1 2 3
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/11/20 2:25 p.m.

In reply to Tim Suddard :

Just when you think you have all the answers,  we change the questions.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
8/11/20 3:24 p.m.

Here's your pick of the litter:

Been fighting with it all week.

Ask me anything.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
8/12/20 2:48 p.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

Will friggin' do. Dusenberg, correct? Just lay it on me- I doubt i'd ever FIND one, but it's still cool to learn about.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
8/12/20 2:56 p.m.

Duesenberg. This one is J-491X

Originally a supercharged car, this is not the original supercharger. The original blower grew legs long ago, this one is a reproduction twin carb blower similar to what they put on the Mormon Meteor.

Pretty advanced for their day. Full pressure oiling, pent roof chambers, 4 valves per cylinder, dohc, shim-under-bucket, supercharged.

Allegedly 265hp naturally aspirated and 310hp supercharged. 420ish cubes. 

Pretty cool engines but lots of mechanical churning going on.

Other side:

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
8/12/20 3:25 p.m.

The aluminum widgets and box with the shaft coming out seen in the pic above is the fuel pump / timer box / chassis lubricator.

The timer box has some clockwork in it, driven off the timing chain. After a certain number of revolutions, it will light lamps telling you to change the engine oil, check the battery water level, fill the chassis lubricator or tell you that the lubricator is working. It's an early CEL system.

volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter)
volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
8/13/20 8:08 a.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

Fascinating. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
8/13/20 8:10 a.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

You simultaneously had me and caused me to drop my monocle and lose my tophat at "clockwork check engine light"

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
8/13/20 10:49 a.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

This is a Duesenberg, not a Rolls... :P

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
8/13/20 11:41 a.m.

What about a big I6?

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
8/13/20 12:44 p.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

That's hawt. 

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
8/13/20 12:53 p.m.

It has onboard air too. You can see the gear driven compressor on the front of the engine.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
8/13/20 6:07 p.m.

I've responded to a couple of emails so far- thanks so much for helping me with this long-term, goofy dream!

In reply to ShawnG :

Honestly, from what you're describing I wonder if it counts as a primitive computer. I know the ancient Dobel steam cars had something similar using switches, quartz crystals and the heat from the boiler to actuate valves and keep it running within a specific range.

Recent things have kept me from going super-deep into Packard bore and stroke sizes- but I found Team Buicks source on literally EVERYTHING for the 263 and 320 engines:

https://www.teambuick.com/reference/buick_8_engine_specs.php

Already the 263 appears to have a more modern piston from some kind of Ford/Holland Tractor, and these from a Buell which would fit another link that claimed there were Harley pistons that fit:

https://www.zippersperformance.com/wiseco-ev-sportster-3-13-16-pistons/

As for the 320, there is also a Harley piston that'll work, but it's got some SERIOUS dome going on and god know if it could even fit.:

https://www.sscycle.com/products/74-inch-cylinder-and-high-compression-piston-kit-for-1966-78-74-inch-hd-big-twins-gloss-black-finish/

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8wclm7NKypN467ZTOtj3Kt3kjBultNbKlRgVQBApmM0pY3JdhBE4xA2SIjJXv2lc