1 2
frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
8/7/21 2:40 p.m.

Time to empty the attic. I've lived here 38 years and 10 hours of hustling got it down to the garage to wait for the dumpster to arrive. 
 I'll be honest, most is trash.  But boxes full of books and Magazines going into the dumpster seems wrong. 
I've  got Road and Track going back to the early 50's, Boxes of Victory Lanes and other Vintage racing mags. None are in pristine unread condition.  But surely don't deserve to be turned into land fill. 

Countingcrowbars
Countingcrowbars UltraDork
8/7/21 2:43 p.m.

I honestly don't know. Moved in a month ago here. Peeked my head up there once, immediately felt like hell. Vowed to never go again. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
8/7/21 2:50 p.m.

That's the trouble with old magazines - they're fun to pick up once in a while to re-read, but they take up a ton of space and it's difficult to even give the things away, let alone sell them.  I'm in the same situation, with a lifetime's worth of boxes full of old car and motorcycle mags.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/7/21 3:09 p.m.

Nothing in the house attic, garage attic?   Hooboy!  Bicycles, 5 or 6, 914 parts, vinyl siding, a humpback clothes trunk with 1926 newspapers, art our son made for college classes; he used car parts to express whatever the assignment was.  Two Chevy rims with snows, aluminum Ford alloy wheels, and where the hell did I get rolls of red, black and dark tan pleather?

I thought I could empty the garage in a week or so, everyone just laughed ......

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
8/7/21 3:37 p.m.

I have Road & Track back to the 60s  and maybe 50s, and numerous others. They are in boxes in the back of my office - out of the way. At some point I will open a box and see what each has. If an article seems interesting I'll scan it for later then sell off a years worth at a time via eBay. 

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and MegaDork
8/7/21 3:51 p.m.

Nothing. I cleared it out a couple of years ago and dared anyone to store crap up there again. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/7/21 3:53 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

That's the trouble with old magazines - they're fun to pick up once in a while to re-read, but they take up a ton of space and it's difficult to even give the things away, let alone sell them.  I'm in the same situation, with a lifetime's worth of boxes full of old car and motorcycle mags.

Which is funny, because I just picked up 42 Wings  & Airpower  magazines up at Oshkosh.  I will never willingly give them up.​​​​​​

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/7/21 4:06 p.m.

I have about 20 13" Hoosier bia plys 

My brakes no longer clear 13" so if anyone is interested, they're free for the takio. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
8/7/21 4:14 p.m.

Nothing and I intend to keep it that way. I cleared out boxes of magazines years ago. I only kept the ones that have personal meaning to me (read I was in it) 

I've enjoyed the magazines but if I can't easily pass them on then in the recycling bin they go.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
8/7/21 5:14 p.m.

My dad lived in his house close to 50 years.   Two floors of stuff with a full basement and a 2-1/2 car garage.   All stocked with a ton of antiques, furniture, tools - just a lot of stuff.   

As a joke I mentioned we should "forget" the crap in the garage attic when we were cleaning it out and that the next owner can deal with it.  (We didn't).  

One day Pop mentions all the rare coins, wheat pennies and silver dollars his family collected were hidden in a gym bag in the attic.  

Thanks Dad.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/7/21 5:24 p.m.

12 inches of pink fiberglass insulation.  We don't attic store stuff here very much.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
8/7/21 5:32 p.m.

One pristine 94-98 Mustang GT dash.  Like all from that era they are cracking.  A set of OEM 96 SS Camaro 17x9s and camping gear.  

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
8/7/21 7:45 p.m.

What a distraction. A virtual lifetime of car magazines . Stuff going back to the 5th grade

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/7/21 7:53 p.m.
jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
8/7/21 7:55 p.m.

I am at my parents house right now. Two days ago I was the first child to venture up there in probably 20 years.

