5 6 7 8
TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project Reader
4/15/18 12:55 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Tire rack has Toyo Proxes R888Rs in 205/60R13... a little more than you're looking for price wise and not RWL, but they would probably do well on an RX3.

Agreed about the Aussie-style stance

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
4/15/18 2:07 p.m.

In reply to TheRX7Project :

Those are not street tires.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy PowerDork
4/15/18 4:00 p.m.

I *almost* bought a Chevy SS. It felt great to the point that it seemed like it was custom made for me. If they still made them, I would, but after seeing what happened to parts for the latest GTO, I couldn't pull the trigger.

This mostly leaves the Germans cars for a true 4 door sports sedan, and I just don't have the scratch for those.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
4/15/18 5:31 p.m.

A turbo subaru wagon with a stick.

WRX wagon, Levorg, Legacy GT wagon or Forester XT any of those in manual would have worked.

We ended up with a VW Golf Alltrack with a stick for the wife after 15 years of Subaru wagons since they didn't have a manual turbo wagon option. 

kilgoretrout
kilgoretrout Reader
4/16/18 8:46 a.m.

A lot of this has already been said but I'll add my contribution:

A minivan with 4wd/AWD and ground clearance, with a rubberized floor (pretty much a cargo van). The European Mercedes Metris/Vito or VW Transporter are pretty spot on. Hell, make a modern day Astro on the current Colorado frame and I would go nuts!

I'm a Honda fanboy so I wish they made a Type R that looked like the regular Civic Sport model - none of the spoilers and junk. I also wish they made an E46 BMW copy (2 door and 4 door). A good size sedan/coupe, with rwd, 50/50 weight, a manual, and the J series. They could call it an Acura Integra. Use the same chassis for a Prelude revival. 

Something closer to reality - my wife would have a Crosstrek right now if it had more power. Put the WRX motor in there and we'd own it. Or a 6 spd in the Forester Turbo. Or a manual in the CRV with the Accord/type R 2.0T engine.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/16/18 9:15 a.m.
Knurled. said:

I want street rubber 235/50-13s.

Or 225/50-13s.

Or 205/60-13s.

Or ANY 13s with white letters.

Do it for under $100 each and I'll buy two sets tomorrow.

This, although I'm even less picky.  I'd be happy with pretty much any moderate performance tire in 13" sizes.  I'm a little more flexible on pricing as I fear the quantities of scale won't allow for your $100/ea limit. 

Coker Tire offers re-pops of the old BFG Radial T/A, but not in the 175/70-13 size.  While not the greatest tire in the world by modern standards, I think it would be great for old Spitfires and similar cars with their 50's tech suspension.  I had a set back in the 80's on my Subaru and thought they worked well enough and loved the RWL on the white Subie wagon wheels.  I posted a thread on a Triumph forum trying to gauge interest in hopes of making a case for Coker to offer that size, but typical to crotchety LBC owners, it went no-where.  I know I'd buy 3 or 4 sets. 

Avon apparently makes some 13" street tires, but it doesn't look like they are US-DOT rated (European only) and would probably be a PITA to get. And they are REALLY not cheap.

Casual Six
Casual Six UltraDork
4/16/18 1:30 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:
Casual Six said:

A modern Chevy Astro.

The Mercedes Metris is pretty damn close. 

You're not wrong. I freakin' loved driving those things for work.

Carbon
Carbon SuperDork
4/16/18 6:58 p.m.

I'd buy a new supra, if it was built by toyota not bmw. 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy PowerDork
4/16/18 8:14 p.m.
Greg Voth said:

WRX wagon, Levorg, Legacy GT wagon or Forester XT any of those in manual would have worked.

We ended up with a VW Golf Alltrack with a stick for the wife after 15 years of Subaru wagons since they didn't have a manual turbo wagon option. 

You HAD a Forester XT already, though.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
4/17/18 5:16 p.m.

2nd gen Honda Fit “type r” with K20C1 and AWD.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
4/17/18 5:17 p.m.
poopshovel again said:

What dealership would you buy it from?

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
4/17/18 5:45 p.m.
Woody said:
poopshovel again said:

What dealership would you buy it from?

Why, Hennessy Honda of Woodstock’s wholesale dick bag emporium, of course!!!

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
4/17/18 5:46 p.m.

In reply to Ian F :

People have bought from Demon Tweeks with no difficulty.  Shipping is a little expensive but at the time it was still cheaper than buying certain tires locally.  I'd like to say $60/tyre?  (Demon Tweeks doesn't sell tires)

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/17/18 8:02 p.m.

