1 2 3
ScreaminE
ScreaminE HalfDork
9/12/14 7:29 a.m.

I almost feel sorry for you. Selling this car will require a lot of interactions with some complete idiots/cartards. Good luck.

I was looking for a car like yours this time last year. The ones I found in your car's condition were all listed for $7-8k on Craigslist. That was all up and down the East coast. I think folks saying it's worth $4500 would like to think they could find that car for $4500 (not saying it can't be found). I say list it at $6500 and get ready for the "Will you take $2500" lowballers to come out of the wood works. You'll also get trade offers that will make you giggle. I wouldn't sell it for a penny less than $5500. Honestly, you could put the stock parts back on the car and still sell it for $5500. Then sell the rest of the parts separately and come out way ahead. The right buyer will see this car and buy it without hesitation.

rotard
rotard Dork
9/12/14 8:43 a.m.

It would probably go for $5k around here.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
9/12/14 9:28 a.m.
ScreaminE wrote: I almost feel sorry for you. Selling this car will require a lot of interactions with some complete idiots/cartards. Good luck. I was looking for a car like yours this time last year. The ones I found in your car's condition were all listed for $7-8k on Craigslist. That was all up and down the East coast. I think folks saying it's worth $4500 would like to think they could find that car for $4500 (not saying it can't be found). I say list it at $6500 and get ready for the "Will you take $2500" lowballers to come out of the wood works. You'll also get trade offers that will make you giggle. I wouldn't sell it for a penny less than $5500. Honestly, you could put the stock parts back on the car and still sell it for $5500. Then sell the rest of the parts separately and come out way ahead. The right buyer will see this car and buy it without hesitation.

What he said

captdownshift
captdownshift HalfDork
9/12/14 9:38 a.m.

if you decide that it's easier to sale having returned to stock I may know an EP3 owner interested in the suspension bits.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/12/14 10:10 a.m.
clutchsmoke wrote: I think its worth about $6k. Could go higher on eBay.

I agree with this. Possibly list it higher. I would ask $5000 for mine and yours sounds better then mine.

old_
old_ Reader
9/12/14 10:19 a.m.
hobiercr wrote: Hmm, can you post picts and give a few more details? 2/4 door? Manual/Auto? My sister just bought a standard civic for her 16 yr old daughter (5 spd was a requirement). She looked at some newer si's but they a bit out of her $$ range. Now, she kinda wishes she had gotten an Si as the stabdard civic is a bit of a yawn to drive.

They are all 2 dr and all had manual trans.

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
9/12/14 11:36 a.m.

I'm with the $6K crowd. Up here, every existing SI is either completely clapped out, rusted out or modified with only the finest Autozone/Ebay tuning parts. Most are belching a lovely blue/gray cloud that would be perfect for a spy car get away. Most also come stinking of the previous owner's weed stash. The good news is some responsible people are starting to look at them as nostalgia cars and with that comes cash.

So, is this on the GRM classified section yet?

dj06482
dj06482 Dork
9/12/14 12:02 p.m.

I think it could go between 6 and 7k. I've found it's best to return a car to stock for the sale, and then sell the modifications separately. Mods (even tasteful ones) seem to bring down the value of a car. By selling it as a stock car (which makes it a unicorn), you'll get top dollar. Given the quality of your mods, I think you'll have no trouble selling those separately.

Contradiction
Contradiction Reader
9/12/14 12:16 p.m.

Go post it for sale on www.honda-tech.com and make sure you include the words "Golden Era Honda" in the FS thread title. There's some moron there that absolutely INSISTS that 90's Hondas will someday hold more value then "Golden Era" muscle cars. I bet he would pay $8K for it. LOL

I'm not saying this to be dismissive of the car, but I just find that notion funny. While these are great cars I don't think Honda's have a broad mass appeal that a classic mustang, camaro, mopar, vette etc. does and nor will they ever. There will certainly be people who feel a great deal of nostalgia for these cars someday, but not to the same extent as classic muscle cars.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/12/14 12:26 p.m.

In reply to Contradiction:

Why won't they? They were a dream cars of every 16 yea old of that time just like the muscle cars. I think value is only going one way.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
9/12/14 1:28 p.m.
dj06482 wrote: I think it could go between 6 and 7k. I've found it's best to return a car to stock for the sale, and then sell the modifications separately. Mods (even tasteful ones) seem to bring down the value of a car. By selling it as a stock car (which makes it a unicorn), you'll get top dollar. Given the quality of your mods, I think you'll have no trouble selling those separately.

^This.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UberDork
9/12/14 1:40 p.m.
pimpm3 wrote: I would guess 7k. A clean, non-destroyed, electron blue civic Si is kind of a Unicorn. When someone offer you 4500 tell them "...find another one".

This. I'd fly down to buy it from Canuckistan at the $4500 price!

trucke
trucke HalfDork
9/12/14 2:19 p.m.

