1 2 3
Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
9/4/19 5:49 a.m.

Michelin pilot 4s is worth the extra money in my opinion because of the ride quality and lack of tramlining, great tires. 

sergio
sergio Reader
9/4/19 3:01 p.m.

I’m on my second set of Indy 500’s. On a Speed3, they stick well dry and are pretty good in Houston thunderstorms. 

My wife’s TL TypeS has Bridgestone S04’s which are great in the rain and maybe a little less stick dry than the 500’s. 

secretariata
secretariata SuperDork
9/4/19 5:50 p.m.
Dootz said:

In reply to Snrub :

From my experience Indy 500s are good in the rain, but only when warmed up

Based on your experience, what does it take to get them warmed up?  Not being a jerk, but is this a couple of miles of normal driving or more?  My commute is 10-12 miles each way.

secretariata
secretariata SuperDork
9/4/19 5:52 p.m.
G_Body_Man said:

I'm running Firehawk Indy 500s in a 235/45R18 square fitment on 18x8" wheels on my G35 sedan. High limits for a 340TW tire, good auditory feedback, progressive dry breakaway. They're also fairly secure in the wet, so long as you're not driving like an absolute buffoon. I quite recommend them for a G35.

I try to drive like an absolute buffoon every chance I get...the opportunities just happen to be limited by other traffic. ;)

secretariata
secretariata SuperDork
9/4/19 5:57 p.m.

I have been quite happy with the Continental DW and DWS tires I've got on other vehicles, they just happen to be like $180 each at the Rack when I looked the other day.  I think I got them for about $130 each before.  I'm cheap, but I don't want to pay less and end up with crappy tires that will potentially age out before hitting the wear bars...

secretariata
secretariata SuperDork
9/4/19 6:02 p.m.
Groats said:

In reply to secretariata :

Also to derail  Tell us more about the G35.  I test drove one over the weekend, 80k mile sedan with the six speed.  If they weren't firm on the $12k price it would probably be mine.  It was great, other than the clutch engagement point, which you can fix with a new pedal.  I'm seriously considering getting one too and wondering how the automatics compare.

Not ready to divulge yet.  It is a manual transmission car which is why I was looking at these.  Have not picked it up and don't want one of you guys to snatch it out from under me... :)

secretariata
secretariata SuperDork
9/4/19 6:07 p.m.
dps214 said:

Answer changes a lot based on your budget. If money is no issue, there's no reason not to get Michelin ps4s. A little budget consious, go for the Conti ecs. Super budget limited, Indy 500s are hard to beat. Having had both on the same car, I don't think I'd get bfg sport comps over the Indy 500s unless they're noticeably cheaper.

Budget conscious for sure.  PS4S is a non-starter.  My experience with Contis has me considering them, but I'd like to find 90% (or more) of that performance for about 70% of the price (or less)...

Cactus
Cactus Reader
9/4/19 7:41 p.m.

I am not a big fan of the Indy500s.  I had them on for a tail of the dragon run (and the rest of a trip to the mountains of NC) and they seemed pretty unexceptional. I liked my old extremecontact DWs (not DWSs) better. Seemed the Indys just didn't have the same level of grip wet or dry. If I'm spending money on tires I don't see using past november, I want them to impress me. 

Rodan
Rodan Dork
9/4/19 10:29 p.m.
collinskl1 said:

Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3 - This is the OE tire on the Camaro ZL1 and is currently coming to the market in more sizes

The F1 Supercar 3s are great when things are warm and dry.  Terrible in the wet, and below 50*.

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
9/4/19 10:48 p.m.
secretariata said:       I'd like to find 90% (or more) of that performance for about 70% of the price (or less)...

I’d suggest the Sumitomo HTR Z5.  Cayman came with a set of the Z3, and they were a really good value.  I liked them better on and off the track than the Indy 500s that I had.  If the Z5 is a good as the Z3 you’re looking at a winner IMO.

Dootz
Dootz Reader
9/5/19 1:37 a.m.

In reply to secretariata :

Probably like 2 miles, or 5 minutes of driving at around 35-45 MPH

The tire is very competent when you're just starting off, you just can't throttle around corners at all (which I shouldn't be doing tbh and instead taking it easy while my GT warms up its motor lol)

morello159
morello159 Reader
9/5/19 7:55 a.m.

Tires are very much one of those "you get what you pay for" things. You might find a tire with 90% of the dry grip at 70% of the cost, but you will definitely sacrifice more than 10% on wear, noise, comfort, and/or wet grip. That last 10% in all performances is what makes it so expensive to build a Michelin tire (and why they cost more). 

collinskl1
collinskl1 Reader
9/5/19 8:57 a.m.

In reply to Rodan :

You may be thinking of the Supercar 3which is the OE fitment on the ZL1 1LE. It is hardly a tire designed for daily driving usage.

Rodan
Rodan Dork
9/5/19 10:09 a.m.
collinskl1 said:

In reply to Rodan :

You may be thinking of the Supercar 3which is the OE fitment on the ZL1 1LE. It is hardly a tire designed for daily driving usage.

