1 2
T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
12/3/14 9:16 a.m.

Let's just say that I wanted to get my hands on a 1.0 ecoboost engine, manual transmission, accessories and whatever magic computer gizmos I'd need to make the engine run in a different car. I'm assuming that the best way to go about this would be to find a wrecked Fiesta, but the whole thing, take what I need and then part of scrap the rest.

Is there something other than copart where I can search for such a car? Really only interested in something close enough to drag home as I don't want to pay for shipping the thing across the whole country.

Where do I look to find one?

EvanB
EvanB UltimaDork
12/3/14 9:19 a.m.

Engine swap for the Mini?

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
12/3/14 9:27 a.m.

Might try team o'neil rally school. They build rally fiesta's, they might have a line on one, or have a direction for you to look.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
12/3/14 9:34 a.m.

In reply to EvanB:

Yes, but just a hypothetical swap at this point. Not sure if the engine would fit under the bonnet as it may be too tall. It looks like it is small enough otherwise even with the tiny turbo stuck on the front of it.

Just trying to get a ball park figure for the parts at this point, but having a hard time figuring out a price for the engine other than in England where there seems to be a lot of them for sale.

captdownshift
captdownshift Dork
12/3/14 9:40 a.m.

I know that they've been available for nearly a year now and I've only seen a single one on the road. The used market is likely nonexistent at this point. Also if you plan on putting it in the front of a Mini then you're putting it in the wrong place.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
12/3/14 10:01 a.m.

Pretty hard to tell the difference, from the out side. other than the little emblem on the back.

The "Fiesta Faction" has a whole section on the 1.0. Have not heard of any "totals".

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
12/3/14 10:09 a.m.

http://www.sgi.sk.ca/salvage_bid/index.html

Check this place weekly. I'll collect it for you if need be.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
12/3/14 10:34 a.m.

Hope you can find one that was in an accident like Duke's daughter's Subie- that way all of the fromt car package will be available without being broken. It would be a very good idea to get all of the cooling package- which has both engine coolant as well as intake cooling.

Oh, and get the fuel pump- it's part of the integration of the fuel system.

The controller will be tough. Really tough. We did a project at work where we put a production 2010 engine in a hot rod, and even with all of our tools it was a PITA.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
12/3/14 5:15 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver:

That sounds daunting. Hopefully, I do not find a semi-local Fiesta with the 1.0 for a too good to pass up price. Maybe this is a project that is better to type about than to actually do. The water cooled exhaust manifold and two separate cooling loops, the variable output oil pump, the variable valve timing, the direct injection and who knows what else, makes me think the only way to do a swap with this engine was to start with a running Fiesta and go from there.

Travis_K
Travis_K UberDork
12/4/14 12:01 a.m.

Have you actually driven one? I did, and it was way less interesting in real life than it sounds like it should be.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
12/4/14 4:00 p.m.

In reply to Travis_K:

No, I haven't even seen one. Imagine that engine with more than a 1000 pounds less to carry around. Does that make it seem a little more exciting?

nokincy
nokincy New Reader
12/4/14 4:15 p.m.

Not here to help, but what about the Chevy 1.4 Ecotec turbo that is in the Cruze and Sonic? Don't know the dimensions but it would certainly be easier to find one.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
3/27/15 8:41 a.m.

Bringing this thread back from the dead just to post this link.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
3/27/15 8:51 a.m.

In reply to T.J.:

value - repair = $1,022.

Based on that- that car is totaled, right?

And unless you knew people who were looking for those exact parts, that car is pretty useless. Wonder how much it will go for?

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
3/27/15 8:52 a.m.

I'd check copart. Everyone I know that's wrecked a car new and old.has had it emd up there.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
3/27/15 8:53 a.m.

Wow, OK I need to pay more attention. To my credit, I've been at work since... Yesterday.

trucke
trucke HalfDork
3/27/15 9:21 a.m.

Here is another auction house.

IAA Auto Auctions

trucke
trucke HalfDork
3/27/15 9:28 a.m.

Here is one in New Jersey form IAAI.com. Scroll over VIN to get a pop-up of vehicle info.

1.0 L

drdisque
drdisque Reader
3/27/15 9:33 a.m.

That's the kind of engine bay that just screams "hey, this would be easy to swap into something else!" NOT

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
3/27/15 9:53 a.m.

In reply to drdisque:

I just see a lot of needless plastic and some wires. If you have the entire car, it shouldn't be any different than swapping in something else. The only thing that size is a old Suzuki 1.3L DOHC, those are thin on the ground and have half the torque.

drummerfromdefleopard
drummerfromdefleopard SuperDork
3/27/15 9:59 a.m.

In reply to drdisque:

I wouldn't be too sure of that, look at the battery for a size reference of that engine bay.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
3/27/15 10:45 a.m.

Yes, but take a look at Alfa's post from this thread's first go around. I think it would be fun to use a 1.0L ecoboost in a swap, but it would be far from easy to get it to work.

kb58
kb58 Dork
3/27/15 11:13 a.m.
T.J. wrote: ... it would be fun to use a 1.0L ecoboost in a swap, but it would be far from easy to get it to work.

This. Unless you bring over everything (engine, transmission, ECU, probably the ignition key assembly, and ALL emissions gear, which probably includes the fuel tank), it's not going start up with no errors. What's needed is an modified (or standalone) ECU that allows you to disable all the error codes if the whole kit and caboodle isn't swapped in.

I've built cars around a Honda H22A1 and RSX K20, and neither would have even started without modified ECUs.

drummerfromdefleopard
drummerfromdefleopard SuperDork
3/27/15 11:35 a.m.

In reply to kb58:

that's the case for 95% of swaps using egines from cars manufactured after 2000, not just a 1.0L ecoboost

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
3/27/15 11:42 a.m.

True, but this engine has some additional tricks between the direct injection, the cooling system, turbo overboost function, variable cam timing and who knows what else. This needs a stand alone type ECU from Ford to be a viable swap candidate. They sell engine control packs for other ecoboost engines, so maybe one will eventually be offered for the little guy of the bunch.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
c0Sada1EYNBfd0QmueNbNDFKfKlPrePbJ6Pq01U5cwmmJEDaiRBtI9dcAO1TMTPO