1 2
P3PPY
P3PPY Dork
6/4/21 10:39 p.m.

In reply to racerfink :

I stand corrected. 3,414 is what I'm finding though from Motortrend

Revisited the pony and found it's 3,730 for the fastback manual, up to 3,932 for the convertible automatic

Honesty moment - power aside, I have no idea if 300 lbs is noticeable on the track

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
6/4/21 11:57 p.m.

It is an interesting comparison.  If all goes well I start a new job later this month.  After a year or so of training I will have to move to a much smaller town than DFW in various areas of the western US.  I will probably be looking at about a 1 hr commute each way after moving.  Driving my truck daily would be expensive for fuel and maintenance and wear out a truck I plan to have a long time.  I'm really looking at lower mileage used cars that can handle 30-35k miles a year on the road.  These two choices are on my thinking list, but so are an ND, a GTI, a Civic Si, an Accord sport, a Focus ST or Fiesta ST, or the twins .....  and who knows.  I really want something that reliably achieves 30+ mpg on the highway is reliable and fun to drive. 

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
6/5/21 6:03 a.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

The 2018 2.0t my dad had would get 42mpg on the highway.  My 2016 3.6L has a 50 mile avg best of 36.2, in a car that’s run 13.909 @ 100.75mph at Bradenton (knocking off my friends 4.6GT in the process).

If you’re into autocross, the 2.0t is a terror in D Street, and I’ve seen one run a 12.9 at Bradenton.  He had a cold air intake, down pipe, and E-85 tune, and it took a full second off the factory 1/4 time.

miatafan
miatafan New Reader
6/5/21 7:02 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I saw a Coyote in an early Mustang here in central MS, so I know it is possible.  

Not the same car, but it is possible.  

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
6/5/21 7:51 a.m.

As many of you pointed out, I sure did leave out some important information: weight

From the respective media sites for the 2021 models:

• The Mustang (2.3-Liter High Performance Package) comes in at 3730 lbs. with the manual, 3752 lbs. with the automatic.
  • The Camaro comes in at 3627 lbs. with the manual, 3607 lbs. with the automatic.

So the Mustang is a little bit heavier than the Camaro, unless you go with the "base" EcoBoost Mustang, which weighs 3491 lbs. for the manual, 3511 lbs. for the automatic.

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
6/5/21 8:51 a.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

That 3,600# Camaro is the SS with a V8.  The base model 2.0t is approx. 3,350#.  The 2.0t 1LE is around 3,425#.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/5/21 7:33 p.m.
miatafan said:

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I saw a Coyote in an early Mustang here in central MS, so I know it is possible.  

Not the same car, but it is possible.  

And the first thing I notice is the shock towers are gone.

Not insurmountable, but it turns "engine swap" into "chassis fabrication/re-engineering".  An inline four looks pretty good if you don't want to go down that road.

6/5/21 9:51 p.m.
racerfink said:

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

The 2018 2.0t my dad had would get 42mpg on the highway.  My 2016 3.6L has a 50 mile avg best of 36.2, in a car that’s run 13.909 @ 100.75mph at Bradenton (knocking off my friends 4.6GT in the process).

If you’re into autocross, the 2.0t is a terror in D Street, and I’ve seen one run a 12.9 at Bradenton.  He had a cold air intake, down pipe, and E-85 tune, and it took a full second off the factory 1/4 time.

My 3.6L Colorado has a 50 mile best in the high 20s I think but has an average of 19 over its 26000 mile life (mostly in town).  It gets 21 avg highway at 70-75.  A 3.6 Camaro might be high 20s at 70.  I can see that.

foshjowler
foshjowler New Reader
6/6/21 7:08 a.m.
Colin Wood said:

As many of you pointed out, I sure did leave out some important information: weight

• The Mustang (2.3-Liter High Performance Package) comes in at 3730 lbs. with the manual, 3752 lbs. with the automatic.
  • The Camaro comes in at 3627 lbs. with the manual, 3607 lbs. with the automatic.

So the Mustang is a little bit heavier than the Camaro, unless you go with the "base" EcoBoost Mustang, which weighs 3491 lbs. for the manual, 3511 lbs. for the automatic.

I've co-drove a 2019 Camaro 2.0t at a pro-solo autocross and when it was weighed with a full tank of fuel it came in at 3340, and something like 50.5/49.5 weight balance. The Camaro has a significant weight advantage over the Mustang. There's a reason the GM guys won CAM at the autox nationals in a 2.0t Camaro.

6/6/21 8:14 a.m.
foshjowler said:
Colin Wood said:

I've co-drove a 2019 Camaro 2.0t at a pro-solo autocross and when it was weighed with a full tank of fuel it came in at 3340, and something like 50.5/49.5 weight balance. The Camaro has a significant weight advantage over the Mustang. There's a reason the GM guys won CAM at the autox nationals in a 2.0t Camaro.

Yes there is, but I'm sure having the resources of GM available on a daily basis didn't hurt.  Even in autocross budget and resources play a role.  

67LS1
67LS1 New Reader
6/6/21 9:26 a.m.
foshjowler said:
Colin Wood said:

That's pretty light especially with a full tank. Was the car modified in any way, ie lighter wheels, seats, etc.

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
6/6/21 10:29 a.m.

In reply to 67LS1 :

That’s right about where I’d expect a 1LT 2.0t to be.  

foshjowler
foshjowler New Reader
6/7/21 9:00 a.m.
67LS1 said:
foshjowler said:
Colin Wood said:

That's pretty light especially with a full tank. Was the car modified in any way, ie lighter wheels, seats, etc.

Probably heavier than what rolled off the factory. Wheels/tires are 305s all around, upgraded calipers, and a few extra body moldings. Mine is probably a little lighter since I just daily and autox it, and he does track things with his, so needed upgraded brakes and the extra aero helps him. Otherwise they're the same car, just different years. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
42I11rFMf6sRRahvWNnoDLO8cjnT7drKi3tarEqmo94AdqvaCuiL9nfJpyS80IwU