Sh00bs
Sh00bs
5/8/19 1:04 p.m.

sup guys. new here, gotta '85 Rx7 i just put an F20c in from my buddies wrecked '00 S2000. after 4 doritos in her, i was ready for a change. running haltech platinum, im planning to autoX and road race it. just a little more left before she's on the road with the new powerplant.

Also have a '91 gtr pretty well built - this one mostly done by the p/o. built bottom end, r33 5spd, hks cams, greddy fmic, PT6266 (just did the single swap), full 3.5" exhuast to 3" muffler. haltech platinum pro, 1050injectors, ams1000 unit. dyno'd 565 whp :) it's fun, but not for racing.. not on a track at least. backroad warrior and take her to car shows.

also also have a 1930 model a tudor sedan im slowly building into a ratrod. early stages still, got a U weld z frame kit from texas speed works, leaning towards a 1jz with a larger single.

unfortuantly im into bikes too.... everything but cruisers really. totalled a 600 about 8 years ago so i stay away from the fast stuff now besides just flipping (i do a lot of buy/sell). at the moment i have a '98 ktm 300 (2stroke) exc dual sport, '03 ktm 525sx supermoto 6spd converted, '78 honda hobbit heavily modded - 70cc bbk, water cooled, forged crank, hpi, straight cut race gears, frame mod with tank top, fairing, disc brake full front end w/ebr shocks... etc, the list goes on lol top speed i've gps'd is 71 so far!!
uhh, just picked up a '67 BSA A65 thunderbolt roller... unsure what im going to do with it, probably just to flip. uhhh building a dirt ped atm with a 07 tomos arrow and A52 kicker with a 72 kit. oh and i have a near museam quality '65 yamaha U5-D (yamaha's version of the honda cub) with 1200 miles.
'83 honda aero 50 upjetted w/a pipe, '84 honda aero 125 with a vm22 running a 195main, 12g rollers and a custom pipe. she does 65 :D
a couple of other mopeds im flipping atm and i usually have a mini bike or pit bike like klx110's floating around to ride that i pick up for a deal until i sell em. dont make enough at the day job so the side money helps. ive done 2 fd's recently too, a '94 chaste white touring and a '93 red R1. would have liked to keep em but you cant keep everything and the profit was too good.
daily a '91 s10 rwd with the 2.5l and a 5spd, gets 26/27 mpg so that's cool and i also have a '93 samurai with the efi 1.3L and sitting on 29's. tooooo many toys, i need more time in the day. couple pics of some of the junk
glad to be here!

Underpowered
Underpowered
5/16/19 12:38 p.m.

FNG here.  lurked a few times,  just now joined up.  

anyway...my car which is what i am sure you are more concerned with.   1978 Impala Wagon.  cammed LQ4 with a T56 now reside comfortably where the original drivetrain was.

Shadeux
Shadeux
5/19/19 5:56 p.m.

Hi... < waves>

I've been lurking for about three years. Just bought a 1995 Miata as a toy. We have a 2010 Wrangler manual soft top and a 2016 Corvette Z-51 manual. Now the manual Miata. It's a running joke with my wife that we own the pointy ends of car ownership.  I've been car-obsessed since I was 4 years old. Glad to be here!

johnlumer20
johnlumer20
5/19/19 11:15 p.m.

I am new in this community.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
5/22/19 6:09 a.m.
johnlumer20 said:

I am new in this community.

and "I" just canoed the ikea chair page.  for shame

DieselkW
DieselkW
5/24/19 5:06 a.m.

Good morning guys.

I signed up because I read (as a lurker) a rant about a car salesman's woes with customers and the process of lying.

My rant is different. It's got to do with the shady practice by car dealerships that pay salesmen a percentage of profit, but there's no way to know what the car cost the dealership. 

This is not a hobby for me, and I can't believe, as a new salesman, that I can't verify the ACTUAL profit on every sale.

I'm brand new at this and already I've seen two people quit. Turnover much?

I do not know the actual real accounting cost of the vehicle, new or used. Since my compensation is based on profit, is it too much to ask for these costs to be transparent?

I want to see the invoices. Not the B.S. invoice we might let the buyer "find" so we can say: "See, you're getting this car below invoice". I want to see the real invoice. You don't stay in business selling your product for less than it costs. PERIOD.

On the used side, I KNOW the trade in value, I took it in, but when my profit statement is nowhere near what I expected it to be, I'm left to wonder what costs got added since it went into service? OK, why not attach the service invoice? Do they expect me to believe the used sales department pays service the same hourly rate that customers pay for service? I get a reduced labor rate and parts price just for being an employee. They'd like me to think the sales department has to pay the same rates the car owners pay?

The amount of deception is staggering. "Trust but Verify" said Ronald Reagan. How am I supposed to trust with no verification for the numbers they seem to be pulling out of thin air? Just roll over and ask for more? The career guys shrug and say: "That's how it is". The dealership is not ashamed to add "Pack" as well as take the lion's share of the profit.

