David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/12/20 1:50 p.m.

I'm brainstorming some future content.

If you could ask a wheel expert a wheel question, what would you ask? Basically trying to identify some questions that we could answer together. 

Thanks. 

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/12/20 1:52 p.m.

Why do manufacturers insist on offset when backspacing is a much simpler way to get the numbers i need quickly?

iansane (Forum Supporter)
iansane (Forum Supporter) Reader
8/12/20 1:55 p.m.

Is there any relation to hub bore or lug stud size to overall wheel strength? Is there a reason some manufacturers choose ball seat instead of tapered? How unstable are 2 spoke wheels?

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/12/20 1:58 p.m.

What's wrong with circle track steelies? For street? For autox? 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/12/20 3:57 p.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

Why do manufacturers insist on offset when backspacing is a much simpler way to get the numbers i need quickly?

See, I find offset simpler because that's what I'm familiar with.

iansane (Forum Supporter)
iansane (Forum Supporter) Reader
8/13/20 9:10 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Same.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
8/13/20 9:51 a.m.
iansane (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to z31maniac :

Same.

Also, I think in offset

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
8/13/20 10:00 a.m.

One that's topical for me, what's the best way to determine how lug nuts should seat in a wheel?  I have some older aftermarket rims and bought a more "tapered" nut than stock which seems to fit better, but assumed it should touch all sides of the wheel inset.  Checked the original wheels and original nuts, and they don't fully touch all the sides of the wheel inset, so maybe that's ok.

-Rob

Danny Shields (Forum Supporter)
Danny Shields (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
8/13/20 10:07 a.m.

Do they have a recommended process for straightening a bent cast aluminum wheel?

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
8/13/20 10:08 a.m.

Here is one that has been argued since I can remember.  

The old internet argument that a steel wheel is the same weight as an aluminum one because it takes more aluminum to make a wheel of equal strength.  True?

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
8/13/20 10:25 a.m.

How do they select the colors to offer aftermarket wheels in, and why is purple not one of the standard options? cheeky

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
8/13/20 10:27 a.m.

60 degree taper for street wheels lug nut seat and 45 degree taper for race wheels why both?

Also I think a wheel article should explain the different ways of match mounting tires and balancing wheels. More than once I've had to explain the difference between uniformity tire mounting method (preferred) and weight method to guys that run tire shops. If they don't know, I'm sure many readers don't know either.

Also, the basics of static vs dynamic wheel balancing (including road force) and why in some cases static balancing is preferred.

Wheels are considered consumables for race applications. Are there any methods of determining whether a wheel should be replaced before disaster strikes? Other than the obvious things like cracks, bent, etc.? Obviously a steel wheel could be stripped & magnafluxed but are there any non destructive ways of testing alloys with coatings?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OK3KCPFCGy1VT4DuvtCNVuYzw7Ujta0sZCG2fQtH9PTKL1GhUNh8cJVmJKk7ZcS3