thehoss93
thehoss93 None
10/5/17 8:30 a.m.

Good morning guys, my names Sam.  I've been a lurker for here for some time and decided to make a profile.  I moved here to MD about two years ago for my job as a Lab technician.  I currently own a 2014 Challenger RT but am wanting to pick up a car to learn how work on as I don't know anything about working on cars.  I've loved cars as long as I can remember and love the atmosphere of this forum, its definitely right up my alley. 

Spiritus_Spatium
Spiritus_Spatium New Reader
10/8/17 12:09 p.m.

I am relatively new. I've done some posting but never presented myself. My name is Ricardo, I'm 24. I'm checking in from mighty Mexico City. I pretty much like all cars, from Hyuindai i10 econoboxes to classic muscle and even 90's Mustangs.

I'm not working at the moment, but I am in the process of getting hired by AmEx. No studies, but I'm trying to choose between Indstrial Design (my family has been in the furniture business for decades) or Actuarial Science (seems like a rewarding career and I like statistics a lot).

My dream garage:

Renault R5 Turbo II replica with a cloth sunroof, LS swapped E39, a Caterham or Locost of some sort, some muscle car (maybe an aluminator swaped and supercharged '98 SN95) and an off roader of some sort. Last but not least, a fast-ish bike.

My unatainable dream garage pretty much consists of the Mercedes 300 SL Gullwing and Tucker 48.

That's it :D

Edit: How did I forget? My actual garage consists of a Volvo S40 T4, 5 speed manual. I dreamed about owning one of these. My uncle bought one new in 2003, albeit auto, and it blew the doors off other cars in my family. No one saw it coming. I loved Volvo ever since.

Lately I have also been using my dad's '99 Explorer XLT V8 because my car needs PCV service and a battery. I love that Ex. Sounds awesome.

JARNA
JARNA
10/10/17 12:46 p.m.

Hey fellas,

My name is Mark, I live in Augusta, GA where i work in an office and spend my time and energy trying to become one of you guys by reading forums like this one. I'm 26, happily married for 2 years, and sick and tired of pushing down the urge to let the racing monster get me. So a couple months ago I bought a 1990 (07/89) Miata in Charleston for $1400 to serve as a dedicated track car, although it is registered and insured. I have some experience wrenching on cars but most jobs I undertake on vehicles are my first time doing it. I've been doing some of the smaller/cheaper jobs  on it while I wait for the agreed upon budget to build up for the big ticket items, the first of which will be a roll cage because i'm no racing driver and i don't want to die trying to learn how to be one. Aside from drag racing, Augusta seems to be lacking in the racing community department so my first question to you fine people would be: Does anybody know of a place anywhere near the CSRA (Central Savannah River Area) that builds good race cages? I am looking for a fair price but I am also not willing to skip on safety and I understand that usually more safe = more money so if I have to save for longer, I will. 

My garage also includes:

2014 Mazda 3 i touring - has treated us well and eaten a lot of highway miles. 

2011 Toyota Tacoma Base model 2.7 4 speed auto - recently paid off, can serve as tow vehicle for sweet race car - rear end gear ratio currently 3.42 gonna need at least 4.10, which is apparently a $1500 job unfortunately. 

Sorry for the life story, hopefully nobody has a problem with this post?

P.S. My first Autox event is Nov. 11 at Lanier Raceplex right across the street from Road Atlanta! Pretty stoked for that. 

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
10/10/17 1:22 p.m.

Welcome Sam, Recardo and Mark! Glad to have you all here!

CSmith
CSmith
10/24/17 4:29 p.m.

Hey, I also am new to he forums. I am in high school and think cars are awesome. I went to the event in Florida and it was one of the best weekends of my life. I am looking for a starter car and my dad is Gsmith.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
10/24/17 4:37 p.m.
CSmith said:

Hey, I also am new to he forums. I am in high school and think cars are awesome. I went to the event in Florida and it was one of the best weekends of my life. I am looking for a starter car and my dad is Gsmith.

