1 2 3
GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
5/31/20 2:16 p.m.

At about 17 x 15 x 9 inches in size, the SWIND motor here, shown off by Jalopnik is a neat little thing that can either be water cooled or simply oil-cooled as you want. With time and the money I'd try dropping it into some wild Cyberpunk looking trike, but what would the hive do with one?

Also, 97% efficient. Sheesh.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
5/31/20 2:20 p.m.

49kg is a bit too heavy to stick on a strut for axle-less drive, but one on each corner should work nicely.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
5/31/20 2:38 p.m.

stick it in the back of a flathead roadster for an extra boost of power devil

The0retical (Forum Supporter)
The0retical (Forum Supporter) UberDork
5/31/20 2:56 p.m.

Classic Mini or a Spitfire would be awesome.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
5/31/20 3:01 p.m.

Starter motor for an impressively large internal combustion engine?

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
5/31/20 3:10 p.m.

How do you cool it , something  putting out 100hp is going to get hot .

and is it efficient for battery usage ?

thanks for the info

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
5/31/20 3:24 p.m.

Mount 2 in the truck space of a mercy capri xr2 to create an AWD hybrid turbo convertible Capri.

Turbo the BP and you'd have 400hp and under 2700lb. 

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
5/31/20 3:29 p.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

Mount 2 in the truck space of a mercy capri xr2 to create an AWD hybrid turbo convertible Capri.

ohhhh I like the way you think.

barefootskater
barefootskater SuperDork
5/31/20 3:39 p.m.

I'd put it in here:

Maybe try and figure a way to put one in the front too. Then I'd party so hard. 

5/31/20 3:47 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

Thinking more about it, the hatch of a Festiva with a BP+T swapped into the front is probably the better way to go, I don't think the convertible chassis could handle that much grunt. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
5/31/20 3:49 p.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

Quite a few of them had B6Ts from the factory.  I thought all nonturbo XR2s were B6s, not BPs, but now I question that...

edit:  Yep, I was wrong.  There were no nonturbo XR2s.  The nonturbo Capri was just the Capri.

5/31/20 4:12 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

They were B6s, you're correct.

You can upgrade the B6 and deal with the crank nose when doing so) or swap. I lean towards the BP swap as B6 turbo lumps actually go for more in the secondary market then a BP swap, plus BP26 manifold. Where the cost will come in is MS and upgrading the fuel system (because either option loves E85). 

The electric addition really does address the two biggest issues in going north of 250hp, first being the pending gearbox implosion and the second being 205 width tires staring back in confusion regarding what to do with the additional power output. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UberDork
5/31/20 4:16 p.m.

Murdercycle?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
5/31/20 4:27 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

It has been decades since I even saw an XR2 and I wasn't paying attention to the nuts and bolts of it.  Did the Capri B6T have a fuel only computer and a boost retard on the distributor like the 323GTX had?  That would be one major reason to go Megasquirt!

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
5/31/20 4:35 p.m.

IIRC the SmartE motor is similar specs.

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
5/31/20 4:36 p.m.

I already have AWD.

The boost by over half the existing horsepower would be nice.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
5/31/20 4:44 p.m.
The0retical (Forum Supporter) said:

Classic Mini or a Spitfire would be awesome.

This.

Mini and spridgets only have about 65hp factory, donut would be about like a built rvace motor is for those.  How much battery weight is the question.

5/31/20 4:56 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Yes!!

Occasionally an xr2 with a factory hardtop comes up for sale locally. The hardtop is a proper monstrosity of design. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
5/31/20 4:58 p.m.

Make a REALLY fast shoebox?

Will
Will UltraDork
5/31/20 5:05 p.m.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/31/20 5:22 p.m.

Go kart.

Seriously: chain drive to the rear differential in a miata. With a toggle switch labeled turbo to engage it.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/31/20 6:27 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

Go kart.

Seriously: chain drive to the rear differential in a miata. With a toggle switch labeled turbo to engage it.

It has a gearbox. Basically, it's a differential with power. Putting one in a Miata would be so simple. You'd still have to deal with cooling and batteries, but physically installing the motor? Cake.

Me, though - I've looked into this a bit. I'd mount one in a stick axle in place of the differential at each end of my old Land Rover. No need to deal with driveshafts or transfer boxes. No real limits to articulation. With the low gear set, it would have a top speed of about 90 mph and put down about 1100 lbs of torque at each end. 

It would cost about $30k in parts, but it would be spectacular. 

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
5/31/20 6:28 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

It has been decades since I even saw an XR2 and I wasn't paying attention to the nuts and bolts of it.  Did the Capri B6T have a fuel only computer and a boost retard on the distributor like the 323GTX had?  That would be one major reason to go Megasquirt!

There's a guy who makes custom chips for them so you can safely turn the boost up. That's about all I know. Well that, and he also built his own AWD BPT-powered XR2. 

http://www.werbatfik.com/ecu.htm

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
5/31/20 6:32 p.m.

How much torque does that thing make?  

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
5/31/20 6:39 p.m.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EoEGsYVfO7DLnrpokgwQ7xByhe6ILZdt4QtDlOddlF2qUhP7xZeQk4OVjcAFtca3