3 4 5
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ HalfDork
6/24/15 1:17 p.m.

In reply to irish44j:

In all seriousness, some really good, and valid, points here. That said, with no metric for "best" it's always going to be opinion. I'll pick MR2 every time, because it's what I know, what I like, and it's what, when I was a kid growing up in the 90s, I nearly broke my neck trying to get a better look at- it was an insane cartoon of a car, and it was awesome. The e30 was just a sorta fun car for real grownups. I have no idea how much all that influences my feelings today, but I've owned an AW11 and want another, while I've never owned an e30 and don't really want to

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
6/24/15 1:25 p.m.

I used to kick some serious butt with that car.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
6/24/15 1:43 p.m.

I call bogus. I've been watching this for a while. The GLH and CRX have been pretty close for the whole time. Then, overnight the spread went from 30 or so, properly in yhe GLHs favor, to a few HUNDRED in the CRXs favor.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
6/24/15 1:46 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: In reply to irish44j: In all seriousness, some really good, and valid, points here. That said, with no metric for "best" it's always going to be opinion. I'll pick MR2 every time, because it's what I know, what I like, and it's what, when I was a kid growing up in the 90s, I nearly broke my neck trying to get a better look at- it was an insane cartoon of a car, and it was awesome. The e30 was just a sorta fun car for real grownups. I have no idea how much all that influences my feelings today, but I've owned an AW11 and want another, while I've never owned an e30 and don't really want to

I agree with this entirely. I've owned a dozen or so MR2s, I've driven and raced E30's, and the MR2 to me is simply more special. The BMW is a great car, but great in a middle age, upright, kind of way. The MR2 is a young kid trouble maker.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
6/24/15 7:46 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: In reply to irish44j: In all seriousness, some really good, and valid, points here. That said, with no metric for "best" it's always going to be opinion. I'll pick MR2 every time, because it's what I know, what I like, and it's what, when I was a kid growing up in the 90s, I nearly broke my neck trying to get a better look at- it was an insane cartoon of a car, and it was awesome. The e30 was just a sorta fun car for real grownups. I have no idea how much all that influences my feelings today, but I've owned an AW11 and want another, while I've never owned an e30 and don't really want to

Funny thing is, before I owned one, I was the guy who was always like "what's the big deal with e30s, they're just a yuppie commuter car" (go back and find some old posts of mine and you can see that). Until I got a base-level early M10 car....the "worst" e30....and instantly it was my favorite car to drive (over my WRX and my GT6).....And in all seriousness here, I have always loved MR2s. I'm simply trying to make a non-subjective point. Take an AW11 and put it against a 325is or 318is stock for stock, and the AW11 will likely lose in most any motorsport, drivers being equal. Match them up in a "cool car" contest, and the AW11 will win every time.

Again comes down to what one thinks a "sportscar" is. Is sportscar about the looks, or is it about the performance? The sport-model e30 coupe is basically pretty similar in performing to the Porsche 944. The 944 just doesn't look like a box, it looks like what people think a sportscar looks like. But both have backseats. Both are RWD. Both are front-engined. Both could be had with LSD. Both have spec racing series. So what's a sportscar?

Also I still think it would have been more legitimate had the e30 been specifically the M3, which is a legitimate sportscar in most respects except boxy shape.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
6/24/15 7:49 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: In reply to irish44j: I was going to try to draft up a witty reply about e30 koolaid, etc. but...

....but the only rallycross you ever won was driving my e30.....not your MR2, Mustang, or Celica (all "legitimate sportscars) We miss you out there Chris. You should hit up Russ and see if you can co-drive his MR2 sometime!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ HalfDork
6/24/15 7:59 p.m.

In reply to irish44j:

Ah, but I have a plan... you'll see...

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
6/24/15 8:05 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: In reply to irish44j: Ah, but I have a plan... you'll see...

You always do, lol. And I'm sure it will be utterly ridiculous yet still somehow successful :)

I suspect it's similar to my plan (but in a less yuppie and less-4-door car), and involves a fully RA-spec cage ;)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ HalfDork
6/24/15 8:28 p.m.
irish44j wrote:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: In reply to irish44j: I was going to try to draft up a witty reply about e30 koolaid, etc. but...
....but the only rallycross you ever won was driving my e30.....