Welcome! What was your favorite entry?  Start a team for next year!

Ed Higginbotham
10/25/17 9:33 a.m.

In reply to CSmith :

Welcome! Thanks for joining us for the Challenge!

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Reader
11/6/17 6:10 a.m.

Basically new all over again after an extended leave of absence.  Moved from Virginia to Texas, changed careers, and changed the stable of cars (down to car, singular). Was working at a Firestone in Virginia, now I'm selling fords in weatherford Texas. Was driving a lowered e46 328i and a lifted 2000 grand Cherokee, now I'm driving a stock (it's gloriously comfortable) 2006 mazdaspeed6. Anyways figured I'd say hi all over again. Saw lots of stickers and shirts and a bright yellow hat at lone star park at the autox event. Was gonna say hi but didn't know who anyone was. 

Stampie
Stampie SuperDork
11/6/17 7:02 a.m.

Hi Mazdaface. I wasn't there so I don't know who they were either but I've never walked up cold to someone representing GRM and been disappointed. 

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Reader
11/6/17 8:37 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Everyone seemed nice enough but I'm sure everyone knows that your first event you attend can be a bit intimidating. Had I been driving I probably would have been asking questions to the point of annoyance

barefootskater
barefootskater New Reader
11/10/17 10:29 a.m.

Pretty new here, though I've posted a bit.

29, I sell car parts for a living. Married with one kid. We live in southern Utah and the local car scene is also the local vape scene and I always feel a bit out of place at those gatherings. It's nice to have found this place so I can get my daily fix without breathing in second hand vape.

I love all things mechanical. Anything with moving parts fascinates me. So cars and bikes are some of my passions. One day when things are not so busy I'd like to make it to the challenge.

I also love music, and in a former life I was a musician. Realized that life wasn't for me and I'd rather have a family life than a hotel-sleeping-bar-dwelling night life. I still like vans though. Now I just play in my living room and let my boy (16 months) hit the strings. He likes music too.

Ed Higginbotham
11/10/17 11:06 a.m.

Welcome barefootskater! Glad to have you here and we'd love to have you at the challenge. 

What do you play? My dad works in the music industry and used to live the band life. Unfortunately, I didn't inherit the music gene.

barefootskater
barefootskater New Reader
11/10/17 11:46 a.m.

In reply to Ed Higginbotham :

Anything with strings really. I've thinned the heard down to just a few guitars and basses. And a keyboard. Gave up on the trumpet.

delta3835
delta3835
11/15/17 12:27 p.m.

Hey Yall! Just got my first issue of Grassroots a couple nights ago. So here's a bit about myself. 

I'm 24, I've been in the Army Reserves for almost 7 years, I'm a box truck driver for a plumbing supplier and I fill my spare time with as many car events as possible. I've recently decided to work towards racing for a living but I'm at the beginning stages of that whole process. My daily is a 2007 mustang gt convertible making 316 hp at the wheel. I've done 90% of the work myself but I'm not a mechanic by any means. If anyone has any advice on how to race professionally PLEASE fill me in. 

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
11/15/17 1:46 p.m.

yes, Start with a Large pile of MONEY so when you Retire you Might have some left. Welcome anyway, but I warned you.

Ed Higginbotham
11/15/17 2:00 p.m.

In reply to delta3835 :

Welcome and thanks for reading!

Sounds like a cool daily. If you ever have any questions about anything, this is a great place to ask. Also, we've done a couple article on going pro. Here's one. And here's another.

Terrence
Terrence New Reader
11/15/17 3:08 p.m.

In reply to Ed Higginbotham :

Thanks!

In reply to GTXVette:

I actually tried doing a gofundme but it has been less then helpful. The only donation I have so far is $50...from my mom. Lol

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
11/15/17 4:43 p.m.

Work your Butt off and never quit.  ask lot's of questions... 

Terrence
Terrence New Reader
11/15/17 6:06 p.m.

In reply to GTXVette :

I definitely plan to work for it.  I'm already doing what I can. I'm entering a kart racing league starting next year and I do autocross with my daily. 

