1 2 3
steelynorm
steelynorm New Reader
3/3/11 6:47 p.m.

Why does the boxster not seem to get a lot of love, prices are getting reasonable. Are these going to become GRM Staple, or are they too problematic and expensive to fix.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
3/3/11 6:54 p.m.

There have been a few threads about them. I wouldn't say they are the next Miata, but they have a following.

steelynorm
steelynorm New Reader
3/3/11 6:56 p.m.

I just looked on CL Bay area and their are dozens of early model boxsters that could be had for less than 10k dollars.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
3/3/11 7:00 p.m.

97-98 are sketchy. Case Porosity issues cause complete loss of engines without ANY warning. And there is really nothing you can do about it.

If anyone developed a cost effective Suby swap kit, I am sure they would sell the hell out of them.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/3/11 7:20 p.m.

And look for some Boxster love in the next issue.

mmosbey
mmosbey New Reader
3/3/11 7:25 p.m.

IMS bearing failure is an issue across the board, though later models are better. The impression I get is that all Boxsters are somewhat susceptible. Having unpredictable complete engine failure as a downside scares me away from these low-buck Boxsters a bit.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
3/3/11 7:27 p.m.

I have this book. It just came out a few months ago and it will teach you almost everything that you need to know.

oldtin
oldtin Dork
3/3/11 7:32 p.m.

I wouldn't mind one at all. Wonder if an LS will fit if the flat six pukes

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Reader
3/3/11 7:34 p.m.

Believe everything you read on the internet about premature engine failures

because it drives down prices for the rest of us.

David

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
3/3/11 7:35 p.m.
Woody wrote: I have this book. It just came out a few months ago and it will teach you almost everything that you need to know.

I hate to threadjack and be a tard at the same time, but I put that book on sale just the first of the month. I could probably even work a special GRM price.

pigeon
pigeon Dork
3/3/11 7:40 p.m.

Panorama just did a 3 part 3.4 upgrade feature called "Boxter Crisis". Not exactly a how-to but an interesting and informative read.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
3/3/11 7:44 p.m.
pigeon wrote: Panorama just did a 3 part 3.4 upgrade feature called "Boxter Crisis". Not exactly a how-to but an interesting and informative read.

Yeah, it isn't bad. Sounds like a fun upgrade. Not cheap...but fun.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Dork
3/3/11 7:47 p.m.

I want a Boxster. Not as much as I want a 911, but I do want it. I also want a Cayman.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
3/3/11 7:50 p.m.

I've driven a friend of mine's. It had "issues" but no CEL and I think the 5SFE Camry would have beat it off the line. After all that was worked out, I think it's about as fast off the line as my 20v Rolla, which is pretty quick. My Esprit would kick it's butt off the line, once I was spooled up. It cornered very nicely. I would consider it a nice driver car.

steelynorm
steelynorm New Reader
3/3/11 7:51 p.m.

it sounds like the IMS failure is correctible, not too costly in porsche-speak, how long will it last after that upgrade.

are these as bullet proof as the 3.0liter?

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
3/3/11 7:53 p.m.

IMS upgrade is completely correctable and once upgraded, will last the life of the car.

As bullet proof as the Aircooled 3.0 liter? Not a chance in hell.

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
3/3/11 8:08 p.m.

I still can't get over the fact that the amount of front overhang that these cars have and there is no engine up there. They have a nose like a toucan.

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
3/3/11 8:16 p.m.

I will have one one day... Seal Gray, S-model with the 6-speed. For the wife

loosecannon
loosecannon New Reader
3/3/11 8:19 p.m.

We have a 2004 base Boxster and love it-it's the best car I have ever owned. It has been reliable, easy to maintain and live with and was the quickest Boxster at the 2010 SCCA Nationals. I have driven an F430, Ford GT, Audi R8, 911 Turbo and Gallardo around a race track and my Boxster handles better than all of them-it's just not as fast in a straight line.

TR8owner
TR8owner Reader
3/3/11 9:17 p.m.

Isn't a Boxster a woman's car? :-) Did you ever see that one episode of Two and a Half Men. Crazy Charlie's brother Allan gets a Boxster andthe whole shoe evolves around it being a "women's car". LOL!!

But then, the only person I know who owns a Boxster is a woman. She's my dentist :-)

snipes
snipes Reader
3/3/11 9:41 p.m.

here patrick motorsports

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
3/3/11 9:43 p.m.

I just took a ride in a friends Boxster S RS 60 Spider. The limited edition stuff doesn't add much in terms of performance, but it is a top of the line Boxter S and that is saying a lot. It goes like stink and handles like a mofo. The ride is pretty livable as well.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
3/3/11 9:46 p.m.

I have a friend who stuck a 3.6 in one. It does a good job of smoking well prepared 911s in GTS3.

killerkane
killerkane New Reader
3/3/11 10:00 p.m.

I'd like one but am afraid of the maintainence, although I would prefer the coupe version instead, aka the Cayman.

Vigo
Vigo Dork
3/3/11 10:01 p.m.
Believe everything you read on the internet about premature engine failures because it drives down prices for the rest of us.

^this. Please.

Its towards the near end of my list of will-do cars.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FN7wq3bFj8dDO4oQmbXiI5d00BNobUBc1wswtOQ790drkqPMCvY5TAh7rU89a5Tw