Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/9/15 8:26 p.m.

This guy is blind and still working on cars.

http://abc13.com/news/blind-mechanic-hired-at-seattle-auto-shop-/915620/

Now get out in your garage!

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
8/10/15 6:03 a.m.

don't have a garage

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin Dork
8/10/15 10:44 a.m.

I lack skill and talent. Much bigger hurdles.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
8/10/15 10:47 a.m.

I'm lazy and easily distracted.

Not-Stig
Not-Stig PowerDork
8/10/15 11:33 a.m.

I have no car or money.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
8/10/15 11:34 a.m.

I don't even have an excuse.

chiodos
chiodos HalfDork
8/10/15 11:37 a.m.

Heat index of 115 is my excuse today.. hottest in america, woot! Not..

ssswitch
ssswitch HalfDork
8/10/15 11:42 a.m.

A dog barked outside and now I'm afraid to go out there in case it got loose and wants to eat me while I'm greasing slide pins.

The_Jed
The_Jed UberDork
8/10/15 12:03 p.m.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
8/10/15 12:04 p.m.

I have to get my hair done.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
8/10/15 12:06 p.m.

It's too hot. It's too cold. I'm too tired. I'm not in the mood. I have no idea how to fix it.

bgkast
bgkast UberDork
8/10/15 12:17 p.m.
BLIND MECHANIC HIRED AT SEATTLE AUTO SHOP SALEM, OR (KTRK) -- Starting a new job can be hard, but one mechanic is facing a challenge, tougher than many of us will ever know. Christopher Goodman is blind. Goodman had been a mechanic for more than 20 years, when he lost his sight in 2012. Yet he is determined to keep doing the job he loves. After vocational training, he walked into a Salem auto shop and asked for a job. And now, he has been working there for the past three months. Goodman said his father -- a marine -- raised him to overcome challenges. So that's what he decided to do. Goodman said, "I kept feeling that fear all the time, being nervous about everything and having that anxiety. And I just decided, I'm not going to live like that." At the shop, Goodman uses a special computer program to input information. He also helps other mechanics in the shop when he can, relying on his other senses and his memory.

Huh, I didn't know Salem was a suburb of Seattle. Must be one heck of a commute!

captdownshift
captdownshift SuperDork
8/10/15 12:47 p.m.

I implore everyone to get out and wrench, to drive, to create memories.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/10/15 1:15 p.m.
bgkast wrote:
BLIND MECHANIC HIRED AT SEATTLE AUTO SHOP SALEM, OR (KTRK) -- Starting a new job can be hard, but one mechanic is facing a challenge, tougher than many of us will ever know. Christopher Goodman is blind. Goodman had been a mechanic for more than 20 years, when he lost his sight in 2012. Yet he is determined to keep doing the job he loves. After vocational training, he walked into a Salem auto shop and asked for a job. And now, he has been working there for the past three months. Goodman said his father -- a marine -- raised him to overcome challenges. So that's what he decided to do. Goodman said, "I kept feeling that fear all the time, being nervous about everything and having that anxiety. And I just decided, I'm not going to live like that." At the shop, Goodman uses a special computer program to input information. He also helps other mechanics in the shop when he can, relying on his other senses and his memory.
Huh, I didn't know Salem was a suburb of Seattle. Must be one heck of a commute!

salem just wnats to be as cool as seattle.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/10/15 1:17 p.m.

My excuse is that i hate wrenching and i've already built a car this year.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
8/10/15 1:25 p.m.
wbjones wrote: don't have a garage
bearmtnmartin wrote: I lack skill and talent. Much bigger hurdles.

well, I lack those also .. but I really didn't need you to remind me …

Toyman01 wrote: I'm lazy and easily distracted.

that also

asterisk
asterisk Reader
8/10/15 9:29 p.m.

Here's a better story we did on the guy a couple months ago with a little more background:

Veteran mechanic, now blind, back on the job

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
epmXMExiYnol92vlageIJzIHAMMfg6Q1BocLCnAg9MwxZczGnP9KkTrIb2GMj0E8