1 2 3 4 5
oldsaw
oldsaw UltimaDork
6/18/15 3:15 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: I am beyond shocked that both CRXs are currently losing their matchups. I smell a conspiracy.

It's because of all those rwd philistines who have never learned how to drive fwd competently, let alone quickly.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
6/18/15 3:30 p.m.

No Bertone X1/9? No Saab Turbo? No Isuzu Impulse? And Honda's sportscar was the Prelude. All us normal guys always considered the Civic to be an economy car, it's virtues notwithstanding.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
6/18/15 6:36 p.m.

Fine, we'll do a second list featuring the Renault GTA, Merkur XR4Ti, Twin-stick Mitsubishi Mirage and Ford EXP.

Happy now?

Wally
Wally MegaDork
6/18/15 7:07 p.m.

No Z24? I am outraged!

turboswede
turboswede MegaDork
6/18/15 7:08 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: Fine, we'll do a second list featuring the Renault GTA, Merkur XR4Ti, Twin-stick Mitsubishi Mirage and Ford EXP. Happy now?

Well, not if you're going to make it that hard to choose its not!

Obviously though it would be the twin-stick Mirage. Obviously.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
6/18/15 8:54 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: Fine, we'll do a second list featuring the Renault GTA, Merkur XR4Ti, Twin-stick Mitsubishi Mirage and Ford EXP. Happy now?

Lemme guess, the EXP will be up against the Countach.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
6/18/15 9:59 p.m.

I'm surprised the Integrale hasn't been mentioned..

JG Pasterjak
6/18/15 11:08 p.m.
92dxman wrote: I'm surprised the Integrale hasn't been mentioned..

It almost made the list, but, you know, we had to get the Sterling 825 on there, so...

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
6/18/15 11:26 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote:
92dxman wrote: I'm surprised the Integrale hasn't been mentioned..
It almost made the list, but, you know, we had to get the Sterling 825 on there, so...

Right behind the reliant scimitar.

Gotta draw the line somewhere you guys are doing ok.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku PowerDork
6/19/15 9:38 a.m.
Wally wrote: No Z24? I am outraged!

Good point. Add the X-11 and Sunbird turbo!!

captdownshift
captdownshift SuperDork
6/19/15 9:41 a.m.

Subaru XT

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
6/19/15 10:16 a.m.

When I learned that the Celebrity Eurosport VR wasn't going to be included, I stormed out of the meeting. This contest is an unconscionable perversion! A travesty I tell you.....a travesty!

TR8owner
TR8owner HalfDork
6/19/15 10:21 a.m.

In reply to Joe Gearin:

Ha! My buddy had one of those as his company car.

oldsaw
oldsaw UltimaDork
6/19/15 10:30 a.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: When I learned that the Celebrity Eurosport VR wasn't going to be included, I stormed out of the meeting. This contest is an unconscionable perversion! A travesty I tell you.....a travesty!

You should have stormed out because the magazine was going to publish a flawed poll destined to become click-bait a la Jalopnik.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
6/19/15 11:06 a.m.

GTV6?

I'd take that over the RX7 or 924/944.

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
6/19/15 11:25 a.m.

Hey, the Eurosport VR was awesome, the Pontiac 6000 STE was just as chock full of 80's goodness.

If we're going to do a round of 80's obscurity, we must include:

I spoke to these guys ^ when they first brought the car to CMP for LeMons last fall. They've put a E36 M3 load of work into it to get it to just turn laps...which it does on occasion.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Reader
6/19/15 11:46 a.m.

You guys crack me up! Every time I visit this board I learn of new 80's cars I didn't know about. What the frick was gm doing in the 80's????

mr2peak
mr2peak HalfDork
6/19/15 12:35 p.m.

Why not do like-cars vs like-cars?

Aka mr2 vs fiero?

I can't vote. Those are the two chassis I've spent my life modifying. Mr2 was the best corner-car, e30 was the best everything-else.

Why'd the mr2 have to be so god-dammed ugly?

frogy130
frogy130 New Reader
6/19/15 1:31 p.m.

So if I was a betting man from what I have seen so far my guess to the final 2 cars will be the 911 vs the MR2. With the 911 taking the win.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
6/19/15 1:49 p.m.
TR8owner wrote: In reply to Joe Gearin: Ha! My buddy had one of those as his company car.

Wow--- they splurged for the VR model huh? Musta been a fat cat-type job.

and to be honest......I was not consulted in the picking of the cars in question. ( see---this leaves me free and clear from any bitching! ) I probably would have included the Grand National, or GNX, but they really aren't "sports cars". Those cars sure had an impression on me in the 80s though......

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
6/19/15 2:30 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote:
DaveEstey wrote: First gen RX7 over the much better 2nd gen?
Second gen is probably a better car, but the first gen is more of an icon. That was another tough call.

I picked the Rx-7 over the Porsche.

If it was 1st against 2nd gen, that would be a tough call, but I would pick the 1st gen.

JG Pasterjak
6/19/15 7:28 p.m.

Once the list was compiled, we ranked the cars from 1-16 purely based on what we thought was the coolest, most fun, most historically durable and most significant. Then the bracket was created tournament style, so 1 was paired off against 16, 2 vs 15, 3 vs 14, etc., just like most tournaments. So that's how the matchups got created. Brackets like this are basically created so that the strongest teams are the ones that tend to advance. But there's always going to be some early favorites that get knocked out in early rounds, just because of particularly brutal matchups (like MR2 vs E30).

Crazy us, we thought it would be, you know, fun.

curtis73
curtis73 UberDork
6/19/15 8:29 p.m.

No Grand National? Bummer.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy PowerDork
6/19/15 10:17 p.m.

I voted GTI over CRX becaue the GTI started the hot hatch craze and I've always thought the CRX is butt-ugly.

JG Pasterjak
6/19/15 10:35 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: the GTI started the hot hatch craze

We always say that, but is it really true?

Serious question. Can anyone think of a car pre-GTI that made people believe that "sporty" and "compact fwd" could be mentioned in the same breath? Is there an argument to be made that the Civic started the fire and the GTI fanned the flames?

Always fun to fact-check conventional wisdom from time to time.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mN9ICmKg991P5YXuhiOIStNyYXFa2e0yDxOIotWpnVhuJlSZeukVhfcqse7cTvlw