1 2 3
docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
5/6/22 9:54 a.m.

Corrado VR6 hits it for me.  Still old enough to have feel and a light chassis, new enough to have AC that works, etc.  I also like the Mk4 R32's...

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
5/6/22 5:59 p.m.

I think the Best value is a 1969 -77 bug , 

you get independent rear suspension,  12v 1600cc motor , easy to install  Ghia front disc brakes.

Lots of interchangeable parts thru the years , 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
5/6/22 7:02 p.m.

But those tail lights on the 70's bugs... ew.   (Yes, I am a bit of an old VW snob)  

1SlowVW
1SlowVW HalfDork
5/6/22 7:34 p.m.

S1 scirocco is the best looking water cooled , but I have owned a mk2 now for almost 15 years and I think the mk2 is a better platform to modify than a mk1. Mk3's returned to the earth and mk4 cars were kind of meh. I keep eying cheap mk5 cars and wonder if the 07k motor will be the next one I turbocharge. 

As for air cooled stuff I would have a hard time chasing away a square back, and I do like a bug. Busses are neat but don't do for me what they do for others. 

Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
5/7/22 1:21 p.m.

And coincidentally I found a Beetle for my new wheels just 5 hours from home. 

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
5/7/22 3:24 p.m.

You all are sick, sick people, getting me excited about VWs again. 

I loved the late 80s GLI and GTI so, so much. A friend had a CIS with the swapped high compression head or whatever it was, and I absolutely loved it. Nearly bought it, but a move abroad made that impossible. I still remember lifting an inside wheel on a tight corner and just the wonderful feeling of that little car as I threw it in a corner.

I think the Mk4 R32 was pretty rad too. A guy at my local ax did really well in DS in that car, though they seemed to be derided at the time.

I still want a dozen different VWs, but the amount of care they need scares me off every time.

HundredDollarCar
HundredDollarCar Reader
5/7/22 11:38 p.m.

‘76-1/2 SUPER Scirocco.  I know it was super ‘cause the embarrassing large decals screamed SUPER SCIROCCO from wheel arch to wheel arch just below the body molding on each side.  Deep chocolate brown with the single front windshield wiper blade.  Original owner was the daughter of the Tallahassee VW dealership’s owner and someone thought it was a good idea to have a pinstripe artist paint a huge screaming eagle on the hood, just like the Trans Am’s of the day only....pinstripe.

Installed Bilstiens, header and an Ansa exhaust.  It got a new camshaft before the dealership sold it to me, and needed another shortly after I bought it.  It was my first FWD car and I had a heck of a time figuring out how to do donuts with it.

i still miss it and would probably pay stupid money to have it back...decals and all.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) Dork
5/8/22 7:58 a.m.

I want a 356, a Baja Beetle, a URQuattro along with the ones I previously mentioned.

Just VW the whole yard!

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
5/9/22 12:33 a.m.

Golf of any flavor.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/9/22 10:11 a.m.

18-window Safari Splitty.  Almost bought one in running condition about 15 years ago for $5300 and I passed.  I'd be a 40-thousand-aire right now if I had bought it.

5/9/22 10:14 a.m.

Always had a soft spot for a Fox wagon

1988 Volkswagen Fox Wagon | Classic cars, Vw fox, Volkswagen

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/9/22 10:19 a.m.

wide-5 bug or KG

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
5/9/22 10:29 a.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

18-window Safari Splitty.  Almost bought one in running condition about 15 years ago for $5300 and I passed.  I'd be a 40-thousand-aire right now if I had bought it.

That was my first car. I bought mine for $25 in 1979. 

5/9/22 10:41 a.m.
SV reX said:
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

That was my first car. I bought mine for $25 in 1979. 

Dang.  If you still had it, I'd give you $50 for it.  DOUBLE your investment.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
5/9/22 10:59 a.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

My second car was also a splitty. Paid $125 for that one. 

Both ran and drove. 

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
5/9/22 4:01 p.m.

My old boss had a 21 window safari. They had it walled into their office to keep the AC dehumidifying it while they collected parts. Her husband treated it's restoration as a full time job for a few months and it is glorious now. Wish I had a photo. Now it's her 35mph around town car, replacing the 65 Chevelle SS396 she had just sold. 

preach (dudeist priest)
5/9/22 4:21 p.m.

I sold a 21 window deluxe for $2500 in 1989. Dammit.

Toebra
Toebra Dork
5/9/22 5:01 p.m.

Type 47

preach (dudeist priest)
5/9/22 5:23 p.m.
Toebra said:

Type 47

Got one. Will not get rid of it.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/9/22 6:00 p.m.

My college roommate bought a Fox wagon new. She immediately took it on a fairly long road trip.

Upon returning, something happened with the financing so she had to go with a Fox sedan instead. But, free road trip car. :) 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
5/9/22 8:08 p.m.

A2s.

I used to like the A1s, but then I got an A2, and realized it was like twice better as a car for a hundred or two pounds extra weight.

Really, though, any watercooled that corners on three wheels.

\

This basically excludes the A4s and newer, and most of the A3s... which is absolutely fine by me!

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
5/9/22 9:44 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Corners on 3 wheels?  That would include a Yugo!

mechanicalmeanderings
mechanicalmeanderings New Reader
5/9/22 11:03 p.m.

That would be a 21 window, they count the doors as "1" per side but count all the rest.  I had a 13 window deluxe, no roof windows, walk through 1967,  it was rough, but a lot of fun.

5/10/22 9:46 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I love the sewing machine reliability of A2s.  My girlfriend (at the time in about 2003) got an A2 Jetta for free.  It needed work.  Water pump, timing belt, water pump housing, two axles, and a wheel bearing.  The parts for all of the above were $181 and the work was pretty simple.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/11/22 2:08 p.m.

Not sure if it's good or bad that I missed this one. Seller was here in town, too. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xGD3F3rAB8tNpxbOGjHeVWZsiTFKb5bkz19DDnqo9JWZTqTQwUztSiAgmfK9y4mW