GTXVette
GTXVette HalfDork
5/11/17 9:36 p.m.

That's Funny really 'Cause He's Already in the Middle of the Country.

GTXVette
GTXVette HalfDork
5/12/17 6:10 a.m.

Oh yea btw, I thought the thing was to put Rover V8 and tr8 engines in them? Actually lighter than the 4 cylinder, Just Sayin'

gomer_pitt
gomer_pitt New Reader
5/17/17 2:22 p.m.

i plan on it being a mild build. i dont want to go to nuts. keeping stock motor, looking into independent carbs, headers and exhaust, then lower it a little bit with some 15x7 wheels. i want it to be a car that can drive around town then go to the track on the weekend. im having issues finding parts for it though.

Daeldalus
Daeldalus New Reader
5/21/17 10:01 a.m.

I have been lurking around the forums for a couple of weeks now and I have got to say I like your style around here. It was one reason I decided to join. I haven't decided whether to get a mag subscription yet but I did have one years ago. It came free with my scca membership back then.

Currently working on a e30 m52b28 swap, nearly done with it now.

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
5/23/17 11:29 a.m.

Welcome, Daeldalus! Glad you joined us. Let's see a build thread on that E30!

rustyblade
rustyblade None
5/26/17 11:44 a.m.

Ok... I'm going for it. I'm new here. Been stalking threads for a couple weeks now. Everyone here seems to be a human I could have a beer with. No stranger to doing stupid car/truck crap. Current build is a 240d that, strangely enough, I think used to belong to a member here. It has a OM617 turbo motor in it with a VGT turbo and an air/water intercooler. I have however lifted the thing front and rear, put some 16" wheels on it with BF Goodrich K02's and plan on turning it into a dirt/rally bomber ... That doubles as my DD. Lol I will probably start a build thread. If I'm not too scared. ;)

Looking forward to being part of this group.

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
5/26/17 3:16 p.m.

In reply to rustyblade: C'mon down.... er Up since you LIFTED it. Fear NOT there is Someone here that will Embrace your Build Whatever it is. this just gave me an Idea. there is a moto cross /4 wheeler track Up the Road from Me Just How Smooth does a dirt track need to be for Rally cross? I think I'll go look at it

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
5/26/17 3:24 p.m.

Welcome back, Daeldalus. It's a nice bunch here. And not to put too hard a sell on you, but I hope you'll decide to go for the magazine subscription. That's what supports the forum, and our staff--and it's a pretty darn good magazine, if I say so myself.

Margie

BrokeItAgain
BrokeItAgain New Reader
6/4/17 11:33 a.m.

I guess I am new old stock. Lol member several years ago until I just ran out of time to customize cars and race, and finally have time to do it right. Being given a neon, so took that as a sign.Now for more fun!

Ed Higginbotham
6/5/17 11:23 a.m.

Welcome, BrokeItAgain!

Hope you enjoy it here.

LarsBrunkhorst
LarsBrunkhorst New Reader
6/8/17 10:03 a.m.

Hello guys,

Ive been lurking for awhile now absorbing information and love the feel of site. Will most likely get a build thread up on my montero this weekend. I tore the motor out and am trying to get another back in, but life gets in the way. Hopefully forcing myself to document things will get my butt in gear.

Cheers all!

Ed Higginbotham
6/8/17 10:24 a.m.

Welcome Lars! Agreed that making yourself document stuff and having friends waiting for updates helps you get in gear on projects.

TheHairyFalcon
TheHairyFalcon
6/11/17 12:09 p.m.

Hi, I found GRM because of mazdeuces MB and loved the place so much I have decided to stay! I am 19, I have an ugly but well running 1974 Chevy K10 pickup that is my daily driver and that I am cutting my teeth on. I think I get the car bug from my grandpa who likes to talk about the hot rods and drag cars he built in the 1950s. When I do more work on the truck I'll be sure to post pictures, I may have some questions for the gearheads.

Thanks!

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
6/11/17 12:20 p.m.

In reply to TheHairyFalcon:

That Chevy pickup is a good place to start and welcome to the Forum. Share the grandpa stories here when you get time.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
6/11/17 12:21 p.m.

In reply to TheHairyFalcon:

Welcome Hairy! We would love to see a build thread for your K10

FullCtrl
FullCtrl
6/12/17 7:23 p.m.

Hi, I used to subscribe to GRM a number of years ago, and then somehow my membership lapsed and I kinda forgot. I followed a link here to Mazdeuce's R63 thread (which lead me to the Grosh) and remembered how much I liked reading about those types of projects. I've now renewed my membership for 3 years and looking forward to re-immersing myself.

I've been a bit of a Bimmer-head for a while, finally got an E30 325i a little over 10 years ago and had fun doing light mods. I added a 98 M3 to the stable a couple years later and eventually sold the E30. I drove that for about 6 years before eventually running into perpetual cooling issues (perhaps some correlation to why the forum substitutes a certain curse word with "E36 M3"??) that eventually required I replace the head gasket. (I found 2 head bolts with sheared heads once I opened it up, not unlike the failures Mazdeuce had.) I decided to make a project out of it and pull the engine and transmission and do a few extra little fixes, ya know, cause I was in there. Unfortunately the car hasn't been back in service since then and is still sitting in my driveway. Engine starts right up, but little issues have plagued my inherent procrastination, so it remains an unfinished project.

I got a Mk7 GTI to replace the beater I was driving while working on the M3...but I kept the beater, making us a 4-car household with my wife's E90 335i. My wife eventually fell in love with the GTI and so we traded and I drove the 335i for a little over a year before selling it last month (after replacing turbos, injectors, coils, gaskets, control arms, starter...and not necessarily seeing an end in sight). I replaced it with an 2014 228i M-Sport that I'm currently loving.

