Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
12/3/12 12:20 p.m.

Ford just recalled all of them, again, for major engine fires. Link: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/30/ford-recalling-89k-2013-fusion-and-escape-models-over-engine-fir/

They are saying not to drive them. It's the 3rd recall of this motor already.

Anybody have any ideas?

Concerned as this is supposed to be the Fiesta ST motor, dammit!

Ranger50
Ranger50 UberDork
12/3/12 12:27 p.m.

Many possibilities.... Wonder if, of the cars already burned, they can't figure out what the root cause is from the damage.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Reader
12/3/12 12:28 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote: Many possibilities.... Wonder if, of the cars already burned, they can figure out what the root cause is from the damage.

I hope this doesn't scare the public out of small displacement turbo engines like GM did to diesel in the 80s otherwise its back to pushrods we go!

:(

Ranger50
Ranger50 UberDork
12/3/12 12:32 p.m.

In reply to fidelity101:

I don't think it will go that drastic.... But it is probably something stupid like a wire loom too close to one of those HPDI injectors that is getting hot, melting the loom which is leading to the fire...

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
12/3/12 12:33 p.m.

Well come on now, give them some slack. Turbochargers are new technology and there's bound to be some teething issues.

Oh.... wait.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
12/3/12 12:41 p.m.

In reply to Ranger50:

Our Grand Prix got recalled because the original plug wire looms were plastic troughs that mounted right under the valve covers. Many miles later the vc gaskets would leak and the troughs would fill with oil and catch fire. Literally the first thing I did when I opened the hood on our car was yank those idiotic things for regular looms. The recall came 6 years later. Of course GM won't change the VC gaskets (ours don't leak @ 130K FWIW).

I imagine the Ford deal must be something dumb like that, too. They had an idiotic thing with cruise control switches for decades, too. Many garage fires from that one.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
12/3/12 12:41 p.m.

In reply to 92CelicaHalfTrac:

I LOL'd at work!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH PowerDork
12/3/12 12:42 p.m.

(Turbos + anything vaguely flammable) / cramped modern engine bay = FYER!

fidelity101
fidelity101 Reader
12/3/12 12:49 p.m.

In reply to Ranger50:

Thats true, I guess even with all the fires relating to ABS connectors causing fires from hydraulic fluid leaking into them in the various ford SUV recalls and etc we still like having ABS.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UberDork
12/3/12 12:56 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

You don't have to tell me about the GM W body fire BS.... I know I have said it before, but the wife's 00 MCSS burnt up BEFORE that stupid recall came out.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic HalfDork
12/3/12 1:30 p.m.

It even catches fire, just like a real Aston Martin!

yamaha
yamaha Dork
12/3/12 2:15 p.m.
fidelity101 wrote: In reply to Ranger50: Thats true, I guess even with all the fires relating to ABS connectors causing fires from hydraulic fluid leaking into them in the various ford SUV recalls and etc we still like having ABS.

I don't......I've disabled it on everything of mine that had it.

I don't see the problem, although perhaps they allowed the Italians to design something on the fords?

fidelity101
fidelity101 Reader
12/3/12 2:57 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: It even catches fire, just like a Ferrari!

fixed :)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
u7zDbeirAQKEDmeoEPc74QeiIRCa3NEX94goZLUagpRt8LysRNQXYKr6SCmGByXu