3 4 5 6 7
Mike
Mike SuperDork
4/12/18 10:57 p.m.

I hate that I'm really wanting the new EcoSport, and I really want it with the rear mounted spare. 

You cannot get the spare tire in the US on any trim but the stripper S model. That means an AM FM radio. No CD. No smartphone connectivity. 

In India, where the US trucks are made, it's no problem. I just watched an Indian review that featured a loaded EcoSport with SYNC3 and the rear spare. 

I don't know what the problem is.

Honestly, I'd go for the top level if I could get the spare.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
4/12/18 11:04 p.m.

This.  Alas and alack never to be. frown

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
4/13/18 9:10 a.m.

Honda: Another S2000, a Prelude based on the S2000 that's just the hardtop variant with a rear seat for my kids, Hatchback Si cars (Fit, Civic, Accord, Odyssey)

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
4/13/18 12:55 p.m.
Daylan C said:

I want a Miata in sub 3k lbs 4 door sedan form. The mental image is a new BMW E30 thats a Miata. 

I basically came here to say this. I'd buy something from an ND Miata based family of compact, lightweight, decent fuel economy, 4 (real) seat, manual transmission, RWD cars...Available in 2 door, 4 door, convertible, and maybe even 2/4 door wagon variants.

Alternatively, an RX-8 with an engine that doesn't suck for appliance-duty would suffice as well... Their turbo 4 would be fine, but since we're already dreaming, even better would be V6 and/or V8 versions of the upcoming Skyactiv-X engine technology. 

8valve
8valve Reader
4/13/18 1:26 p.m.

Since the OP mentions Mazda.  I'd buy a 5 with the 2.5t and a manual.  Probably even buy it new.  

For my non-mazda first choice, maybe a 4wd toyota turbo diesel manual minivan, like overseas gets.  Even if I have to add urea, no problem.

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
4/13/18 1:33 p.m.

In reply to Mike :

Is the mount something that is part of the hatch or is bolted on to the hatch? Cause if it's the latter can't you get it separately? 

Aspen
Aspen Reader
4/13/18 2:46 p.m.
ddavidv said:

A wagon that doesn't have a sloped rear gate to steal canine headroom from my multiple dog passengers...that is built by a company with trustworthy levels of reliability.

In other words, not a European brand.

Bonus points for manual trans and fun to drive.

Buick Regal Tour X, no bonus points.  It's pretty roomy back there.

noddaz
noddaz SuperDork
4/13/18 2:52 p.m.

A water cooled front engined 1967 Karmann  Ghia convertible.  Anyone stuck one of these on a Miata chassis yet?

Aspen
Aspen Reader
4/13/18 2:54 p.m.

Couple of ideas,

BMW 335 wagon (E91)- RWD with LSD and manual, like they got in Europe.  An F31 in the same configuration would be acceptable.

Lexus CT300h - ie. same as CT200, but with the Camry hybrid drive train and maybe a little more spice available from the battery.  0-60 around 6 seconds or less.

Aspen
Aspen Reader
4/13/18 3:00 p.m.
Ian F said:
pinchvalve said:

The Buick Regal Tour.  I don't want the Outback version, I want the slick Euro wagon version.  Put some GS bits on it too and it would be my replacement for the Rondo. 

I was looking at the Regal Tour at t he NY show last week.  I'm not sure what you mean about the Outback reference, other than the cladding around the wheel openings. The car doesn't have the higher stance like an Outback or even the Volvo V90 XC  The car on display was pure 100% wagon. My buddy (also a wagon nut) and I poured over that car twice.  Once when we first arrived, and then again as we were getting ready to leave.   Of all the cars we looked at, this one impressed us the most.  Might end up as my mother's next car.  

The euro version has no ugly black wheel arches a la Subaru Outback, it looks MUCH better.  I could still see having the US version, but it is not available north of the border.  I checked it out at the Detroit show and didn't find anything wrong other than the cladding.

Curtis
Curtis PowerDork
4/13/18 3:07 p.m.

