1 2 3
Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
1/16/17 11:18 a.m.

I just continue to apprise all of the Lexus GX. No you wont get a new one in that range, but sub 100k miles in that range is doable. That should get you into a GX460 with no worries of the timing belt then.

We have a 470 and have racked up the miles with no issues for near 2 years now. Average about 25k a year I think. Though, do not look for mpg with it.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
1/17/17 1:55 p.m.

I have a close friend in Austin,TX. Saw this on his local CL. Probably high price for the mileage, but it looks nice, and should do the trick.

Lexus GX460

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
1/17/17 2:03 p.m.

Lexus's (Lexi?) are great too. The LX450 and LX470 are bulletproof and very nice places to be, and would probably be well under budget (but a little older as well). Rarer, but there are Land Cruisers out there too if you look.

I'm not sure what the RX350's are rated at for towing but that would be smaller and a little more fuel efficient (the wife has one of these). They sell/lease about a million a year so there are plenty of options.

TGMF
TGMF Reader
1/18/17 8:25 a.m.

In reply to CobraSpdRH: RX350 is a great vehicle, but:

3500lbs with AWD Unitbody construction too, rather than full frame.

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
1/18/17 1:20 p.m.
TGMF wrote: In reply to CobraSpdRH:3500lbs with AWD RX350 is a great vehicle, but: Unitbody construction too, rather than full frame.

The full frame thing is becoming less of an issue. Jeep Grand Cherokee, Dodge Durango, Ford Explorer, GMC Acadia, etc. are all unibody and all rated to tow more than 5k lbs.

STM317
STM317 HalfDork
1/18/17 1:53 p.m.

In reply to NGTD:

The Porsche Cayenne and VW Tiguan that people here often rave about are unibody too, and they have similar tow ratings.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
1/18/17 2:03 p.m.

I would find the nicest FJ100 I could and never look back. At that budget, you would pocket about $8k left over for gas.

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
1/18/17 2:11 p.m.
STM317 wrote: In reply to NGTD: The Porsche Cayenne and VW Tiguan that people here often rave about are unibody too, and they have similar tow ratings.

The Tiguan is the little one, you're probably thinking of the Touareg.

STM317
STM317 HalfDork
1/18/17 2:19 p.m.

In reply to red_stapler:

You are correct! Sorry for the error.

MDJeepGuy
MDJeepGuy Reader
1/19/17 12:42 p.m.
STM317 wrote: In reply to MDJeepGuy: What year was your Durango? Do you remember which engine it had?

2007 with the 5.7 V8.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
1/19/17 1:02 p.m.

Sort of interested in this one:

Lexus GX 470

Probably a lot of dough for the mileage, but seems like a nice ride.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
2/27/17 7:20 a.m.

Still nothing new, but I really think it's time to do something. While replacing the rotted rear diff cover yesterday I noticed the once pristine TX truck I bought 5 years ago is really starting to feel the effects of New England. Also the thing is in desperate need of tires, and the check engine light is on again due to the evap code for the purge solenoid or whatever it's called.

Really don't know what to buy still. The V8 mid sized offerings seem plenty, but they all seem to have high mileage, or are insanely priced, or both.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
3/29/17 10:34 a.m.

So not an SUV, but my close friend at work is planning on buying a new Toyota Tundra in the coming weeks. He currently has a 2010 Tundra double cab 4wd SR5 TRD that he special ordered new in 2009. It has 75k miles on it, and just got back from the body shop due to a snow removal contractor backing the plow truck into the drivers side rear door. He had the body shop clean up the whole thing due to some nicks and scrapes from being a truck you know. He's looking to trade it in, but I expressed interest in it. He's getting trade in values all over the place from the different local Toyota dealers. I'm half tempted to ask him for the average of the trade in offers, and offer him $1k higher, just to make it worth his while as the trade in actually helps him in the sales tax where an out right sale to some shmuck like me only gives him cash. Good idea? I'm not sure my wife wants to drive a truck, but this one is pretty sweet, and is the same color as her Sienna, and should feel familiar as it's from the same family.

alleykat
alleykat Reader
3/30/17 9:53 p.m.
kilgoretrout wrote: What about an Acura MDX? I've driven a lot of SUV's and that was one of the very few that was actually enjoyable. I believe the 2007 and up have a 5k lb capacity.

Just bought a 2007 MDX with 85K miles last summer. The thing is a blast to drive. It is quick and will take a corner way faster than any vehicle this size should. Supposedly has 5000 lb towing capacity. I have not used it to tow yet. It does very well in the snow too.

I cross shopped a used CX9. That was a nice vehicle too and I could have gotten a newer lower mileage for the same price. The towing of the Mazda was only 3500 lb. It drove very nicely too. The towing capacity and a nicer interior swayed me in the direction of the Acura.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
4/7/17 9:55 a.m.

Going to look at this tomorrow morning. Probably over priced, but looks good.

Cherokee Overland

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
4/8/17 7:10 p.m.

Went to look at the 12 Jeep Grand Cherokee today. What an impressive vehicle!! Was in very good shape aside from the engine bay smelled like coolant and the oil level was low. Oil could have been because I had just shut it down and checked the oil. Maybe the oil hadn't fully returned to the pan. Couldn't see any coolant leaks, but could definitely smell it. My Chrysler master tech buddy said that the water pumps on hemis are common leak points. Hopefully I can get said friend to come look at it with me tomorrow. Impressive options on this car with the overland trim level. The luddite in me is scared of all that technology, but the adult in me thinks it would be cool to one time in my life buy the high spec model when I've never done it before. Even if it's 5 years old.

yupididit
yupididit Dork
4/8/17 8:35 p.m.

I know a lot of people with the 2013+ gc and I had one as a rental for over a week. We seriously considered buying one it was that great.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
4/8/17 8:36 p.m.

Are the 13+ better than the 12 I looked at?

STM317
STM317 Dork
4/9/17 6:49 a.m.

In reply to Mazdax605: Not positive about changes between 2012 and 2013, but in 2014, they got the ZF 8 speed trans which people seem to rave about. Fuel economy improved significantly as well.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
V1Sum5wpbkUcSyEzEPnTZYXYG2fByTDun3Eq3dl0ISxNUeaGy8JdZRQHChAaJPjo