A quick list of what I found;

The basinet I was kept in when I came home from the hospital(I'm 54 now)

A Schwinn Traveler 10 speed

A lobster trap from one of our vacations

My dad's foot locker with a couple of his air force uniforms

An NOS Opel Manta front valance I thought I had given away 30 years ago

A tandem kids tricycle

A flexible plastic 4 person toboggan that was the fastest thing east of the Mississippi. We named it "Christine" because it tried to kill people. One friend broke his back on it, another screwed up his hip. The hip injury may have shortened his MLB pitching career later in life.

A Motolita steering wheel

There is more but I didn't get too far from the stairs.

I'm taking the Manta valance and tricycle back to Florida with me this trip.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/7/21 9:19 p.m.

Attic in the house has boxes full of Blue Willow china.  I mean BOXES.  I could do service for 40 easily, with soup bowls, salad plates, napkin rings, salt and pepper shakers, serving dishes, coffee mugs, tea cups and saucers... even embroidered blue willow linen napkins.

Attic in the garage has a bunch of car parts that I can't possibly part with, but haven't used in 20 years.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/7/21 9:28 p.m.

Not a damn thing in the attic space above the house! There's attic space over the garage that has sleds and Christmas tree and 72-quart cooler and MonZora parts, and that's it.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle UltraDork
8/7/21 9:38 p.m.

We moved 8 times in 20 years. Got tired of moving old magazines and stuff along the way and threw it all out in the recycle bin. 

GM > MG
GM > MG New Reader
8/7/21 10:40 p.m.

Nada. Zero. Not one thing.

Our attic gets so hot you could melt steel up there...

johndej
johndej Dork
8/7/21 11:12 p.m.

Our "attic" is craw spaces but we swap plastic containers of summer and winter clothes in and out with them. Also air handler for upstairs AC lives there. Pic unrelated, not mine, and also posted on project cars on trailers (on trailers) thread...

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
8/8/21 9:49 a.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

How in the world did you get that much China?   

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/8/21 10:01 a.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

How in the world did you get that much China?   

Grandparents.  It was their wedding china.  They were married in the 30s and got a full set.  Then every year they would go to Macy's after Christmas and find pieces on clearance.  They had two homes full of it.  The cabinets in the kitchen had a regular rotation as their daily-use pieces, the buffet and cabinets in the dining room had a complete set of the "looks good on display" collection, their vacation home was fully stocked with it, and they had a full set in their motorhome.

After they passed, I went down with a van and it took all weekend to pack and inventory it.  I filled a Toyota Sienna with boxes and there is still a complete set down there at the farm which we now use as a hunting camp.

Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
8/8/21 10:05 a.m.

Insulation. Nothing else. I hate working in attics, and storing crap up there is inconvenient enough that I wouldn't even go up to retrieve 99.9% of the historical artifacts I chose to store up there.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
8/8/21 11:04 a.m.

In reply to Brotus7 :

My attic is 30'x30' and most of it is walk around height. Plus a solid floor to walk on with 4 dual casement windows in the 4 walk in Dormers.  So I just can't ignore that space. But we are converting it to an artist studio, Loft space.  

preach (fs)
preach (fs) HalfDork
8/8/21 11:05 a.m.

House: Nothing but blown in insulation (probably asbestos), old wiring, fiberglass insulation, and dryrotted barn board leavings from when the new roof was put on.

It's difficult to get up there as you have to climb into the ceiling via the bathtub.

Barn: WAY too much junk, Jeep parts, 914 parts, misc GM stuff, a Taurus 2 spd electric fan, a seized crappy chainsaw, some Vanagon parts, various Opel parts, golf clubs, a bowling ball named Gabby, some old pictures, a moose antler (slightly chewed by some sort of rodent), a pile of fiberglass insulation that became a squirrel nest, a bunch of gun cases that were peed on by a cat. I am sure there is more.

My E36 M3ty basement is nearly as bad.

I need a roll away dumpster.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Plc6qnSga71ODZ86UaZPCam2D5xEhWhJrV6QnL9Iyq72gMYZjCo3XnKUkzpFR91H