I want to see more cars like the E30 and Miata, but in more forms.  Maybe something mid-size that comes in coupe, sedan, wagon, and convertible.  Excellent platforms for upgrades.  I want RWD, manual trans option, and the "normal" options like PW, PL, and maybe traction control.  None of that complex automatic braking, lane departure, radar assisted cruise, or dynamic handling control.  Simple, effective, reliable, fun.

Like a Miata, but with a back seat that holds actual humans, or a 3-series that doesn't cost $50k and needs a radiator every 75k.  What I want is something like if Toyota or Mazda made their own 3-series-ish car.

Mike
Mike SuperDork
4/13/18 3:13 p.m.

In reply to Grizz :

At first, I thought it was, but no, the sheet metal is different. It looks like it'll need a whole new hatch. The license plate divot is gone from the hatch door, so the bumper garnish is different too. Different backup camera assembly. Possible wheel compatibility problems, as the camera housing peeks through a wheel spoke.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Dork
4/13/18 4:31 p.m.
nutherjrfan said:

This.  Alas and alack never to be. frown

They'd have sold a zillion of these things... (or so I think)

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
4/13/18 5:01 p.m.

That concept manages to be uglier than the nissans that are on the road now.

In reply to Mike :

Wow that's dumb but to be expected.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
4/13/18 5:46 p.m.

I wish Mercedes would bring back the 300sl gullwing,  just like it was originally,  for 100k or less.  I’d be first in line.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
4/13/18 6:13 p.m.

I could barely afford a brand new Hot Wheels car right now so I'm not really one to ask but I have a couple things I would love to see. 

A Midsize two door RWD car that is reasonably priced. Preferably with a V8.

A small RWD hatchback. 

And one that I'm sure I would be the only one that would buy. A mid engined single seater. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
4/13/18 8:21 p.m.

I have the ability to go buy a brand new car and make payments. I am having a hard time thinking of ANYTHING that "if they build it, i will buy".

They built the challenger. I wont buy.

They are building the jeep truck. I wont buy.

The golf r is a spiritual successor to my protege5 and acr neon. I wont buy. 

It all boils down to how i value my money vs car. Id rather buy a $2500 truck and double my money in it to make a known quantity exactly what i want than go buy a $15k truck that isn't. 

buzzboy
buzzboy Reader
4/13/18 8:21 p.m.
Nick Comstock said:

A small RWD hatchback. 

I love mine and I don't know why they don't exist in the market. All hot hatches are FWD but I like my oversteer dammit.

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
4/13/18 8:49 p.m.

Because hatchbacks are supposed to be fwd.

That's likely the only real reason, it's what people expect so it's what sells.

Casual Six
Casual Six UltraDork
4/13/18 9:50 p.m.

A modern Chevy Astro.

Mike
Mike SuperDork
4/13/18 9:55 p.m.
buzzboy said:
Nick Comstock said:

A small RWD hatchback. 

I love mine and I don't know why they don't exist in the market. All hot hatches are FWD but I like my oversteer dammit.

Good times...

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/13/18 9:56 p.m.
Casual Six said:

A modern Chevy Astro.

The Mercedes Metris is pretty damn close. 

yupididit
yupididit SuperDork
4/13/18 10:49 p.m.

Today I learned how unrealistic we grown men are. Also, most is y'all just need to buy a ND RF and never drop the top. 

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
4/13/18 11:06 p.m.

they make or at least made.. a 1 series BMW as a 2 door hatchback. I would have loved a return to the Ti, but it was never imported to the US.

Same with my Disco, they made a diesel with a manual. Never made it to the states

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
4/13/18 11:26 p.m.
buzzboy said:
Nick Comstock said:

A small RWD hatchback. 

Lift throttle oversteer is a thing and quite fun, plus FWD cars make better use of the available space, so they are more efficient for actually hauling stuff for their size.

3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
E5TItmD5GGDHl2KQywA42o0HRKqZgKqp4ohjZyY9SPjjo9MQdsDAGaEuOP1OFiom