6 7 8 9 10
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
8/12/22 10:36 p.m.

In reply to GCrites80s :

Yeah, it's definitely going to be more accurate than the "fill it 'till the pump clicks" method. But some people don't believe the dash for some reason. 

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
8/13/22 1:04 a.m.

My first gen Ridgeline averages under 20 MPG and my darn Subaru only gets around 26, so 40 sounds awesome! 

It's good to hear that the back seat is relatively spacious. 

Where I am, Hybrids are available, but only in base and Lariat. XLTs seem to be unobtanium, so you have to add $12K worth of fru-fru to get some of the nicities. 

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Dork
8/13/22 8:51 a.m.

Definitely seeing more Mavericks around -- 3 in the last 2 days.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
8/13/22 8:59 a.m.

I have tracked every tank on every car I've owned for the past 10-15 years.  The dash readout on most has been optimistic by 5-10%, with the exception of the Prius. Or the pump readout has favored me spending more $$ :)

tremm
tremm Reader
8/13/22 1:56 p.m.

I think the same, and 48mpg is significantly out of line with fuelly https://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/maverick/2022

A 50mpg small pickup would be great though.

dps214
dps214 Dork
8/13/22 2:29 p.m.

I'd guess the actual number is more like 45, which seems pretty reasonable for purposeful driving in "not quite pure city driving" conditions.

tremm
tremm Reader
8/13/22 2:45 p.m.

I'm getting more of a, 'expect 38-40, and you won't be disappointed' vibe on fuelly

Tom Suddard
8/13/22 3:47 p.m.

I just filled it up for the first time. 39.8 assuming the tank was completely full when we grabbed it from the airport parking lot (it couldn't have been), which is just slightly lower than the dash average. 

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Dork
8/13/22 4:21 p.m.

I would think that MPG gauge error would be correlated with speedometer error but today's cars don't have nearly as much speedo error as cars from 25+ years ago.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/13/22 4:25 p.m.

So about 20 years ago, the Ranger was pretty close to the Maverick is today.  The best we got with it was 22mpg.  To me, a useful pick up type vehicle that gets north of 30mpg and is as useful as that is astonishing.

Tom Suddard
8/13/22 4:28 p.m.

In reply to GCrites80s :

Right, but I'm using the same speedometer to track distance with the fuel pump method. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/13/22 4:33 p.m.

My personal focus is on XL Hybrid.  Its great that its a truck that gets 40 mpg.  But at $20k (before destination, etc) it is also an economy car that happens to be a truck and also happen to not be that small.  

List of cheapest cars sold in US for 2022 and their mpg for combo driving:

Chevy Spark: $14.6k @ 33mpg

Mitsu Mirage: $16.2k @ 36

Versa: $16.2 @ 30

Rio/Accent: $17.3k @ 36

Impreza: $19.8k @ 26 (miserable mpg)

Forte: $20.2k @ 35

Hyundai Venue and Soul: $20.5k @ 31 or 27

Sentra: $20.6k @ 33

Given that group above I would gravitate to the Forte stripper but the Maverick stripper is slightly cheaper (generally same price) and 15% better mpg.  

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Dork
8/13/22 4:38 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

In reply to GCrites80s :

Right, but I'm using the same speedometer to track distance with the fuel pump method. 

I suppose I'm talking more along the line of people reporting different MPG numbers from the fuel pump method than the gauge may want to check for speedo error which also leads to odo error.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Dork
8/13/22 4:42 p.m.
John Welsh said:

My personal focus is on XL Hybrid.  Its great that its a truck that gets 40 mpg.  But at $20k (before destination, etc) it is also an economy car that happens to be a truck and also happen to not be that small.  

Given that group above I would gravitate to the Forte stripper but the Maverick stripper is slightly cheaper (generally same price) and 15% better mpg.  

Does anyone know how much the Maverick is going to go up this year? Or if additional options come standard thereby raising the price?

dps214
dps214 Dork
8/13/22 5:20 p.m.
GCrites80s said:
John Welsh said:

Does anyone know how much the Maverick is going to go up this year? Or if additional options come standard thereby raising the price?

Prices have been updating all year on the build and price tool. As of now the base hybrid is up to $20,995. No idea if there will be more increases by the time '23 model ordering opens (if it ever does, at this rate).

