1 2
MrRobogoat (Forum Supporter)
MrRobogoat (Forum Supporter) Reader
1/9/22 9:07 p.m.

For triple squares, I like this kit by Metalnerd. I have and impact rated set from Amazon that provided the impetus for purchasing this other kit by twisting the splines on the M8 bit (always make sure they are /fully/ seated...). I will note that you may be better off purchasing car specific tools in triple square drive: For Mk4 VWs Metalnerd also make a different kit that has three bit specific to the three places triple squares are used on the car (head bolts, driveshaft bolts, and door hardware). The nice thing about these is that the bits are designed to make each job just a bit easier by being the right length.

As for where I buy tools, I'm pretty agnostic / still figuring it out. Trying to buy less stuff from Amazon, but the big box stores don't feel like much of an improvement tbh, so it's either buying cheap (ish) at the Hazard Fart or ordering online direct from the manufacturer. Not to say that Hazard Fraught only makes crap, but there's definitely fewer real bargains there these days. Definitely will give Harry Epstein a go sometime, some of that SK clearance stuff is pretty tempting.

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
1/11/22 10:48 a.m.

I figure if I really plan to rely on a tool I will buy it in store or on the Mfg's website directly. Otherwise I am fine with ordering from Amazon and the key is to really only order what is shipped and sold by Amazon if you want to count on it being most likely the product you wanted. If it is sold by others then triple investigate the listing before buying and even take some screen shots so you can have a chance to get Amazon on your side to fight the seller.

FYI - I used to work for Stanley Black and Decker so I know that they own so many brands that you can order online from any big retailer and in the end you are buying something from them. 

• Dewalt
  • Stanley Hand Tools
  • MacTools
  • Bostich
  • Craftsman
  • Black and Decker
  • Proto
  • Irwin

There was some difficulty selling to both Lowes and Home Depot the same brand name hand tools which is interestingly somewhat divorced from market perception of cordless tools. They don't mind both selling Dewalt cordless but can't stomach selling the same Dewalt rachet. So I think the strategy nowadays is that one gets, lets say Dewalt as the line of basic to premium hand tool and the other gets Craftsman (and/or Stanley) as a line of basic to premium. 

HF is my go to for odd ball stuff that I know I will maybe use rarely or don't need top quality. Think ratchet size adaptors and TorX bit sets for bicycles.

I do recall I think Advance Auto Parts did a trial of offering a full selection of top quality mechanic hand tools, maybe in the early 2000s but it faded. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
01JlbarK3AwhRdsE6v7kfWpORDXqyLtAK58imwfrcRwmbjumfqXz4ffWaAeecLzd