1 2
dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/10/20 8:04 p.m.

$340,000 buyers premium. Nice gig if you can get it!!

759NRNG
759NRNG UltraDork
1/10/20 8:10 p.m.

So ....$3.4 million who is the new owner??? Jay Leno?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
1/10/20 8:57 p.m.

I'll bet Jay gets awful tired of  his name being brought up every time some car sells at auction for a high price.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
1/10/20 9:12 p.m.

Rumor is it's coming East to a private collection. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/10/20 9:32 p.m.

And there have been bigger sales--maybe not for a Mustang, though. I was in the room when this 1964 Ferrari 275 GTB/C crossed the block.

The auctioneer:

Do I have one million dollars?

One million.

Two.

Three.

Four.

Five.

Six.

Seven.

Eight.

Nine.

Ten.

Eleven.

Twelve.

Thirteen.

Fourteen.

Selling price: $26.4m.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/11/20 5:17 a.m.
A 401 CJ said:

Hi Ian F,

Yes.  I have read several articles on it.  I'm still not convinced.  I'm sorry if that doesn't go over well with some.  And well yes, it sort of did just pop up on the radar a few years ago.  It wasn't so long ago that even the most die-hard Mustang aficionados did not know of its existence.   To me, for something of such a high degree of provenance, that seems odd.  But I digress, sometimes rare art work just pops up out of nowhere too.  

But it was mentioned in a few articles that a few very high-end collectors have known about it for a long time, but kept the info to themselves. It's only been in the last few years that it's become widely known.

$3.4M.  Wow...  I would have expected more.

secretariata
secretariata SuperDork
1/11/20 8:32 a.m.
Danny Shields said:

Don't forget the 10% buyer's premium!  

I assumed that was the difference between the $3.4M in 06HHR's post and the $3.74M in David's post?

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
1/11/20 8:51 a.m.
759NRNG said:

So ....$3.4 million who is the new owner??? Jay Leno?

It was a couple severe-looking guys who drove up in a black Charger.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
1/11/20 9:05 a.m.
stuart in mn said:

I'll bet Jay gets awful tired of  his name being brought up every time some car sells at auction for a high price.

Especially when he doesn't have a habit of buying hyped up auction cars.

Harvey
Harvey SuperDork
1/11/20 9:17 a.m.

I'm not surprised it sold for that sort of money, it's probably one of the most iconic movie cars out there. I'm sure the new owner will restore it completely, there would be no reason not to do so.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ Dork
1/11/20 11:41 a.m.

I predict "the real" Captain America and Billy will resurface any day now with some incredible backstory.  Wealthy boomers need that.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ptMlkrONcvuBY7FLHPaODoH7pIhHRS2doSXJTyOBWh9O7Nztaco84ifXeI6uKODc