1 2 3
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
5/5/22 12:54 p.m.
feature_image

How best to sum up the No Dough Weekend, a Volkswagen get-together that wrapped up this past Sunday at the City Center Municipal Complex in Port Orange, Florida?

Perfect weather, a welcoming setting and lots of VWs old and new alike. And did we mention it was free?

Check out more pictures–m…

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/5/22 2:25 p.m.

Upon returning for home, yes, I was cruising the VW ads. I think a Type 3 would be cool....

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
5/5/22 2:36 p.m.

'67 Beetle with a lot of warming over using Porsche parts.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/5/22 2:46 p.m.

Ignoring the Vanagon in the driveway...

The original Scirocco. 

calteg
calteg SuperDork
5/5/22 2:56 p.m.

Timely, I'm getting ready to go buy a Vanagon in about an hour. Anything I should look for? It's an air cooled '81.   Apparently rust is the biggest issue (rockers, base of the windshield and underneath) 

APEowner
APEowner SuperDork
5/5/22 3:12 p.m.

While I appreciate all cars on some level or another the only VW that I really get excited about is the Karmann Ghia

Trent
Trent PowerDork
5/5/22 3:13 p.m.

Grew up in aircooleds. I love 'em but don't see myself having one.

A1 chassis cars are apparently my soft spot.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/5/22 3:31 p.m.

In reply to calteg :

I cannot give advice on that, I basically got lucky on mine. Although an early aircooled wouldn't be my first choice, I think the '86 and up vans are easier to maintain. Also, 67 hp and a top speed of 75 means it's a little leisurely in modern traffic.

David S. Wallens
5/5/22 3:36 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

You know, we found ourselves looking at a '67 as well. Mildly warmed over and looked really clean, including good/new/proper paint, full interior redo, 1776 engine, etc., etc. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/5/22 3:39 p.m.

Volksplane.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
5/5/22 4:02 p.m.

I'll take a Type 34 Karmann Ghia. Any color.

David S. Wallens
5/5/22 4:14 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

Those do look so cool. Even "regular" Ghias look so good. 

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
5/5/22 4:50 p.m.

My first car was a 74 Standard and I worked for an ACVW mechanic renting dune buggies. They are really fun legos. I especially loved his Meyers Tow'd. 

For me personally as a driver, R32 or a BEW powered New Beetle. The MK4 era is my favorite styling of the water-cooled cars. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau UltraDork
5/5/22 5:06 p.m.

Always loved the 914 for some reason. 

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) Dork
5/5/22 5:14 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

Always loved the 914 for some reason. 

Me too.

I have owned right around 50 various badged VWs. There are currently 4 in the stable.

I'd like to add a T3 notch or square. 

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UberDork
5/5/22 9:05 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

The original Scirocco. 

Miss my 81 S with ABA block under CIS cammed head. 11:1 compression. 2H gearbox with limited slip. Great car. Pulled hard in any gear.

I've owned every type A1 chassis so I guess that's my flavor. Currently playing with a 16v 2.0 87 Roc.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
5/5/22 9:19 p.m.

Just passed on a very rusty Type 3 notchback. Would have been cool, but about a decade of work.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
5/5/22 9:46 p.m.

Not stock that is for sure. 

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
5/5/22 9:51 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

The original Scirocco. 

My buddy is about to post his very nice early rocco itc car for sale...

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
5/5/22 9:52 p.m.

I still want to build a 2300cc hardtop Ghia.... pulling the wheels in a cool old vw would be awesome.  I haven't looked at prices in years to do the build.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/6/22 1:34 a.m.

Any GTI with the plaid seats.  

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) MegaDork
5/6/22 6:02 a.m.

MK4 Jetta GLI (in winter attack mode)

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
5/6/22 6:36 a.m.

Dad's '74 Camper Van, the VanOrange.  He took us everywhere in that thing when I was a kid.

You can see it hiding in the background there.  All of the good pics I have of it seem to be film and unscanned as of now.

Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
5/6/22 8:37 a.m.

I have 1966 & 1968 Beetles and a 1974 Thing and have had many more, including Rabbits and a Scirocco or two.  I just ordered the wheels for my next Beetle:

It's going to be an outlaw style pre 1967 car with Porsche 356 aluminum drum brakes, a period-modified engine (or a 356 engine if I can find one for the right price), and other subtle mods.  Now I just need to find the car to put the parts on, and they've gone up in price a lot.  I was in CA in February and solid projects were $10K or more.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
5/6/22 8:52 a.m.

Absolutely the MKI/A1 chassis. I'm a serial owner and stopped counting at 45. Love the Lego-ness

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OeS3Ztt6idlyUHzDpyvFD0RwYBjxETkBU7gA4nLiXxm67f5MgOSyllowFbwjP9ig