I've bought rally tires from Demon Tweaks. Cheaper and faster than sourcing them in the US at the time. 

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
4/17/18 8:20 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Yeah, you're one of the people, and those are the certain tires smiley

I remember when the FIRST group tried to get together to import Black Rockets.  What transpired was, in order to get palatable pricing, one would have to order a container-full of tires.  The problem with that is rally tires in the US don't have that much market.  The three or four people who have money just get towering piles of Michelins or Yokohamas, and everyone else buys one or two sets from them and runs them until they're junk, or runs takeoffs, which are tires that have been run into junk and were still worth $50 a piece because what else you gonna buy?

Brian
Brian MegaDork
4/17/18 9:11 p.m.

Nothing because I'm cheap. I would like a proper new CRX.  

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
4/17/18 9:20 p.m.
Brett_Murphy said:
Greg Voth said:

You HAD a Forester XT already, though.

Very true.  It was just getting long in the tooth and she wanted something newer and manual was a requirement. Test drove a new non turbo manual Forester but the VW was leaps and bounds over it in almost every category.

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
4/17/18 9:25 p.m.
Ian F said:
Knurled. said:

Or 225/50-13s.

Or 205/60-13s.

This, although I'm even less picky.  I'd be happy with pretty much any moderate performance tire in 13" sizes.  I'm a little more flexible on pricing as I fear the quantities of scale won't allow for your $100/ea limit. 

Coker Tire offers re-pops of the old BFG Radial T/A, but not in the 175/70-13 size.  While not the greatest tire in the world by modern standards, I think it would be great for old Spitfires and similar cars with their 50's tech suspension.  I had a set back in the 80's on my Subaru and thought they worked well enough and loved the RWL on the white Subie wagon wheels.  I posted a thread on a Triumph forum trying to gauge interest in hopes of making a case for Coker to offer that size, but typical to crotchety LBC owners, it went no-where.  I know I'd buy 3 or 4 sets. 

Avon apparently makes some 13" street tires, but it doesn't look like they are US-DOT rated (European only) and would probably be a PITA to get. And they are REALLY not cheap.

And your wish is Demon-tweaks command - they have ridiculous selection if not the cheapest.

white_fly
white_fly Reader
4/18/18 11:54 a.m.
kilgoretrout said:

Or a manual in the CRV with the Accord/type R 2.0T engine.

I like this. Baby Juke R.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/18/18 12:01 p.m.
white_fly said:
kilgoretrout said:

Or a manual in the CRV with the Accord/type R 2.0T engine.

I like this. Baby Juke R.

HRV with Type R stuff please. 

HFmaxi
HFmaxi New Reader
4/18/18 12:45 p.m.

An dealer with APR and an APR Plus tune will fix the Golf Sportwagen issue no problem: wagen, 6mt, awd, heated seats for under $25k.

I still want a VW Bluesport:

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/18/18 1:54 p.m.

Any of the following with sliding (van) doors would be considered by me right now: 

• Honda Fit
  • Ford Cmax (like they have in Europe...)
  • Toyota Highlander/Lexus RX
  • Honda CRV

Additionally, in the same stream of thought, there are no longer SWB minivans. Doesn't exist. I'd like one of those (and no, the Chevy City/Nissan thing/Transit don't count). 

The other things that I want I think would be too expensive for me to buy right now as a new car, so I'll pass on telling you about those.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
4/18/18 2:02 p.m.

Nothing right now.

But in a few years an uber basic manual Honda Ridgeline.

Mike
Mike SuperDork
4/18/18 4:08 p.m.
mtn said:

Any of the following with sliding (van) doors would be considered by me right now: 

• Honda Fit
  • Ford Cmax (like they have in Europe...)
  • Toyota Highlander/Lexus RX
  • Honda CRV

Additionally, in the same stream of thought, there are no longer SWB minivans. Doesn't exist. I'd like one of those (and no, the Chevy City/Nissan thing/Transit don't count). 

The other things that I want I think would be too expensive for me to buy right now as a new car, so I'll pass on telling you about those.

Mercedes Metris?

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
4/29/18 9:01 a.m.
Knurled. said:

Or 225/50-13s.

Or 205/60-13s.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Radial+T%2FA&partnum=06SR3RADTARWLV2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

OMG OMG OMG

It's happening!

5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uarCc6hD6ZNqZ4gpg63h9el65hsp7w2jDykAquWjI45ceInINcUSucyf4rpkINMg