1 2
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
8/8/22 3:50 p.m.
feature_image

Picture this: After many hours–too many, probably–you finally finished that big thing on your project you’ve been chipping away at for weeks. Relieved it’s finally over, you put away your tools and head to the sink to clean up.

What product do you reach for? Some dish soap,…

Read the rest of the story

untchabl
untchabl HalfDork
8/8/22 3:54 p.m.

Cherry Gel GoJo is my go to. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
8/8/22 4:00 p.m.

I used to keep some orange hand cleaner under the sink, but eventually I came to realize that Dawn ( or a reasonable facsimile ) worked as well as anything.  Now, my hand cleaner is right there by the kitchen sink and always ready for use!  If I don't get all the grease out from under my nails, I can use it to impress the highfalutin' people I might run into  -- "Oh, so you're a mechanic!"  They are always amazed.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
8/8/22 4:02 p.m.

I bought a tub of these as an impulse buy. Works better on your hands than hand cleaner. They work great for cleaning surfaces (their intended use) and are now a staple product for me. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
8/8/22 4:04 p.m.

I found some GOJO wipes that I am keeping in my shop, which is really great when you dont have water. They are also now on my "chuck in the trailer for autocrosses" list.

https://www.amazon.com/Gojo-Textured-Scrubbing-Wipes-Canister/dp/B004HM7RYE/ref=sr_1_4?gclid=CjwKCAjw6MKXBhA5EiwANWLODAYMxHp0GzG_4BrxS6rWR2oLM_pJj4idHrbFIX9Ojlqs-iGT8CFh2xoCUtUQAvD_BwE&hvadid=177779648859&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9007653&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=15707570043748535919&hvtargid=kwd-3588659649&hydadcr=21847_9711821&keywords=gojo+wipes&qid=1659988968&sr=8-4

I have found that GOOP works pretty well with a fingernail brush for in the sink.  The fingernail brush is the big key that not many people use.  Baring that, wife's used coffee grounds with dawn dishsoap. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
8/8/22 4:05 p.m.

The one, the only:

That's the old container. Permatex took it over, I think.

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
8/8/22 4:06 p.m.

Dish soap for me as well.

I don't need to get into the fingernails regularly since I wear nitrile gloves when wrenching. 

RadBarchetta
RadBarchetta New Reader
8/8/22 4:11 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

I just emptied a Tub O Towels. Great product.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork

Ditto on dawn and double down on it for clothes. 

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork

Dawn. Lava if the dawn doesn't cut it. I have a gallon of gojo I haven't opened in years.

sir_mike
sir_mike Reader
8/8/22 4:26 p.m.

Lava or Dawn dish detergent works for me.Plus I were gloves most of the time.

wae
wae PowerDork
8/8/22 4:29 p.m.

Zep Cherry Bomb.  I've used the Fast Orange before, but the Zep stuff does better at getting gasoline and diesel smells out of my skin.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
8/8/22 4:45 p.m.
j_tso said:

Dish soap for me as well.

I don't need to get into the fingernails regularly since I wear nitrile gloves when wrenching. 

Nitrile gloves, or some kind of work glove are essential for me. I earn my living with my hands, so I have to be cautious with them. Also, having grease impregnated into the grain of your callouses and fingerprints (which lasts for days, no matter what you use) is not a good look for a surgeon.

BA5
BA5 Reader
8/8/22 4:58 p.m.

Fast Orange.  Never cared for towel versions of hand cleaner.

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/8/22 5:50 p.m.

for hands, greasy parts, whatever. Much prefer it to Gojo and stuff like that (and smells better)

Dawn Dish Soap Guide – Howzoo

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
8/8/22 5:54 p.m.

Dish soap and coffee grinds.

I heard about it here at GRM, and it's all I use now - even in my high-school auto shop.  Best hand cleaner ever!

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) Dork
8/8/22 6:06 p.m.

Bar soap or liquid. No preference. I am blessed (?) with hands that do not get deeply soiled. Even working on subs. At the worst I use regular soap and a bit of green scotchbrite.

Shadeux
Shadeux Dork
8/8/22 6:10 p.m.

Dawn. And when my nails are packed with black goo I use my parts washer brush which uses simple green. Works a treat for me. 

Fupdiggity (Forum Supporter)
Fupdiggity (Forum Supporter) Reader
8/8/22 6:14 p.m.

Pinerite, dry powder base w/ some grit, it does a killer job and leaves your hands all nice & soft. I've never had good luck w/ the fast orange or similar cleaner.

https://pinerite.com/

Iusedtobefast
Iusedtobefast Reader
8/8/22 6:41 p.m.

I'm another Tub O' Towels guy. I always keep one in my car to clean my hands after work plus one in the garage. 

Cactus
Cactus HalfDork
8/8/22 8:02 p.m.

Another vote for zep cherry, but I keep one of most things in a bunch of places. The answer isn't usually which is best, it's which is handy. Pun not intended.

Lava bars are pretty great to keep in/near the shower when you discover you've got grease all down the back of your arm/leg/head.

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Reader
8/8/22 8:13 p.m.
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:

for hands, greasy parts, whatever. Much prefer it to Gojo and stuff like that (and smells better)

Dawn Dish Soap Guide – Howzoo

If I go bare hand I rub Dawn on my hands first before I start my mechanical duties.  Then when you get gunk on them there is a "protective" surface there already. Then a squirter of more Dawn and wash away. I was told about that from a long time friend who's Dad showed him that back in the '70's. 

gbuff
gbuff New Reader
8/8/22 8:18 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

Lava soap and a nail brush.

If it's really difficult, lacquer thinner.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
8/8/22 10:12 p.m.

Blue dawn and orange hand cleaner mixed.  No water until scrubbed completely, then Water just to rinse.

Gets everything off.  Even antisieze 

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
8/8/22 10:19 p.m.

Nitrile gloves, and Lava for whatever gets by them, or up my arms or whatever.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JAb4E2YE9KKzlP0oOUYLoDgfkA8EkkFytbNWEDPMPRxqxAPxqQ5NkNNbCi4ZveA9