It's whats on my driver's license. 

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera Dork
1/24/23 3:28 p.m.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/24/23 3:46 p.m.
Toyman! said:

I used to manage a hobby store. Any time I would see a kid customer around town, they would always say, "Mom/Dad, it's the Toyman!" It kind of stuck. I've been using it online since the internet consisted of a local text-based chat board called Carolina Chat in the 90s. IIRC I ran it on an old 8088 computer. 

I always think of this.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
1/24/23 3:54 p.m.

During My introduction to the Navy the CPO ( Chief Petty Officer) couldn't pronounce my last name. Out of frustration he said "you're Frenchy from now on". It stuck through my Navy tour and I was so used to it it's stuck through my life so far. 
 Now I'm glad it did.  Hate to be confused with the prince , future king of England. William.  
  Incidentally  I'm directly related to the pirate with the same name . ( according to ancestry. Com ) So on National talk like a pirate day Arrgghh!  
  He started out as the navigator to Captain Cook in his circumnavigation of the globe but after Cook was killed on Christmas Island He took over the ship.  Discovered and explored the Great Barrier Reef and much of Australia. 
      And finished that circumnavigation and one or two others. Then went to the Caribbean to be a pirate ( er Buccaneer because he had a letter from the King) 

On his way back to England he stopped off in Virginia and had a dalliance    ( With a lady from there ) and out of wedlock  my great great great great ?   Grandfather was born a Bast•••    

TGMF
TGMF HalfDork
1/24/23 3:56 p.m.

TGMF- Tall gangly MF'r.     Nickname from high school

*still tall and gangly 25 some years later.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
1/24/23 4:47 p.m.

"Boxhead" is older British military-ish slang for German. No prizes for guessing where I'm from originally. 

I'll leave guessing where the "Tim" part came from as an exercise for the reader

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/24/23 5:14 p.m.

My name is taken from Bear Mountain overlooking the family farm. Dad had a big sign at the end of the driveway with bears cavorting, and the words bear farm underneath. One day some english tourists pulled in wanting to see the bears they thought we were farming, but sadly for them (and us kids) it was not that kind of farm. My brother and I have also taken the name for a variety of businesses we owned, and since it went well with my name but was too long so I abbreviated mountain and have used it for decades now.

slantvaliant (Forum Supporter)
slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/24/23 5:16 p.m.

I have a certain fondness for that marvel of late-1950's inline six engine design often used in a specific Plymouth compact.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo PowerDork
1/24/23 5:29 p.m.

wrote a book long version in the thread mainlandboy linked to, so I'll put the tl;dr in ~2000words here:

a non-trivial amount of the blame for both names rests on OneLap and Mazdeuce.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
1/24/23 7:11 p.m.

Well, once upon a time a man gave his son the middle name "Asa"
Then later on, that man had a son and gave him the name "Asa"
Then he had a son, and they skipped that.
Then he had a son, and they gave him the middle name "Asa" and that was me.
I think there is at least one more Asa further back.

Then Stampie loved me so much he named his son after me before we even met.

Fun fact, I have my great grandfather's cross-cut saw.  He was a carpenter.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
1/24/23 7:15 p.m.

Back in the early days of forums, I was drag racing a ZX-12R Kawi...

At the track one time, someone said, "that thing looks like a pissed of Pterodactyl!"  Shortly after that, I was signing up on a motorcycle forum and it just came to me...  not surprising since I loved watching the Japanese monster movies on Saturday mornings when I was a kid.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
1/24/23 7:33 p.m.

I trick bacteria and cancer cells lines into make drugs at their own expense to kill other cancer cells and bacteria. 

Nockenwelle
Nockenwelle New Reader
1/24/23 7:36 p.m.

Nockenwelle=camshaft in German. I favor German cars and domestic hot rods, and build motors, so camshafts are a thing for me. Plus it's a sorta funny word for us continentals. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle UltraDork
1/24/23 8:04 p.m.

I have lived in six states. My username represents four of them. I added the last letter just for fun. 

aka Scott

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic HalfDork
1/24/23 8:18 p.m.

Well, I built this.

drock25too
drock25too HalfDork
1/24/23 8:27 p.m.
VolvoHeretic said:

Well, I built this.

Wow ! I like that.  

First initial, last name and car number. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/24/23 10:06 p.m.

Mine has exceptionally deep meaning to me.  It's a complicated story of love, loss, and triumph set in a dystopian, post-apocalyptic future.

It was actually just the username that Ebay suggested when I made an account in the late 90s.  I'm lazy enough that I just use it for everything so I don't forget.

It's my name and birth year.

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Reader
1/24/23 10:20 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Just out of curiosity...

Would your first name and last name work like this example. Sly (short for Sylvester) Asa Foxx?? Sometimes parents are creative like that.

BradLTL
BradLTL UltraDork
1/24/23 10:25 p.m.

Well, it's a combination of my first name (very clever) and the initials of my on-air personality from a syndicated morning radio talk show.

Bonus points to whoever can figure it out. 

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
1/24/23 10:43 p.m.

It's the elapsed time for the second gen CTSV driven by John Heinricy at the Nurburgring  in 2009 and at that time 

the fastest production four door sedan at this venue .......but not for long.....and most definitely not a Cadillac 

ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter)
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) Dork
1/24/23 11:13 p.m.

Back in the 90's, I bought an AE86 Toyota Corolla GT-S as my first car, and I loved that car so. I rapidly became a certified 80's RWD Toyota fanboy, and thanks to the rapidly-proliferating newfangled internet, I was nerding out on automotive stuff like this crazy underground Japanese hashiriya/drifting car culture, and buying pirated VHS copies of Video Option for home viewing pleasure. I also learned of these wacky Finns building insane 2WD rally cars for F-Cup competition, sliding through Scandinavian forests at 8000 rpm sideways. I was entranced by the fact that although locally I felt alone at times in sea of domestic and drag race enthusiasts, plus a small (pre FnF) FWD "import drag" enthusiast scene, globally I wasn't alone in loving corners more than straights, and sliding around on pavement and gravel with a screaming smallbore RWD car. I made online friends with like minded folk 'round the world. 

Shortly thereafter I bought a lovely metallic brown Toyota KP61 Starlet from a neighbor for the princely sum of $80. AE86 and KP61. Online handle that has stuck since. laugh

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
1/24/23 11:49 p.m.

I started using mine when I got my BMW M2. Not a 2015 or later M2 but the original. A '76 2002 with s14 M3 engine.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/25/23 12:07 a.m.

In reply to M2Pilot :

I always assumed this:

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/25/23 4:23 a.m.

My father, and his father 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
1/25/23 6:25 a.m.

I was hoping to receive at least one internet test points for getting my name and last initial correct.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qyiZsFGQ4Ezf8svD2awO1JNIPwrF7Tg5qZt0g0DgvfbX5ye0klGnnVGgHKIDYesQ