1 2 3 4
captdownshift
captdownshift SuperDork
6/17/15 3:05 p.m.

No Maserati Biturbo

racerfink
racerfink SuperDork
6/17/15 3:56 p.m.

WAYYYY to many of you voting wrong on the RX-7/944 one. And no FWD car should make it past any RWD car.

turboswede
turboswede MegaDork
6/17/15 4:12 p.m.

In reply to racerfink:

Hmm, so you're saying people should vote for the poorly implemented Japanese ripoff of the Porsche 924?

1st gen RX-7 was cribbed from the 924's styling

2nd gen RX-7 was cribbed from the 944's styling (which is an evolution of the 924)

3rd gen finally decided to steal styling from the Italians (and did it well), but reliability was somehow worse.

Also, I'd take a GLH-S or a CRX over any of the Mazda's listed in that poll.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/17/15 4:25 p.m.

Toughest choice for me was the 944 vs FB RX7. I have had both. Loved both. It was like having to pick one of my kids over another.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/17/15 4:27 p.m.

The BMW vs MR2 was tough. I consider both to be sporty but for compleetly different reasons. In the end it came down to the number of seats so the BMW lost.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
6/17/15 5:59 p.m.

I dont get the Fiero vs 308 match up. Why not include the Caravan and put that up against the 308? Makes as much sense to me

rustysteel
rustysteel Reader
6/17/15 9:20 p.m.

I, like many here, saw these cars as new. I owned many F-bodies but since I own an '88 Mustang LX 5.0L my vote went the way of the 'Stang. The rest were tougher to decide. I went MR2 over the 3 series only for the fact that, as a teenager, I had to wash the bosses 325e. I really disliked that individual. Fun survey.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
6/17/15 10:42 p.m.

I am beyond shocked that both CRXs are currently losing their matchups. I smell a conspiracy.

racerfink
racerfink SuperDork
6/17/15 10:53 p.m.

In reply to turboswede: when I wrote that, the RX-7 was ahead of the 944.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
6/17/15 11:35 p.m.

I'd pick a Fiero over an MR2 but no way over the 308.

And how in the berkeley is the gaddam Rustang beating out the Camaro. I realize this is a very Ford-centric board but I didn't realize that common sense was so lacking

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
6/17/15 11:35 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: I am beyond shocked that both CRXs are currently losing their matchups. I smell a conspiracy.

Euro always beats Japanese. Always.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
6/17/15 11:42 p.m.
captdownshift wrote: No Maserati Biturbo

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
6/18/15 7:44 a.m.

I struggled with the CRX matchups.

I had to go with the Rabbit GTi over the earlier CRX. But I went the later one over the Shelby. Those are the only ones I had to even think about. I mean Fiero vs 308. That is the easiest pick of all time.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
6/18/15 7:57 a.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: I am beyond shocked that both CRXs are currently losing their matchups. I smell a conspiracy.

Maybe the conspiracy was having two CRX in the field when other worthy contenders were left out. Same for the Rabbit/Golf.

yupididit
yupididit Reader
6/18/15 8:25 a.m.

No Starquest, no vote.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel HalfDork
6/18/15 10:38 a.m.

I personally feel the 911 and the c4 should have been further apart.

the 911 was a great car and all, but that c4 is ICONIC. To me if they had been in separate fields they probably would have made it quite far down the ladder.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Reader
6/18/15 10:52 a.m.

Well this poll has washed out well... Maybe try this again GRM. This time with the overwhelming suggestions considered?

Wally
Wally MegaDork
6/18/15 11:07 a.m.

The second CRX could have been the Starquest and the Mustang could have been the Caravan.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Reader
6/18/15 11:20 a.m.

Caravan? No dude. This is a sports car forum. We're talking sports oriented cars here.

Mustang should be included. Especially against the chamaro. That's a classic match up. Two crx? No. Two goofswagen rabbits? Lol no. Ferrari versus a cheapo gm turd? No. Fix match ups, diversify car spread. And I agree with no starquest. I like them too, but you don't see me whining about not have the mk3 Celica, or mk2 supra... Can't have it all.

yupididit
yupididit Reader
6/18/15 12:45 p.m.

When you look at the Starquest it screams 80's. They didn't state the requirements for a car to be the best 80's sports car. But, Starquest were 80's only and sports cars. And they scream 80's!

I had a guy in my garage who never seen one before and he asked, "what's that black 80's looking car right there? "

evildky
evildky SuperDork
6/18/15 12:45 p.m.
Nick_Comstock wrote:
Euro always beats Japanese. Always.

In cost of maintenance, yes euro cars will always cost more to buy and to keep on the road.

yupididit
yupididit Reader
6/18/15 12:52 p.m.

We're forgetting the 190e cosworth cards too. Mmmm 80's goodness!

captdownshift
captdownshift SuperDork
6/18/15 12:53 p.m.
evildky wrote: In cost of maintenance, yes euro cars will always cost more to buy and to keep on the road.

Hence the BiTurbo needing to be included. They only RAN in the 80s

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
6/18/15 1:47 p.m.

Not entirely sure why the Fiero is on the list. It wasn't a sports car until '88, and by then it was pretty much an afterthought. Up against the car that put Ferrari in the mainstream...uh yeah...no contest. Should have been Fiero against the MR2, where the MR2 would have won anyway.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
6/18/15 2:48 p.m.

Yeah, this whole thing feels like an April Fools joke, or a Jalopnic article.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6d7TrlnQx8IQ3WafxtrJeqc2Sh8tLAsxdtMb8iLF6O3laYhGgc95EWeaaNcbnlsV