ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek Reader
5/2/16 8:43 p.m.

In the near future I will be getting this '76 Chevrolet C20 Scottsdale Camper Special (with matching '76 slide in camper)

It's a great survivor and comes with the original 16.5" wheels and the aftermarket 16.5" alloys (pictured). The problem is that the tires on both sets of wheels are old and not fit for use.

My question is, should I stick with the one of the sets of 16.5s and buy new tires or buy a set of newer OEM 17" or 18" wheels and new tires? I like the alloys that are on it currently, but I'm worried about tire availability. Nobody really makes a good 9.50R16.5LT tire anymore.

I like the second option of a set of newer OEM alloy wheels because they should be lighter and really open up my tire choices. I just don't know what would physically fit and would look right on this 40 year old truck. Based on my research it has an 8x6.5" bolt pattern which is roughly equivalent to 8x165mm. This seems to be common with a selection of Ford, GM, and Dodge trucks. I'm not sure about hub bore diameter or backspacing.

Does anyone have any suggestions for wheels? I'd like to stick with OEM wheels as the aftermarket ones are a little over the top. Example photos of the wheels on this generation truck would be great, but photos on any truck would work.

Thanks in advance.

Stampie
Stampie HalfDork
5/2/16 8:54 p.m.

If you have a military tire seller in your area hit them up. That'll be the cheapest decent 16.5 tire. I have a set of 16 inch 8 lugs wagon wheels that came off my k30. I was going to ask $100 but I'd do free to a GRMer. Only problem is they're in Jacksonville, FL.

Chadeux
Chadeux Reader
5/2/16 9:03 p.m.

Honestly didn't try to find a picture of those on a square Chevy, But Hummer H2 wheels with chevy centercaps?

Stampie
Stampie HalfDork
5/2/16 9:21 p.m.

The Hummer wheels look good with no caps also.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
5/2/16 11:29 p.m.

cragar soft 8's

http://www.jegs.com/p/Cragar/Cragar-Black-Soft-8-Wheels/754162/10002/-1

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
5/2/16 11:33 p.m.
Stampie wrote: If you have a military tire seller in your area hit them up. That'll be the cheapest decent 16.5 tire.

This HMMWV take offs are cheap (like under 2 bills a pop) if you can fit a 37x12.5x16.5

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie New Reader
5/3/16 6:06 a.m.

I run the PYO wheels off of GMT800 trucks. Pictured here on my GMT400, but they fit squarebody trucks like yours too. I can go on Craigslist any day of the week with 200 dollars and buy a full set. No cheaper way to get a set of nice forged 16" aluminum wheels.

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek Reader
5/3/16 7:10 a.m.
Stampie wrote: The Hummer wheels look good with no caps also.

Ooh, those do look nice. And I've seen a couple of sets on my local Craigslists.

Cousin_Eddie wrote: I run the PYO wheels off of GMT800 trucks. Pictured here on my GMT400, but they fit squarebody trucks like yours too. I can go on Craigslist any day of the week with 200 dollars and buy a full set. No cheaper way to get a set of nice forged 16" aluminum wheels.

And the 16" wheels will clear the brakes? I would assume so, but assumptions are dangerous things.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie New Reader
5/3/16 7:15 a.m.

Yes, the 16" wheels will clear the brakes no problem on your round eye squarebody.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
5/3/16 7:21 a.m.

Nice truck and camper.
I find the faux shutters on the camper somehow cool.

Can you tow with the camper in place considering the rear overhang of the camper?

patgizz
patgizz UltimaDork
5/3/16 7:31 a.m.

I have some of the 99-07 steelies if you want them for free. Throw some caps on and roll.

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek Reader
5/3/16 7:35 a.m.

Believe it or not, you can tow with the camper in place. The back bumper and hitch are mounted on extendable rails. It bolts in place ~2 feet further back to clear the camper. The previous owners used it to tow an 11-seat motorboat on a dual axle trailer along with the camper to Dale Hollow Lake in Tennessee for many years.

I'll need to take a very good look at this bumper structure before I do anything similar. But I know that it is possible.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
5/3/16 8:18 a.m.

I vote for original steelies and beauty rings.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb HalfDork
5/3/16 8:23 a.m.
patgizz wrote: I have some of the 99-07 steelies if you want them for free. Throw some caps on and roll.

I was actually coming here to say throw some steelies on like Patgizz did. They look nice.

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek Reader
5/3/16 11:02 a.m.
patgizz wrote: I have some of the 99-07 steelies if you want them for free. Throw some caps on and roll.

I might be interested. They look like this?

16", yes? And chromed or painted?

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek Reader
5/3/16 11:13 a.m.

On the subject of new wheels, would these work? I like the look and the size. Craigslist Ad

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
5/3/16 11:20 a.m.
Cousin_Eddie wrote: I run the PYO wheels off of GMT800 trucks. Pictured here on my GMT400, but they fit squarebody trucks like yours too. I can go on Craigslist any day of the week with 200 dollars and buy a full set. No cheaper way to get a set of nice forged 16" aluminum wheels.

Those are my favcorite 8-lug wheels out there.

patgizz
patgizz UltimaDork
5/3/16 1:11 p.m.

I have the ones from your picture, painted 16" steelies. Fat 5 spokes, come get them. 2 have decent tires, 2 not so much

gearheadmb
gearheadmb HalfDork
5/3/16 1:36 p.m.

In reply to ShawneeCreek:

The ad says They are 2010s so they should be the same lug pattern. 2011+ was different for gm.

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek Reader
5/3/16 3:04 p.m.
gearheadmb wrote: In reply to ShawneeCreek: The ad says They are 2010s so they should be the same lug pattern. 2011+ was different for gm.

Thanks. That's what I thought too. The ad also called out the bolt pattern as 8x165mm, which is what I need.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
5/3/16 6:16 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
Those are my favcorite 8-lug wheels out there.

Yes, these are good looking, light, strong, and easily replaceable if you damage one.. I see them for sale all the time for $100-$600, depending on the tires that are on them..

The 1/2 ton trucks had a 6 lug wheel that looks a lot like these that also look good on older trucks, I have a set of those on my 97 K1500.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
v53dPpctcgfrKUCppqxGJ0zQ3FXZXnEHJI525lRQlk2e0eOm4o0SomNpKERw7qPw