1 2 3
Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
5/25/22 6:23 p.m.

I know I'm biased, but for me, it's still this thing:

Hopefully someday it will carve cones in anger again. It's so fun to watch people's facial expressions when they see that red, white, and blue brick dancing around a course/track.

blue1968GTO
blue1968GTO
5/25/22 6:46 p.m.

A '54 Hudson Hornet.  No pictures unfortunately.  It was at the airport in Lone Pine, CA in about 1986.

BillKeksz
BillKeksz New Reader
5/26/22 1:48 p.m.

Not me, wasn't there...

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
5/26/22 2:01 p.m.

I'm also a bit biased.  But my "1959 Zamboni" is reasonably unusual.

car39
car39 Dork
5/26/22 2:08 p.m.

Had less than $2000 invested in the pair, outside of tires.  Most of the graphics are shelf paper, cars were assembled out of several other trashed Subarus.  

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/26/22 2:22 p.m.

I joked about autocrossing my Kia Rondo once, and someone posted a picture of one racing. I can't locate it now, but that is the last thing I would want to toss around a course. 

vazbmw
vazbmw HalfDork
5/26/22 11:42 p.m.

In reply to The Staff of Motorsport Marketing :

My LS1 BMW E34 Touring

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
5/27/22 12:28 a.m.

No photos but back in around '74 or'75 we were running an SCCA autocross at Phoenix International Raceway.  We used 2/3 of the oval and the infield road course, with pylons mostly to show the line through the road course corners and a couple of offset gates to keep speeds from getting too ridiculous (even so, I hit the finish line at 95 mph in a Corvair stage rally car on snow tires).  We kept hearing this great V8 noise from over on the back part of the road course, which you can't see from the infield.  Turns out a local racer named Don Roberts, a former national champion in a 289 Cobra, was doing jetting tests for a local Cobra collector.  The cars were a team USRRC Cobra roadster, and a Daytona Coupe - a real one.  Sure enough, after completing their testing they came over to watch the event, and they entered the Daytona coupe for Roberts to drive.  Of course he took FTD, but he spun the car on his second run and just missed a tall saguaro cactus.  No way a Daytona owner would do that today.  It was really special to watch (and hear).

footinmouth
footinmouth Reader
5/27/22 6:27 a.m.

I've done about 4 auto -x's / mid pack #'s and smiles all the way home and nobody has made a fuss because it sits as high as a non stance sedan .

russinok
russinok New Reader
5/29/22 6:00 p.m.

I used to autocross rental cars from National's Emerald Isle fleet whenever I was traveling on the company dime back in the early '90s.  At different events in the Chicago area one year I ran a Pontiac Bonneville SE (3.8L FWD), a Tempo V6 (you could get them with the 3.0L Taurus motor) and one time a 4.5L Seville!  None of them were competetive in class,  I think the Seville ran in F stock.  But hey, the rental company did not charge me for tire wear!

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
5/29/22 7:31 p.m.

Shortly after my uncle got back from his first tour of duty, he bought a '69 GTO Judge.  He and his wife, along with my mom and dad went over to a naval air station that was having a relief festival.  It was were the fly boys got jet training, and most of the bought '69 big block Corvettes when they graduated.  There was an autocross going on, and my dad convinced my uncle to let him drive the Judge in it.  It was classed with all those Vettes, about seven or eight of them.

It had rained that morning, but was still a little wet. The first run,they sent a Vette out, and when it got halfway around, they sent my dad.   My dad caught that Vette a few gates from the end, so they sent him back out behind someone they said was faster, and he caught them too.  After that, every time he pulled up to the start line, the PA announcer would repeat that line from Rowan & Martin's Laugh In, "Here come da Judge".

Unfortunately, when my uncle went to Singapore shortly afterwards, his wife and a bunch of her friends took the car to Mexico and claimed that it caught on fire and burned down. I have other theories.

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
5/29/22 8:25 p.m.

That Tacoma looks great with those wheels!

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
5/29/22 9:40 p.m.
bmw88rider said:

In reply to Driven5 :

2 sheriff deputies ran timed runs once in their patrol cars. They asked nicely. What are you going to say, No? They were in P71s so it was a good show. 

There was the Dakota R/T that was running some of the national tour events in ESP back in the mid 2000's as well. 

Funny stuff, I autocrossed both my 93 ext cab 360 swapped Dakota and then my brand new 97 Dakota R/T; before that I ran my Diplomat Police Interceptor a few times. The carb wouldn't ever react fast enough so it was bogging all the time. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kTduAGF7rlAHyuPjakxugppLgXuHaYhcUask1yaWOvVnMOxFEkE6aqn50yBo9k0u