This is actually not true, I won SR with the Celica in a different region against a BRZ... but your point stands. I was never saying the e30 isn't a more competitive car in most things, just that "better" can mean whatever the hell you want it to mean. Otherwise, your GT6 wouldn't be worth having, would it?

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill SuperDork
6/24/15 8:40 p.m.

Round 2 and no RX-7

lesabre400
lesabre400 New Reader
6/24/15 9:20 p.m.

This issue was in the mailbox when I got home tonight. Nearly set my eyebrows on fire trying to light the barbeque and read at the same time. If I were in a bitchy mood, I'd crab about the lack of a Celica Supra or 300ZX Shiro Edition. But this was still a totally rad, totally fun read.

Coincidentally, I stumbled on a 1984 Car&Driver article while eating my lunch, featuring a similar battle.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/audi-quattro-vs-porsche-911-and-six-others-archived-comparison

Universe: "Buy a 944." Me: "Ok."

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
6/24/15 9:31 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote:
irish44j wrote:
....but the only rallycross you ever won was driving my e30.....
This is actually not true, I won SR with the Celica in a different region against a BRZ... but your point stands. I was never saying the e30 isn't a more competitive car in most things, just that "better" can mean whatever the hell you want it to mean. Otherwise, your GT6 wouldn't be worth having, would it?

Lol, I was going to mention the GT6 earlier but didn't. Honestly, the GT6 is a generally terrible car in most ways (though it does look cool). I have it mostly for sentimental value (it was my dad's) but it's been in the storage shed off insurance for over a year now, since I really have no urge to actually drive it. I may actually give it back to my dad (who lives out in a rural area) so at least it can get driven. Driving it here in suburbia sucks, honestly.

Point taken on better though. The GT6 is by far the best-looking car I've ever owned, and the one that gets the most thumbs-up from other drivers :)

But it would get beaten badly in any performance category by the E36 M3tiest econobox from the 1990s, most likely...

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UberDork
6/24/15 10:47 p.m.
DrBoost wrote: I call bogus. I've been watching this for a while. The GLH and CRX have been pretty close for the whole time. Then, overnight the spread went from 30 or so, properly in yhe GLHs favor, to a few HUNDRED in the CRXs favor.

Yeah I can remember my dad's GLH and his buddies CRX. Even as a kid I was far more impressed with the GLH. There is still part of me that wants a GLHS and I hate FWD with a passion.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
6/25/15 7:36 a.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote:
Brett_Murphy wrote: the GTI started the hot hatch craze
We always say that, but is it really true? Serious question. Can anyone think of a car pre-GTI that made people believe that "sporty" and "compact fwd" could be mentioned in the same breath? Is there an argument to be made that the Civic started the fire and the GTI fanned the flames? Always fun to fact-check conventional wisdom from time to time.

Umm...

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Editorial Assistant
7/13/15 9:14 a.m.

So we're into the finals now. Looks like the E30 is putting a whooping on the 911.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
7/13/15 9:51 a.m.
Ed Higginbotham wrote: So we're into the finals now. Looks like the E30 is putting a whooping on the 911.

What's wrong with people?

kanaric
kanaric Dork
7/13/15 10:45 a.m.
racerdave600 wrote:
Ed Higginbotham wrote: So we're into the finals now. Looks like the E30 is putting a whooping on the 911.
What's wrong with people?

E30 fanboys lit the fires on the mountaintops to let everyone throughout the land vote for the (wrong) car.

Once it beat the MR2 I laughed and stopped reading. If it beats the 911 as well that is EXTREMELY funny.

Half the cars on that list are better sports cars.

If anything this is evidence that internet voting is meaningless and expert opinions are more useful.

Might as well of had the Mitsubishi Galant on the list and win because the VR4 exists and there is an Evo version of that car in Japan.

3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nIpUHQEosqDEUDfvYguFuReKy81Z2nhp6LnA1ab9jS30mfPzXJysiZl8pdf8w5pi