1 2
eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
8/20/17 6:51 p.m.

It's looking like my challenge project may not be ready in time, and I've been wanting to get back into a Miata lately, so I'm thinking of killing two birds with one stone, and buying a challenge-priced Miata. Almost every cheap one I've seen in the OH-IN-northern KY area has a decent amount of rocker rust, among other problems, like being slammed to the ground on cheap coilovers. Is there anywhere that they can still be found in the sub-$2k price range, and still be pretty much ready to roll, and not about to rust apart, or are those days over?

I don't mind a little bit of rust, or some body damage, but what I see cheap around me is usually pretty bad. I just want something in good running order (or can be gotten there) for under $2K, potentially run in the challenge, and then have as a fun car afterwards. Don't care if its a 1.6 (but would prefer long nose crank) or a 1.8, has to be a stick shift, and can't be on its death bed.

How far south or west does one need to go to find something like that anymore, or are deals getting thin on the ground everywhere?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
8/20/17 6:55 p.m.

Things still pop up. A friend picked up a ratty NA with a hard top for $1400. This is in Texas.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler UberDork
8/20/17 7:08 p.m.

The answer is always..... Atlanta.

Homework
Homework New Reader
8/20/17 7:26 p.m.
Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
8/20/17 7:26 p.m.

Ill see them around here from time to time. I may be able to be boots on the ground if you need, but make no promises.

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project New Reader
8/20/17 7:33 p.m.

My brother recently bought an NA Miata in decent shape for $1500 or so. They are out there.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/20/17 7:42 p.m.

Florida.

Talk to dyntorace. He always seems to know where a couple are. He's in Gainesville, so that creates the opportunity for a fly-n-drive for a rust-free Miata.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
8/20/17 8:04 p.m.

They're definitely not around here - nice uncrashed ones that haven't been doriftoed are getting expensive. Before I bought the Mini I looked at a few and it seemed like the ones worth having were all close to $5k.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
8/20/17 8:08 p.m.

Leaky top, bad trans, and 980$ I paid. Even if I can't fix the trans, that's only 250$....

rodknock
rodknock New Reader
8/20/17 8:36 p.m.

I'm​ from the Dayton area and it was really hard to find a decent one for cheap. looked on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace every day for about 4 months before I could find one worth buying for under $3000.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
8/20/17 8:57 p.m.

I still think this one has potential: CL link

If it's just those rocker panels?

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane Dork
8/20/17 9:10 p.m.

I think you're about a month short of cheap Miata season. People are trying to finish the summer enjoying theirs before they move it on.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
8/20/17 9:12 p.m.

What about: Cincy Craigslist $2000

"New top, coilovers, side skirts, tinted windows and windshield, 1.6, runs good shifts good clutch is good. New vlsd installed, new ball joints, drilled and slotted rotors, pads, also have new inner/outer tie rods for it. Has ac heat ps and cc and pw"

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
8/20/17 9:27 p.m.

The one in the Columbus area has potential. The others scare me a bit with regard to rust, except for the Cincy one. Might have potential, but that new top seems a little loose, and I'm betting those coilovers are pretty much junk. Might still be worth looking at.

I'm going on a trip in a couple weeks, so maybe I should wait until I get back to get serious about looking, unless a deal falls into my lap, in order to see if deals get better as summer gets closer to an end.

I could also do a fly and drive, just think it'd have to be from someone on the board I could trust.

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
8/21/17 12:19 a.m.

LA area. They go cheap if they won't pass smog there or if they need more than a tune up to do so.

It just means you have to plan a fly and drive, but you can swing through Colorado to Flyin Miata on your way :)

dannyzabolotny
dannyzabolotny New Reader
8/21/17 1:28 a.m.

These are the best two I can find for a sub-$2000 budget in Phoenix...

https://yuma.craigslist.org/cto/d/miata-1993/6212495032.html

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/d/1992-mazda-miata-need-gone/6269725937.html

No idea where all the sub-$1000 ones went, I think the kids here just wrecked all of them.

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
8/21/17 6:12 a.m.

In about 2 weeks, they'll be in Michigan, when everyone figures out they don't have storage for the winter.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
8/21/17 6:40 a.m.
dannyzabolotny wrote: These are the best two I can find for a sub-$2000 budget in Phoenix... https://yuma.craigslist.org/cto/d/miata-1993/6212495032.html https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/d/1992-mazda-miata-need-gone/6269725937.html No idea where all the sub-$1000 ones went, I think the kids here just wrecked all of them.

Those look like $4000+ cars in SW Ohio. Except maybe for the bad top on the one.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
8/21/17 7:41 a.m.

I picked up a supercharged NB for $1000. It has rocker rust on the right side, but not that bad, and it has the frame rail rust issue, too. I'll fix that after the Challenge so I can DD it next summer. I found I had to be ready to pounce on a bargain the instant I saw it or I'd end up 4th in line to buy any bargains. I had the cash sitting in my night stand drawer at the ready.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
8/21/17 7:47 a.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: I picked up a supercharged NB for $1000. It has rocker rust on the right side, but not that bad, and it has the frame rail rust issue, too. I'll fix that after the Challenge so I can DD it next summer. I found I had to be ready to pounce on a bargain the instant I saw it or I'd end up 4th in line to buy any bargains. I had the cash sitting in my night stand drawer at the ready.

Yeah, I've got cash ready, too, just in case. My 1st shift job potentially precludes me from getting some deals, but I do refresh craigslist searches pretty regularly.

HonestSpeedShop
HonestSpeedShop New Reader
8/21/17 9:05 a.m.
Homework wrote: East of Columbus Indy

I looked at the one in etna... its much much much worse in person. Very rusty.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
8/21/17 3:16 p.m.
HonestSpeedShop wrote:

Thanks for letting me know. That would've been a long drive for a dud.

Edit: Besides the mods, the gray one in cincy is iffy, since it looks like those side skirts are covering over where the rockers tend to rust out.

HonestSpeedShop
HonestSpeedShop New Reader
8/21/17 3:43 p.m.
eastsidemav wrote:
HonestSpeedShop wrote:
Thanks for letting me know. That would've been a long drive for a dud. Edit: Besides the mods, the gray one in cincy is iffy, since it looks like those side skirts are covering over where the rockers tend to rust out.

Welcome, if there is any you want looked at in central ohio let me know.

calteg
calteg Dork
8/21/17 4:23 p.m.

I followed up on a CL ad with a fella trying to part out an NB. Went over there for parts, walked (towed?) out with a mostly intact NB for very cheap.

einy
einy HalfDork
8/21/17 6:12 p.m.

Mav ... I saw at least two candidates on Cinci C-list last week.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GpMlrsUHgBpEbaSXMjaev0vV7ojYxa4UIcyCZMl9QXbjAMEVi0rJgj1Dm2v8VTvK