That is cool. 

Woody
Woody MegaDork
12/14/17 7:07 p.m.

Wow, that's an early one.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
12/14/17 7:27 p.m.

the early 911s were interesting. Very hated by the faithful when they came out due to the six cylinder, they had a number of small handling "quirks" that required quick thinking on the Factory's part. One of these Fixes was to glue lead weights into the front bumper

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
12/14/17 7:34 p.m.

I just hope they had it well documented when it was first built. Most 901s were unique in one way or another. They still had a lot of 356 parts. Gauges for example were usually 356 and many had 3 gauges not 5. Heat exchaners and cooling fans evolved as well. These were pre-production. Peugeot ensured that all production cars were 911s, not 901s.

secretariata
secretariata Dork
12/14/17 7:44 p.m.

For the cubic $ put into that, I'd rather have a Singer... #heretic...devil

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon New Reader
12/14/17 7:50 p.m.
mad_machine said:

the early 911s were interesting. Very hated by the faithful when they came out due to the six cylinder, they had a number of small handling "quirks" that required quick thinking on the Factory's part. One of these Fixes was to glue lead weights into the front bumper

Using a 4 or a 4.5 inch wide wheel sure didn’t do anything for handling either.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage HalfDork
12/14/17 7:59 p.m.
Woody said:

How can you tell?

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Reader
12/14/17 8:32 p.m.

^The overall 356ness/Bugness of it between the narrow wheels and tires, lots of chrome, almost unflared fenders and lots of little things

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
12/14/17 8:33 p.m.

In reply to AClockworkGarage :

Mirror mounted to the roof instead of the windshield, narrow body, short wheelbase, skinny wheels.those are all the identifiers I know. Until fairly recently I honestly thought the 930 was the oldest 911, so I'm far from an expert. 

secretariata
secretariata Dork
12/14/17 8:38 p.m.
AClockworkGarage said:
Woody said:

How can you tell?

For me it was this from the article...  "The crew quickly contacted the Porsche museum, which discovered that chassis number 300.057 was one of the original models built before being was renamed." wink

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage HalfDork
12/15/17 12:21 a.m.

Meh, still looks just like the silver one in the background to me...

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
12/15/17 3:29 a.m.

In reply to AClockworkGarage :

That stupid joke still isn't accurate or funny, and I'm not even a Porsche guy.

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
12/15/17 7:14 a.m.

In the early 70's I worked for a Porsche Salvage yard in Downtown Atlanta, we had several cars that were sent to Germany for resto and one was built to race car specs by the Factory,  a 73 Targa I believe.  so this service by Porsche has been around for awhile and also Jaguar used to offer this service.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
12/15/17 7:24 a.m.

Does Porsche do this for only historically significant cars, or can anyone with cubic dollars in their couch cushions send a 911 to them? 

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
12/15/17 7:35 a.m.

Back then it was about the same as a new car,  But new cars cost a Lot more now.  I would Imagine there are more getting redone Today

NickD
NickD UltraDork
12/15/17 7:48 a.m.
secretariata said:

For the cubic $ put into that, I'd rather have a Singer... #heretic...devil

I'd rather have anything other than a Porsche

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
12/15/17 7:59 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

Really? The most reliable sports car made with more LeMans victories than any other manufacturer? And the 911 has been the benchmark since '65. Have you even owned one?

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
12/15/17 8:00 a.m.
markwemple said:

I just hope they had it well documented when it was first built. Most 901s were unique in one way or another. They still had a lot of 356 parts. Gauges for example were usually 356 and many had 3 gauges not 5. Heat exchaners and cooling fans evolved as well. These were pre-production. Peugeot ensured that all production cars were 911s, not 901s.

You are correct. The early 911s (901 here) were really equal parts evolutionary and revolutionary from the 356. Peugeot had trademarked all the three digit number combinations with a zero in the middle, so Porsche, not the juggernaut we know today, could not afford to either buy that trademark nor fight it in court, they quietly slipped a one into the designation and called it the "911"

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
12/15/17 8:02 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

My guess, is this, like BMW's 2002 retoration, is the start of factory restorations. With the prices of longhoods still going up, a restoration by Porsche would improve value, vs another restorer. I remember restorations by Stoddards that I had to judge. Man, did they get some details wrong!

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
12/15/17 8:16 a.m.
mad_machine said:

Tha evolution quirks of the 911 continues....my 1987 911 has a 20# weight bolted to  right front bumper for balance.

octavious
octavious Dork
12/15/17 8:43 a.m.

I love that the wood dash trim survived all these years. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
12/15/17 8:49 a.m.
markwemple said:

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

My guess, is this, like BMW's 2002 retoration, is the start of factory restorations. With the prices of longhoods still going up, a restoration by Porsche would improve value, vs another restorer. I remember restorations by Stoddards that I had to judge. Man, did they get some details wrong!

I'm kind of blown away by what all the air cooled cars are doing. I bought mine because it was a "driver" air cooled car that I didn't have to feel bad about just driving around. There are a TON of 964's, how could it ever be valuable? It's odd to think that someday it might be worth it to load it on a container to and have Porsche themselves go over it. The more cars I own the less I understand. 

NickD
NickD UltraDork
12/15/17 1:27 p.m.

In reply to markwemple :

I don't have any interest to. Maybe they are a great car to some people. But they just don't interest me or stir any feelings in me.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XYB25HJqh8PFUnV6PiXWc1Zksitc9PFlik7JFyIr5SJ5DlU0ClCuRqa1ErGXaUvo