I'm very familiar with the difference.... we have the Supercar 3's on our ZL1 (non-1LE).  I haven't driven it in heavy rain, but the stories on the Camaro forum are pretty horrific.  Numerous crashes reported due to hydroplaning.  Even in light rain, traction control is a constant companion.  I can attest to how they behave in lower temps (30-50*F), and they're downright scary.  They're pretty much the very definition of a summer tire.

As soon as they're worn out, they're getting replaced with Conti ECS or P4SS Michelins.  I already have a set of Bridgestone RE980AS for winter.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf SuperDork
9/5/19 11:53 a.m.

Personally I've run the Conti ECS and it is indeed great, especially if it's in a size where it's priced competitively.  

Most recently I put Firestone Indy500's on my BMW and they're great as well.  Surprisingly sticky, and wearing fine so far.  

Would buy either again, making selection off best deal/sale/etc. 

Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
9/5/19 9:27 p.m.

I've run the Continental Extreme Contact DW and Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 on my FR-S... actually prefer the Indy 500's to the DW's. Cheaper while just as good dry and wet performance, but better ride quality and little more direct in it's responsiveness while being a little more progressive and communicative at the limit. Ran both in 205/45-17 because lower CG and a little less unsprung mass reasons... much better feeling (more planted at speed and quicker reflexes) than stock 215/45-17 tired setup. Firehawk Indy 500 is my go to recommendati​​​​on for a summer street tire. Tread pattern is also one of the coolest looking...

collinskl1
collinskl1 Reader
9/6/19 6:43 a.m.
Rodan said: They're pretty much the very definition of a summer tire.

Well, that is what GM asked for smiley. I'd be curious if you find the Michelin or Continental to be better in the 30°-50° range.

Bubbal
Bubbal New Reader
9/6/19 7:00 a.m.
secretariata said:

I'm cheap, but I don't want to pay less and end up with crappy tires that will potentially age out before hitting the wear bars...

A key reason I like PS4S is the 30K mile treadlife warranty,  I have a square setup and rotate every 5K miles.  Hit 2/32nd after 15K and got half off the next set.  All of my local tire stores will match the Rack price.  Warranty works best at store you buy from.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
9/6/19 7:20 a.m.

Ohtsu FP8000 is a rebranded Falken FK452.   Similar pricepoint to Federal SS595...which is much less than the Indy500.  225/40-18 were under $80/ea when Indys were north on $100

I have both FR8000 and Indy500 for my car.  The Indys will be a bit better for very spirited driving and an occasional autocross.  I like the Ohtsus more in the rain--used them at a wet track day at Road America and thought they were great.  The Ohtsus are my daily drivers. 

secretariata
secretariata SuperDork
10/19/19 6:58 p.m.

Ok, so to close this thread out.  I purchased Sumitomo HTR A/S tires for $117/ea from Tire Rack and had them installed today.  Hopefully they will give good performance and wear.  Need to get a 4 wheel alignment so I made an appointment for tomorrow to get this done.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc SuperDork
10/19/19 8:23 p.m.

Ok, my follow up, too: I bought a set of the Indy 500s, will be installed next week.

The ECS set would have been about $500. The I500 set was $403, not counting the additional $60 rebate. 

b13990
b13990 Reader
10/20/19 6:39 a.m.

I shopped most of the all-season tires mentioned here back when I had a vehicle that used "ultra-high-performance all-season tires." The tires I ended up buying were Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric All-Seasons.

I can't speak to their ultimate capabilities compared to the Michelins, Continentals, etc. but they were good for a bit more than 5 years and seemed pretty sporty. Compared to the Bridgestone Potenza RE92As they replaced, they gave a much firmer ride and much quicker turn-in. So I was very pleased with those tires overall.

Another one I looked at when the Goodyears finally wore out was the General G-Max AS-05. That is an intriguing tire, but in the end it just made sense to head to Goodyear and get another set of the Eagles.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
10/20/19 9:48 a.m.

My Boxster has 17” staggered wheels with an odd front tire size, so very limited options for a matched set of tires. OE equivalent is the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 at over $900 per set... ouch.

if I ‘plus 0’ the fronts, there a couple of options for half that price. We’ve had some recommendations for the Indy 500s; any thoughts on the other options?

SUMMER

FIRESTONE FIREHAWK INDY 500

- GENERAL G-MAX AS-05

ALL SEASON

- BFGoodrich G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S

- GOODYEAR EAGLE SPORT A/S

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
10/20/19 12:16 p.m.

^ So 205/55/17 and 235/50/17? I think it's possible to find Yoko Advan Sport V105s in both sizes. I haven't used them personally. I think they had some mixed test results. eg. Good tire rack test results. The less expensive ND and 370Z variants run on them.

Are you considering 215/55/17 or 225/50/17 fronts? Yoko S.Drives are well liked on this forum, albeit an older tire and on sale at tire rack. You could look at G-Max RS.

wspohn
wspohn Dork
10/20/19 12:48 p.m.

I fitted one of my modern sports car with Michelin PSS and can recommend them unconditionally.

I put Goodrich G-Force Sport Comp - 2 on the other one and they are also very good, if not quite up to the Michelins.

Price differential in my sizes is $170  vs. $231 for the PSS.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vOSvtnPj008B3hdqIS1mUwSk9n9YAEUf8KnenlXX4XYUQ4vCFputmZLEnLPKgQwp