markdavis898901
markdavis898901
6/3/20 10:14 a.m.

Hello, I am a new member here and have a question.
I am looking to purchase a portable air compressor for home use. Preferably, I’d like a quieter one on wheels or a portable one that I can use around the house. I’ve been doing some research online but thought it best to ask.

Does anyone have any idea of something that might fit this remit?

Thanks,

CAinCA
CAinCA Reader
6/3/20 10:26 a.m.

In reply to markdavis898901 :

I've had a California Air Tools 2hp 10 gallon compressor for about 6 years. I've been really happy with it. They are much quieter than those pancake style oil less and even piston pump compressors. They don't have enough CFM to run a sand blaster or something like that, but for normal home use they are fine. I use mine to run the mist less cooling system on my CNC mill. I run a 1/16" orifice at 90PSI for hours on end. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/California-Air-Tools-10-Gal-2-0-HP-Ultra-Quiet-and-Oil-Free-Electric-Air-Compressor-10020C/206644539?mtc=Shopping-B-F_D25H-G-D25H-25_28_COMPRESSORS_AND_AIR_TOOL-Multi-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-Compressors_PLA&cm_mmc=Shopping-B-F_D25H-G-D25H-25_28_COMPRESSORS_AND_AIR_TOOL-Multi-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-Compressors_PLA-71700000052227371-58700005026398229-92700052952925307&gclid=Cj0KCQjwlN32BRCCARIsADZ-J4tnmttWCubmxydJfbAB6w4ecOTJXMwmrziDoyGD2cyD8o4g2roNhRMaAkJlEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

hobiercr (FS)
hobiercr (FS) SuperDork
6/3/20 11:10 a.m.

In reply to markdavis898901 :

What do you want to use it for? Filling tires, DA Sander, air nailer, Painting? The use will help determine the cfm needs and storage requirements.

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Reader
6/3/20 5:43 p.m.

Yes, depends on your needs for cfm. That said, I got the smallest Harbor Freight "Fortress" compressor a few weeks ago and I love it. Small 1 gallon tank means the compressor is running a lot, but it's whisper quiet so you can barely tell it's on. It's also super portable and easy to store. 

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
6/3/20 7:03 p.m.

For around the shed use we bought a 30gal Husky oilless and replaced it twice in a year for pressure line leaks. When it broke again they gave us the runaround and we got a Kobalt 30gal oilless. It's not had any issues after a year. It gets used for the air gun and that's about it, but cycles about twice daily.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
6/3/20 10:17 p.m.

I have an ancient sears/devilbiss 30gal 2 stg. Runs on 110, but has a 240v motor. Best compressor ever once I fix the pressure switch that's stuck closed and will pop the blow off at 175psi.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
6/4/20 6:14 a.m.

Depends on what you want to do.. At this point, I'm questioning the need for a compressor...  The rechargeable tools are soo good.  

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/4/20 6:48 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

Depends on what you want to do.. At this point, I'm questioning the need for a compressor...  The rechargeable tools are soo good.  

Yeah, I bought one, then an air impact, rachet, fittings, lines, hose reel, air chuck, blow gun...

I use my DeWalt cordless impact. The key words are bought and use.

Fueled by Caffeine said:

As tempting as the cordless stuff is, I have a couple of issues with them.

They are huge compared to comparable air tools. 

They are probably twice the weight.

Changing a set of tires, it makes little to no difference. If I'm spending the day working on cars, I'd rather use air tools. 

Sergeant82d (Forum Supporter)
Sergeant82d (Forum Supporter) New Reader
6/4/20 7:01 a.m.

Do not underestimate the value of compressed air. Even though you use cordless power tools, sometimes there is simply no better way of cleaning some things than just blowing them off. I'm talking workbenches, tools, dark corners of the shop... and of course, filling tires. Not to mention shop showers (knocking the dust/crap off your clothes and self, before entering the abode of SWMBO*).

I'm not sure how I could use my blasting cabinet without CA... :-)

* She Who Must Be Obeyed

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
6/4/20 7:14 a.m.