I have a friend who bought a new 2000 Si for his wife's 70th birthday. She still drives it!

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Associate Editor
9/12/14 2:30 p.m.

So... has anybody else emailed him an offer?

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
9/12/14 3:13 p.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: So... has anybody else emailed him an offer?

I haven't. Because thieves. (In my area).

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
9/12/14 4:18 p.m.

To be fair--- David's wife's car is about the nicest Civic Si in existence. It's been babied by an enthusiast family since new---never tracked, and looked after meticulously. If I was hot for one, it would be the holy grail as far as those cars go.

What is one of the nicest ones in the world worth? I'd say closer to $10K than $5K. In a world where Mk1 Sciroccos can bring $7K, and AE86 Corollas are sold for even more---- I'd say anything under $10K would be a bargain.

I'd also return it to stock before selling. Although you occasionally see nice ones around, you hardly ever see bone-stock ones out there. If he returned her's to stock--- it would look brand new. (only better because the new ones are ugly IMHO)

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/12/14 5:07 p.m.

Hey, I got an offer. And it's lower than I'd sell it for.

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
9/12/14 5:19 p.m.

I just sent you one too...

Contradiction
Contradiction Reader
9/12/14 5:34 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: In reply to Contradiction: Why won't they? They were a dream cars of every 16 yea old of that time just like the muscle cars. I think value is only going one way.

My point is I feel like Hondas and imports in general are a niche market for enthusiasts. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against these cars and they were great for their time, I just don't see a Honda being universally "cool" to everyone. I also think that there's a certain factor of rarity, exclusivity, and original value that makes something truely a "collectable" and I question whether any Honda/Acura outside of maybe a Type R or an immaculate CRX Si might get to that point someday. If I really wanted a CRX or an EG Hatch and I found an exceptionally clean one I'd consider paying $5K - $8K for it if it was that unmolested and perfect but in 20 years would I pay $30K for it? In 50 years would I pay $200K for it like someone would for a Shelby GT 500, a Boss 429, a Yenko Camaro, a Big Block Vette, a Superbird, a Hemi Cuda, etc? I just don't see the ceiling being that high for them. They will certainly have a value to them someday, but I think outside of maybe Supras, RX7s, 3000GT VR4s, etc. there isn't going to be someone paying 6 figures for an import car in 40 years.

I think a car like this over time will certainly gain some value as there are less clean, non rusted out, non wrecked, non-stolen and parted out Civic Sis, GSRs, and Type Rs out there, but I think they may end up being $20,000 cars not $200,000 cars. I certainly respect them and I think of them as good cars but I still think they fall into a niche market.

Hell my car falls into that category too. I paid $4K for a 77K mile bone stock 84 VW Rabbit GTI last year and I feel like I got a good deal on it. A similar car with less mileage or some vintage performance goodies like a Callaway Turbo setup in excellent shape or restored may go for $8K - $10K. I could see these being worth $15K in ten years maybe too. There will always be a following for them but like a Civic Si I don't think the value for them will sky rocket.

My apologies to the OP as well. I didn't mean to thread jack or crap on his car. From the sounds of it it sounds like a great example of one of these and I'd pay $6K for it if I really wanted one of those.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
9/12/14 7:29 p.m.

In reply to Contradiction:

I don't know man, the go fast variants of a certain FWD British E36 M3can sure are worth a lot these days.

Harvey
Harvey Reader
9/13/14 9:44 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Hey, I got an offer. And it's lower than I'd sell it for.

The best is when you get an offer you do like and you accept and then the person disappears into the Internet ether never to be heard from again.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/13/14 12:51 p.m.
pimpm3 wrote: I just sent you one too...

You know, I didn't get that one. Feel free to resend. I'll post some photos this weekend, too.

Right now, all signs are pointing towards an eBay listing in the next few days. Still, I'd love to see it go to a good home.

Flynlow
Flynlow Reader
9/15/14 7:27 a.m.
Contradiction wrote: I also think that there's a certain factor of rarity, exclusivity, and original value that makes something truely a "collectable" and I question whether any Honda/Acura outside of maybe a Type R or an immaculate CRX Si might get to that point someday.

I....disagree....

ScreaminE
ScreaminE HalfDork
9/15/14 7:29 a.m.

It had to be said...

unevolved
unevolved Dork
9/15/14 10:05 a.m.

Slightly related... My dad's got a low-mileage, bone stock AP2 S2K that's a rare weekend driver. I fully intend on buying it from him when he's done with it, and parking it for a long time. 90% for sentimental reasons (I'm still mad he didn't hold on to his old Datsun from when I was a kid), but it'll be interesting to see how they age. According to KBB, it's slightly increased in value since he bought it in 2011.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XLlDSSWS6mAtf7qtyYkFiw3Ph7JjmdN70Emfq9dO3hxDaIqNG3FuMKDZpOMLsAkq