1 2 3
stan
stan UltraDork
7/23/21 10:05 a.m.

You know it's coming for most someday. I'm old enough where I don't think I will be forced to get one, but who knows with how quickly things change these days. Lots of manufacturers will only make electric within the next 15-20 years so we'll be looking and talking about how cheap used Teslas, etc are to use as parts cars.

"Grass (Electric) Roots Motorsports"? 

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture UltimaDork
7/23/21 10:07 a.m.

SWMBO and I are moving to California this year.

I'm getting an ICE sports car but she is definitely going electric (looking at XC40 Recharge). We figure that between those two vehicles our needs should be met for anything we need to do.

With the infrastructure widely available to support EVs out there, we are excited to try it out!

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
7/23/21 10:09 a.m.

Two to three years is my guess . . . Currently interested in the F150 Lightning, and the BMW i4.  I thought we were going to get the ID3 in Canada, but all VW shows is the ID4, and I'm not particularly interested in that.

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
7/23/21 10:10 a.m.

When they pry the gas pump handle from my cold dead hands.

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
7/23/21 10:10 a.m.

As soon as I can afford it. Could be next year could be next decade.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/23/21 10:22 a.m.

Hard to say. For one, it'll depend on when a company offers an EV minivan that meets my needs. The pending Buzz might tick the boxes, but won't really know until I can look at one in person. Second, it'll also depend on actual need.  Right now, with converting pretty entirely to WFH with no end in sight, I don't drive all that much and when I do it can be for long distances and often to locations not practical for using an EV.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
7/23/21 10:23 a.m.

Id love a rivian truck. Ill probably get a maverick. 

But ill own all electric someday when theyre cheap and used. Like all the cars i tend to buy.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/23/21 10:24 a.m.

In all likelihood?  About 10-15 years after they become the dominant species, because that is the point where they will be the majority of the used car options.

Unless they're all bloated trucks.   Screw that noise.

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
7/23/21 10:25 a.m.

3 years ago :)

I hope someone introduces a decent 300+ mile $25k car that isn't terrible to drive in the next 3-5 years. That would be my next one. Are you listening, Mazda?

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/23/21 10:27 a.m.

If everything pans out, our family's next vehicle will likely be a hybrid or plug-in hybrid, and I'd definitely consider an electric car as a personal commuter for myself.

I'd still like to be able to play with internal combustion engines for a little bit, but I'm confident I'd still be able to have plenty of fun behind the wheel of the right electric car.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/23/21 10:30 a.m.

It occurs to me that with the timeline I posted, I may never actually own an electric car, because I'll probably be too old to drive at that point, and I'm 43 now.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
7/23/21 10:33 a.m.

I'd have to own my own home before I could do that.  Not installing a charging point in a rental home.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/23/21 10:40 a.m.

I don't see myself ever buying an electric car. At 57, I don't commute to work anymore, have a classic car business on the side and that pretty much limits me to the 20  year rule so I can run classic tags on the "fleet". So  unless my wife buys one, I don't see it ever happening.  The only one I would be interested in would be one of these in 20+ years.

https://www.tesla.com/roadster

NickD
NickD MegaDork
7/23/21 10:46 a.m.

As distantly far in the future as possible. I live in a rural area with some pretty remote places, there's not going to be a rush to build EV infrastructure in my area. As it sits right now, there are only two charging stations in the entire city, both here at the GM dealership I work at, and we keep them locked up for employee, customer and technician diagnostic use only. And the local Tesla guys say that in CNY winters, they lose anywhere from 50-100 miles of range per charge. My biggest issue with an EV is the 250 mile range and then 30+ minutes waiting for it to charge. I frequently take long trips, so unless there is some huge technological leap forward where either A) range goes to 500 miles or B) charging can be accomplished in 5 minutes, I'm not interested. 

stanger_mussle
stanger_mussle UberDork
7/23/21 10:47 a.m.

I've had a reservation in for a Bronco for about 9 months now but the Maverick has piqued my interest. I commute 60 miles a day in a V8 truck that gets 16mpg. 

I would totally rock a Maverick. And it's cheaper than my Bronco build.

I guess I'm the target demographic?

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) Dork

I still want my Tesla Pickup Truck. devil

And maybe make a Chevy Spark into a rallycross car. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork

Pure EV?  No idea.  If I can get a hybrid Escape that can tow 3000lb, I would get that.  

Can't say that I like the idea of going to some mobile charging place and sitting there with a trailer for 30 min just to get to the next campground.

(and I still honestly do not see the path to actual mass production of EVs that people will get- there's a huge difference between 1M/year and even 10M/year.  Let along mobile charging stations when the number of EV's on the road goes by an order of magnitude or two.  Everything that makes batteries and EV's better do exactly the same for hybrids)

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork

Probably when I can afford one that I would want (Ford Lightening) or something similar. And where I'll be living next. 

I'm slated for the Pentagon in the near future. If I have to commute everyday I'd love a EV or plug in hybrid that I could buy for under $10k

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
7/23/21 10:51 a.m.

I'll probably end up with an EV of some form in the fleet whenever one that interests me is available at a price I'm willing to pay.  Even if I could only charge at home, the vast majority of my driving is easily covered by an EV, so as long as there's at least once ICE vehicle in the fleet, I'm not worried about charging infrastructure buildout, as I can just use an ICE for the occasional times where I'm going somewhere that I couldn't manage with an EV.  

NickD
NickD MegaDork
7/23/21 10:58 a.m.
NickD said:

As distantly far in the future as possible. I live in a rural area with some pretty remote places, there's not going to be a rush to build EV infrastructure in my area. As it sits right now, there are only two charging stations in the entire city, both here at the GM dealership I work at, and we keep them locked up for employee, customer and technician diagnostic use only. And the local Tesla guys say that in CNY winters, they lose anywhere from 50-100 miles of range per charge. My biggest issue with an EV is the 250 mile range and then 30+ minutes waiting for it to charge. I frequently take long trips, so unless there is some huge technological leap forward where either A) range goes to 500 miles or B) charging can be accomplished in 5 minutes, I'm not interested. 

As an addendum, I wouldn't be opposed to an Extended Range EV like the Chevrolet Volt was, but the EREV appears to have been largely considered an evolutionary deadend and bypassed. I was talking to a coworker the other day, while changing the oil on a Ford Transit van (the big RWD one) how I wouldn't mind an EREV Transit van. Install a turbo 4-cylinder, replace the transmission with a generator. Dump the driveshaft and put a huge battery pack under the floor. Replace the solid rear axle with an IRS setup with an electric motor or two.

rodknock
rodknock Reader
7/23/21 10:58 a.m.

When someone makes an electric hot hatch with decent range I'll be in the market. The current options don't appeal to me or are way out of my price range. 

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
7/23/21 11:00 a.m.

Probably never. I have four traditional sports cars and don't see them wearing out before I do.

OTOH, my wife's next car may very well be electric.

Caveat - my first answer may change if I ever happen upon a first generation Tesla Roadster (especially with an uprated power package)

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/23/21 11:01 a.m.

I was really tempted to buy Tom's Leaf earlier this year. So I'd say when good uses ones are $5k or less, and it makes sense to buy one. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
7/23/21 11:12 a.m.

probably never , but I would consider converting an old car to EV when there are kits to do it , 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/23/21 11:14 a.m.

No comment :)

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wUvb7jw46pnu0Zz646UyGxsdwOX32dNqY2ULF25zQ1liDnepP0wxE552WgvP4ULk