Edit: the problem, I'm guessing, with the car calculated fuel economy is that it's not a directly measured value, it's calculated based off of several other measurements, with a bunch of variables between input and output, so it can be pretty good but never really exact. If you do some googling there's all kinds of places that report that they pretty universally read at least slightly optimistic.

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/13/22 6:14 p.m.

Any idea what the lead time on orders is? 

I read somewhere here in this thread that orders for '23 models open up next week?  Just joined MCA to get access to X-plan so trying to time when to order so I don't have to take delivery before my 90 day "waiting period" is over.  Considering an XLT with the hitch & spray in bedliner (which I'm seeing may add some delay & help me out) as the only options.

dps214
dps214 Dork
8/13/22 6:35 p.m.

Orders open mid September...as of now. At this point I'd guess you'd be pretty lucky to take delivery this year, considering that there are still people whose '22 orders are being rolled over to '23 models. The bed liners have been one of the options causing extra delays, I'd order without it and get it done locally after delivery.

Tom Suddard
8/13/22 7:58 p.m.

I plan on waiting about a year for mine when orders open up. That's one reason I'm trying to buy this press car. 

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Dork
8/13/22 8:04 p.m.
secretariata (Forum Supporter) said:

Any idea what the lead time on orders is? 

I read somewhere here in this thread that orders for '23 models open up next week? 

It was supposed to be the 16th of this month.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UberDork
8/13/22 8:31 p.m.

Regarding the MPG, even if the dashboard isn't 100% accurate, 39 is still an awesome number for a little truck that can do truck things.  No, not tow a 24 foot enclosed car hauler, but for weekend trips to the home improvement store, it'd be perfect.

Tom, you offered to take some measurements beyond what the normal specs say.  I think the two important ones would be distance between the front of the bed to the wheel well and the overall length of the bed with the tailgate down.  I'm thinking if a kart would fit, the rear tires would extend to a lowered tailgate (should be fine).  But the front end and the front wheels would need to fit  between the front of the bed and the wheel wells.

Our thinking is to get a turbo one and tow a 6x12 enclosed trailer, but for little weekend jaunts to the track, being able to stick the kart in the bed would be awesome.

-Rob

Tom Suddard
8/13/22 8:57 p.m.

Here's my most recent trip in the truck. I was pretty easy on the gas but still had some fun in the corners. Seriously impressed with the fuel economy.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle UltraDork
8/13/22 9:32 p.m.

In reply to rob_lewis :

I would love to get a hybrid Maverick because it's basically a Prius that looks like a truck - but I still chuckle when the home improvement store utility is suggested... Just make sure you get the drywall or plywood cut down to 4x4 sheets. 

In reply to secretariata (Forum Supporter) :

What is MCA?

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
8/13/22 9:47 p.m.
OHSCrifle said:

In reply to rob_lewis :

I would love to get a hybrid Maverick because it's basically a Prius that looks like a truck - but I still chuckle when the home improvement store utility is suggested... Just make sure you get the drywall or plywood cut down to 4x4 sheets. 

The tailgate can be set at the same level as the wheel wells, to act as a support for 4x8 sheets.  While I wouldn't put drywall directly on something like that, plywood is probably just fine.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UberDork
8/13/22 9:54 p.m.
OHSCrifle said:

In reply to rob_lewis :

Actually, a 4x8 sheet will fit in the back with the tailgate down.  Yeah, it hangs over the end, but it is doable.  Granted, you're not taking home 50 of them in the back of a Maverick, but it'd be fine for small loads.  Again, for the average homeowner, it'd haul better than any other hybrid that gets over 30mpg.....

Sorry, not be be overly defensive of them.  Just wanted to point out they're not as useless as people seem to make them out to be.  Full disclosure, I think one would be great for my son, but I'd still need a full size truck for myself to haul projects and stuff home.

-Rob

dps214
dps214 Dork
8/13/22 10:49 p.m.

I just saw a news article that production start is pushed back until November. So zero chance of getting one within 90 days, no worries there.

6 7 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
g08dejsM4Nodvg2PeHm30MXRVOLmRTmWjTcEj9QqePgcRyzVKUxv3mrEgS3R67fM