WillHoonForFood
WillHoonForFood New Reader
11/18/17 6:59 p.m.

Hey everyone, I'm fairly new here. I've worked as an aircraft mechanic and have wrenched on my own vehicles for many years. I like weird vehicles. I'm a bit of a Corvair fanatic and plan on picking one up soon so I can get to wrenching. I also ride a Buell Firebolt XB12R to quench the thirst for speed. I just landed a job as an application engineer in industrial optical metrology (fancy for 3D scanning) and the best part of the job is that I have free range of the equipment after business hours (!!!).

Terrence
Terrence New Reader
11/18/17 8:20 p.m.

In reply to WillHoonForFood :

Sounds like someone will attempt to 3D print car parts in the near future! Lol that sounds like a cool job. 

WillHoonForFood
WillHoonForFood New Reader
11/19/17 1:51 p.m.

In reply to Terrence :

Perhaps! I'd really like to help people recreate hard-to-find parts. One of the bigger plans is to digitize an entire body/chassis, and then use CAD to make modifications like suspension or body mods. Should be fun!

Ed Higginbotham
11/20/17 9:47 a.m.

In reply to WillHoonForFood :

Sounds awesome! And welcome to the forum!

Abarthracing
Abarthracing None
11/20/17 7:13 p.m.

John from AbarthRacing here and I'm new to the forum. The reason I joined is that I'm looking for a spot on a team with either Chump or Lemons car. My racing experience is motocross, Yamaha Enduro karts, auto cross, track days, several performance driving schools and a counter-terrorism driving school (long story but it really helped my performance driving) . I can wrench, fabricate and weld MIG-Arc. Have built several mild hi performance FORD 2-liter motors having shops do all machining and me doing assembly and bolt-on hp such as cams, webers, manifolds, headers, hi-flow oil pumps, etc. I stuck them in a '74 Ford Capri I used to race in the canyons of California when I was younger.  Fabed, bent and welded the 4-point sport roll bar in my Abarth. Have scratch built from plans two aircraft, one with a type 1 VW engine and the other with half of a type 1 VW engine (yep, you can cut the case, crank, heads, etc in half and it'll still run. . . With half of the original hp. . . Which may seem really foolish to car racers but in a light single place aircraft it makes perfect sense! Seriously, before you call BS on me google it! With huge jugs and pistons you can squeeze 45 hp outta one of those suckers).  I'm easy going but competitive, have a good sense of humor (okay. . . Probably shouldn't use my wife as a character reference concerning my sense of humor, she still doesn't get it.) willing to crawl under a car in the dark with a headlamp on and bloody my knuckles to get it back on track. Smooth relaxed driving style (managed to get 9 two-day auto cross events on a mile long course out of a single set of Pirelli P Zeros winning class in eight of those events. . . Granted tires looked like slicks by the end of the season, but they were still sticking). As a team driver my worst nightmare would be to bend or break the car before all of the team had their stint behind the wheel. I understand that you have to finish to win and sometimes just finishing is an accomplishment. As a pilot I know not to push a bad situation or overwork the airframe. The object is to finish the flight safely and that makes good sense in endurance racing too. The other thing I've learned from building and flying my own aircraft is attention to detail and importance of maintenance. I think I would be a positive and valuable resource for any team. I'm looking to start the 2018 season. I've considered building a car but don't have any friends in Naples that either aren't interested in racing or can't afford it. Having built two planes and several boats I know there is a difference between being a builder and a flier, sailor or racer. I'm at a point where I want to be a racer. Repairing and maintaining an existing car is one thing but building a car from a tub right now isn't what I'm looking for. I want seat time on a track! If you are a car owner looking for an additional driver please consider me and contact me here.

Ed Higginbotham
11/21/17 8:23 a.m.

Welcome John! 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
s7g5OImJ1dpZkIipTlTKxMYakYbEsOPMigeuZ5LZPxrZoU2bAwgAYGL3GQOmr4f1