The issue I have is that 99% of my jobs with air can be done with a small 1gal type compressor. Blowing stuff off, filling tires, running the finish nailer. The things I need more air for are things like my blast cabinet which require a big stationary compressor. The problem is that I have a 20 year old Craftsman 30gal (20gal?) upright that is a huge pain to move for 99% of the things I need it for and not really big enough for the blast cabinet. I need to get motivated to get rid of it and get a tiny compressor and a big compressor. 

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
6/4/20 7:58 a.m.
Sergeant82d (Forum Supporter) said:

...there is simply no better way of cleaning some things than just blowing them off. I'm talking workbenches, tools, dark corners of the shop...

Mine gets used a lot for blowing off me! Nothing takes sanding dust off of clothes, skin, hair better or faster than just blowing off.

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish Reader
6/4/20 8:12 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

This is the answer.  Tiny compressor for outdoor work.  Big mamajama for shop work.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/4/20 8:26 a.m.

Which compressor?  Always the biggest one you can afford!

To be fair, I have two.  Well, three if you count the medium-sized one that the big one replaced.  The other one is a little Bostitch pancake compressor.  Both of them get used regularly.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
6/4/20 8:44 a.m.

This Goldilocks picked this one, it was $50 cheaper when I bought it:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/porter-cable-20-gallon-portable-belt-drive-air-compressor?cm_vc=-10005

They had a vertical version with the same pump/motor at the time I purchased 3-4 years ago, but that doesn't appear to be the case anymore.  The vertical version they carry now, has fewer CFM than the horizontal.

Granted I haven't shopped for a few years now, but at the time of purchase, that was the best bang/buck I could find, with useable CFM and capacity, new.

If you want quiet, avoid the homeowner/big box store oilless compressors.

mazdeuce - Seth said:

The issue I have is that 99% of my jobs with air can be done with a small 1gal type compressor. Blowing stuff off, filling tires, running the finish nailer. The things I need more air for are things like my blast cabinet which require a big stationary compressor. The problem is that I have a 20 year old Craftsman 30gal (20gal?) upright that is a huge pain to move for 99% of the things I need it for and not really big enough for the blast cabinet. I need to get motivated to get rid of it and get a tiny compressor and a big compressor. 

This is worth repeating. 

I have a 2 Gal compressor that works perfect for portable use as stated above. 

My shop compressor is a 80 gal Quincy that will run every air tool you can imagine, but at somewhere around 600 pounds you really don't want to move it. 

carczar_84
carczar_84 Reader
6/4/20 9:13 a.m.

In reply to bigdaddylee82 :

I'll second this one.  I bought what looks like the exact same compressor just re-badged from Northern Tools about 5-6 years ago, and it has been a great addition to the garage.  At the time it was the same price as the one you linked, but it looks like they have jumped up in the last few years.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200518765_200518765

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture UltimaDork
6/4/20 9:24 a.m.

I was looking for the quietest pancake compressor I could find locally and ended up with a Dewalt. It's great for the light usage I need it for. I was looking hard at the California Air Tools compressors, which get great reviews, but would have had to wait quite a while to get one via mail.

pirate
pirate HalfDork
6/4/20 10:59 a.m.

I had a vertical 12 gallon oil less Craftsman compressor that ran just about all my pneumatic tools (die grinder, drill motor etc.) with the exception of sanders and small blast cabinet. My biggest complaint was it was very loud and even though it ran the tools the compressor ran 80 to 90% of the time the tools were being used at 90 psi.

I currently have a Kobalt 60 gallon that does everything I need and is much quieter. When sand blasting even in my small cabinet it runs 80% of the time but all blasters are air hogs and sand blasting is a very small percentage of how it is used. 

You really need to think about your needs to determine what type and size compressor you need.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ufk15WPezlUf4p6mPWg4KJGBvGEl7QUnh4h17fhJW0fdavoidorUDXr2JRNBeC2U