3 4 5 6
Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
1/1/19 12:59 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

They are Trake Frucks, I should've been more specific.

freetors
freetors Reader
1/1/19 2:22 p.m.

I've only been reading on here for a couple years and I have often wondered about the origins of GRM jargon. I can kind of figure out what most of them are referring to by context, but yeah... I kind of feel like it's an inside joke that has existed so long that newbies just parrot the joke without even knowing the origins. Stuff like e36 m3, berkely, shiny happy people, canoe, and any others I've missed.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
1/1/19 2:37 p.m.

In reply to freetors :

There’s a thread discussing these terms somewhere here.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltraDork
1/1/19 2:45 p.m.
Patrick said:
wvumtnbkr said:
RossD said:

There are two people at my office that say heighth. We are architects and engineers.

I'm guilty of that and I can't break it.

Also an engineer.  In fact, I'm the manager of the engineering department.. .  I hate it and can't seem to fix it!  Arghhh!

That’s because engineers only know how to tell people to do things, not actually do them in the field cheeky

Those are design engineers.  We are manufacturing engineers.  We are the ones that install the equipment and fix it when regular maintenance can't.

I lerned how to work with my handses.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltraDork
1/1/19 2:48 p.m.
freetors said:

I've only been reading on here for a couple years and I have often wondered about the origins of GRM jargon. I can kind of figure out what most of them are referring to by context, but yeah... I kind of feel like it's an inside joke that has existed so long that newbies just parrot the joke without even knowing the origins. Stuff like e36 m3, berkely, shiny happy people, canoe, and any others I've missed.

Just so you know, you can just type the bad word and it automatically changes it for you.

You berkeleying shiny happy person E36 M3head.  And canoe is a term that people use to call out spammers.

TurboFocus
TurboFocus Reader
1/1/19 5:35 p.m.
freetors said:

who wants to explain the origins?

eastpark
eastpark Reader
1/1/19 6:29 p.m.

Most of it can be explained here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grassroots_Motorsports

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Dork
1/1/19 6:31 p.m.

I always assumed that someone had intimate knowledge of Berkeley and thought that it could go berkeley itself. shiny happy person just makes sense, and maybe someone that was an E30 purist decided that E36 M3s were E36 M3. 

As far as canoe goes, my research has revealed that they picked a word that wasn't normally used conversationally on this forum. When an advertising post was made, someone would use that word to report it, and a search of that word by admins would lead them to the offending post with less error than other words. 

joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
1/1/19 6:31 p.m.
TurboFocus said:
freetors said:

who wants to explain the origins?

E36m3 is filter for the s word, Berkeley is filer for the f word, shineyhappypeople is a$$hole, canoe is just a word to let the mods know about a span post, and bob costas is a pu$$y. Or so I’m told. 

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
1/1/19 6:45 p.m.

PIITB kinda died out though.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
1/1/19 9:39 p.m.

In reply to snailmont5oh :

I thought E36 M3 stood for S... because they are THE S... Not because they are S...

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
1/1/19 9:41 p.m.
SVreX said:

In reply to Alfaromeoguy :

I think I am gonna start all of my thread titles from now on, "Lern me...."

Just for you! cheeky

Lovely, kisses

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle SuperDork
1/1/19 9:48 p.m.

AlfaRomeoGuy:  what we meant to say is...

welcome. 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
1/1/19 10:04 p.m.
OHSCrifle said:

AlfaRomeoGuy:  what we meant to say is...

welcome. 

That's exactly what we did say. 

We even gave him a direct link to the slang and didn't tell him to search, n00b.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/2/19 2:10 a.m.
ShawnG said:

Put

It

In

The

Butt

Is only for hardcore members.

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Dork
1/10/19 12:09 p.m.

I was just thinking about when I discovered the profanity filters. I typed berkeley, and it said berkeley on the screen,  but when I posted it, it didn't say berkeley.  I was like, "What the berkeley?"  So I edited it, and confirmed that it said berkeley. Save. No berkeley. Now, I'm like, "Dude, what the berkeleying berkeley?  When I say berkeley, I mean berkeley! This is berkeleying bullE36 M3!" Then I saw what was going on, and I calmed the berkeley down. I decided that it's a family friendly site, and there's no reason to get my E36 M3 in a twist.

:)

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/10/19 12:15 p.m.
ShawnG said:

Maybe for you..... some of us still use it daily. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/10/19 12:39 p.m.
snailmont5oh said:

As far as canoe goes, my research has revealed that they picked a word that wasn't normally used conversationally on this forum. When an advertising post was made, someone would use that word to report it, and a search of that word by admins would lead them to the offending post with less error than other words. 

Much as it pains me to admit that I know this, it's a Family Guy reference.  Peter and Lois Griffin were experimenting with BDSM and "canoe" was thier safe word.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
1/10/19 12:54 p.m.
Alfaromeoguy said:

In reply to j_tso :

Sound's like daffy donald. 

I can't even's .. proof reading is a dead art apparently'.

Donald and Daffy are two very different duck's, you know.

It pain's me to leave these apostrophe's in here.

Tom1200
Tom1200 HalfDork
1/10/19 8:38 p.m.

Awl I want's two no is what parsipertayted this malfunctionality thred?

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS HalfDork
2/3/19 1:34 a.m.

Learn me.....  it is kind of annoying

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
2/3/19 7:46 a.m.
AnthonyGS said:

It does make it easy to find an advice thread by searching in google, though:

site:grassrootsmotorsports.com learn+me+<what you want to learn about>

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/3/19 7:59 a.m.

RE: Berkeley....  When you see a North Face store, stop by.  We were shopping at one Friday, and I had a pretty nice personal chuckle...

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
2/3/19 8:20 a.m.
eastsideTim said:
AnthonyGS said:

It does make it easy to find an advice thread by searching in google, though:

site:grassrootsmotorsports.com learn+me+<what you want to learn about>

Having done a simple

Site: grassrootsmotorsports.com learn me

Search, there is a TON of useful E36 M3 to be found. I recommend it if you can't sleep or have in flight wifi.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS HalfDork
2/3/19 9:25 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Maybe my next long flight to Frankfurt....  nah I’d rather PIITB.

3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZKW3mDqcCzznnHjkQNpmVonnAAJBGAGt9ZL1vrgDLtuRCPELUmBSAaEuz3bTrKfW