MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
4/10/22 6:06 p.m.

The Dart currently has an "MSD 2222" regulator on it - this is a Bosch 0 280 160 001 regulator that MSD modified to reference manifold pressure. I further modified it to take hard lines instead of rubber hose. Well, this regulator isn't holding pressure anymore, MSD no longer sells the modified version, and unmodified versions of this regulator are nearly Aeromotive prices now.

So, what's the current go-to for an aftermarket EFI fuel pressure regulator that's reasonably accurate, reads boost pressure, and isn't too hard to plumb up? Is a low end Aeromotive one the safest best bet, or are any of the Chinesium ones decent?

procainestart
procainestart Dork
4/10/22 9:42 p.m.

If you don't need to adjust the pressure, and you know what the dead one was set to, then maybe a Bosch regulator from an '80s and '90s Bosch-controlled turbo engine might work. For example, Saab 900 regulators were available in 2.5 and 3.0 bar, look similar to yours, and are threaded for fuel in and out but have a nipple for manifold reference.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/11/22 8:54 a.m.

Depends on the pump flow and how much you need to bypass. I agree those regulators from early Bosch motronic or VW digifant cars are pretty easy to adapt and come in 3-4 bar generally. This will work for pumps that flow about 400 hp give or take. 

You have a pic of the regulator? Most of the Bosch ones were vac/boost referenced normally. 

For those who need to flow gallons of fuel per minute the answer is Weldon.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon Dork
4/11/22 2:09 p.m.
MadScientistMatt said:

are any of the Chinesium ones decent?

The PQY regulators have a pretty good reputation in the Sloppy turbo LS world.  I have one on the shelf for a rainy day build. link

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
4/11/22 6:26 p.m.

Thank you! The SAAB threaded port is an interesting call. The adjustability is not an important feature here as long as I can get pressure. There are a couple mid '70s VW regulators that look like a close match to the one I'm using that aren't too expensive. But on the other hand, I wonder how the PQY compares to a (probably Chinese made) repro-OEM regulator. I'd seen that brand mentioned elsewhere but couldn't recall the exact name.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
obztNoKHsLZOZKHcwPxwlaiv3zGiGJzDuUtypQrz3jPP87mduhhvpJnOoANZIioT