Ed Higginbotham
6/13/17 8:43 a.m.

Glad to have you back, FullCtrl!

Full German car household here, too!

buildinwithlegos
buildinwithlegos New Reader
6/13/17 4:39 p.m.

Long time subscriber, short time poster.

Had to get Ed to unlock my account from a while back, thank you Sir.

Dad with 5 kids now all out of the house. DD is a 96 miata that I taught both the 17yo and 19yo to drive stick in. Had them learn on Saturday and then autocross the thing on Sunday. Probably not a better way to bond with your kids than to have them spin off the side of a runway with you both laughing your heads off the whole time. Good times.

Love the vibe and general goodness of everything that goes on here on the forum. Recently moved to Tampa so we will be attending the 200x challenge at least a spectators this year since it is not too far away. Have been to the Mitty for the last 8 years and love everything that GRM/Classic do with that event.

Anyhoo, good to be here.

Ed Higginbotham
6/14/17 8:26 a.m.

Welcome buildinwithlegos! Glad to have you here. Awesome you're coming to the $2017 Challenge. You'll really enjoy it.

MugenReplica
MugenReplica New Reader
6/16/17 8:26 a.m.

Hello, I'm John and live in Central PA. I currently drive a Scion iQ (Yes, I know hwat GRM thinks of it).

I sold both my Ep3s over 2 years ago now as well as my MKIV R32 in order to get something with better mpg, inexpensive to maintain, and easy to work on and the iQ fits the bill for the most part.

Although slow, it seems to have adapted to modifications and I've taken it to the strip to see how it was affected. The best I've done so far was 16.932 @ 84mph, so definitely picked up a little "oomph" from previous.

At this time, although my 1.33ltr lacks torque, I feel that driving a slow car fast is very entertaining and satisfying. I'm hoping to improve the suspension and set up in order to have it handle better as well as lose a little weight. Also getting rid of the CVT would be optimal (no matter what I do including a cooler it likes to heatsoak), parts in the UK and EU used are still not readily available inexpensively. Long term plans are.....unsure. I'm hoping for 150 bhp with a Rotrex (only forced induction available ATM) or a homemade turbo kit (unlikely with 11.5:1 compression port injected). Either way, I want to see how well I can make the chassis handle and I'm really curious what kind of promise a forward facing differential has and an engine located south of the swaybars, differential and shock towers could produce with a little hard work and time.

Example of how diff is located as well and underneath picture.....

http://www.automobilesreview.com/uploads/2008/10/toyota-iq-differential.jpg

http://www.tanabe-usa.com/rnd/image.axd?picture=2012/6/Scion_IQ_Underbrace_10.jpg

Ed Higginbotham
6/20/17 8:38 a.m.

Welcome, MugenReplica! I agree that driving a slow car fast is satisfying. I've had a theory that a car gets more fun as you can use a higher amount of its potential.

Kamil
Kamil None
6/22/17 5:15 a.m.

Hi!! new here from NJ but currently living and working in the EU. got myself a 2000 Renault Clio rs amature rally/track day car here

Ed Higginbotham
6/22/17 11:49 a.m.

That's awesome, Kamil! Welcome to the board. Keep us updated on your adventures.

DeanWerks
DeanWerks New Reader
6/23/17 11:15 a.m.

Good Morning, I've been active once in a while on the LocostUSA and USA7s forums for 5 or 6 years (my user name there has been DeanD3W), but I'm new here. I'm a mechanical engineer (may explain my geeky intro post). I have a Mercedes 190E with a Ford 5.0L and T-5 that I bought from BAT a while back (like 18 months ago) and it still sits waiting for me to get to making the reverse lights work (and change to the stock seats and console that I've found for it) so I can register it in Texas. Next in line to be worked on is the half-built WCM Ultralite S2K that I bought two years ago. After that will be the '59 Autobianchi Bianchina "parts car" (pretty rough) that I bought about 5 years ago, then another few projects. All the slowness/inactivity is due to 5 kids, ages 9-18, and a divorce 3.5 years ago that thankfully seems to have left the kids with me 98% of the time (good for all), moving from the NW to the Austin TX area 4 years ago, and a business to run/start-up over the past 6 years. I remarried almost 2 years ago (very surprising to those who know me, and also for myself) to a super sweetie who is just tolerant enough of my car nuttery. For over 30 years my plan has been to have a car related business, so that's were the "DeanWerks" name comes in. Life has settled down to the point that it's time to dedicate two days a week to working towards what I've always wanted to do. Within this next week, I should have the 190E registered. My daily driver is a '94 XJ Cherokee with 2WD, 5 speed and power nothing. The suspension is rebuilt with all urethane bushings, cut coils in the front and de-arched leaf springs in the back (lowered 1.5" on both ends), and good 245-45-17 tires. Now it handles very well and I can still change the oil and filter without a jack or ramps, and it will carry 5 with a dog in the back. Once I get the front brakes done on the Jeep in the next few days, it's finally time to work on the 190E. The other part of my 30 year wait to get to building car things again was school plus 7.5 years in the Navy Submarine Service and the rest of 20 years of service as a Coast Guard reservist. Sorry for the long intro post. I'll try to keep it more brief in the future.

Ed Higginbotham
6/23/17 3:57 p.m.

Welcome Dean! No need to go out of your way to keep things short. We're glad to have you! Let's see some photos of that 190E!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VHTPa2dBdZwYzjHD4FvOTUqryRjc29JYhAa6HEr1FUCYFcAfBqNbkMkcozF2PzDV