Now all that paperwork I signed waiving my right to a judge in favor of arbitration is beginning to make more sense. (It was signed as a "condition of employment")

Is this pervasive throughout the industry?

mjrj
mjrj New Reader
5/27/19 12:11 a.m.

Hi.  My name is Mike and I work in the fleet department of an ambulance company.

I found the magazine a little under 19 years ago in a Tower Records store in Dublin California.  Had no idea there was a forum until I found one of the driveabeater threads.  I think I found that doing a search for GM TBI stuff for my 1994 gmc C1500.

I have a few vehicles.

The 1994 GMC C1500 splits time with a beater 1990 Honda Civic Si for commuting.  1994 Impala SS spends most of its time in a garage.  Then there is the Oldsmobile.  A 1977 Delta 88 indy pace car.  Warmed over 403 Olds and swapped to a Tremec 5 speed transmission.  It's also got some global west/BMR/Herb Adams suspension parts as well on it.

Liam
Liam
6/3/19 12:41 a.m.

For me, this is all new, choosing my first serious car for off-road racing. I do not want to participate in competitions, it will be just for me. I will have many questions and problems. I hope you will help me in this matter.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
6/3/19 3:08 a.m.

In reply to Liam :

make sure to take your canoe with you, and don't let the paddle hit you on the way out

infinitenexus
infinitenexus
6/3/19 8:54 a.m.

New forum member, been a fan of the magazine since around 1999.  I've always wanted to do the 20XX challenge, hopefully in 2020 I'll finally be able to.  SWMBO and I are saving our pennies so we can move out of Baltimore, the murder capital of America, and down to Tampa Bay, FL near my family.  I've convinced her that us buying and building an SN95 mustang for the $2020 challenge would be cheaper and easier than modding my 2012 Mustang GT, and I think I can use that to get her into autocrossing as well.  Double good.

slowbird
slowbird New Reader
6/5/19 8:11 p.m.

hey is this thing on? *taps microphone* oh ah whoops, hello there. I like crappy Fords and other such crapmobiles. Here's my fleet of crap:

greenfieldhippi
greenfieldhippi New Reader
6/7/19 11:45 p.m.

Just joined a few days back I'm just getting into rally racing and if anyone knows of a place to find a cheap rally car (or a good canidate) please let me know I'm in the market! 

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf New Reader
6/9/19 10:15 a.m.

Since you asked . . . I’m new to this site, just registered and posted a question. Last I was aware of Grassroots was when I was autoXing in the early 80s (1980s not 1880s). I came across the site while checking out things of a dirt oval nature.

I’m not new to racing, but most of my racing experience (building and driving) has been road course related. In the early 80s I autoX’d a MGB with the Guldstrand Racing Association. Later in the 80s I drove a couple ITB Pintos in the SoPac Division. In the 90s I drove an H-Prod Fiat 850 in the SoPac Division. Was invited to the Runoffs 4 years in a row – went twice. I’ve also done some off-road in Class 11 (Stock Bug).

6/13/19 9:11 p.m.

I'm new, just signed up.  Glad to be here.

TXratti
TXratti New Reader
6/17/19 1:42 p.m.

New here, glad to be here and not on Facebook!

I mainly compete nationally as a Stage Rally navigator, but work on my own cars in my spare time. My main project is a 1989 Merkur XR4Ti that has seen a (not so) slow transition to racecar, now with a back-half cage, coilovers up front, all new polyurethane bushings at every suspension point, and some light motor work (I've been focused on the chassis). Hoping to get it to a point where I can just drive it for a bit, been doing a lot of autocross, but looking to do more HDPE with a look towards some TT competition at some point. I'm sure I'll start a build thread with a bit more details on the XR, for now I'll just say hello.

Grassroots Motorsports is one of the few magazines I can pick up and read cover to cover, the content is great and interesting. Great value for money.

bowtied
bowtied None
6/17/19 4:56 p.m.

Hey there folks, just joined today.  Another great opportunity  to soak up car limitless car info.   Have been a car guy all my life, especially old cars.  Happy to have found another great resource.  

NoviceClass
NoviceClass None
6/18/19 12:11 a.m.

Another new guy.

Got into track days couple of years ago, eventually wanted a track day car. As you might guess, Miata was the answer. Turns out most any track related Miata Google search eventually leads to threads here....sooooo.

Love the project threads, and cars for sale. Hope to maybe do a Gambler500 or a GRM challenge someday, but I'll see how that goes.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
6/20/19 3:03 p.m.
TXratti said:

New here, glad to be here and not on Facebook!

I mainly compete nationally as a Stage Rally navigator, but work on my own cars in my spare time. My main project is a 1989 Merkur XR4Ti that has seen a (not so) slow transition to racecar, now with a back-half cage, coilovers up front, all new polyurethane bushings at every suspension point, and some light motor work (I've been focused on the chassis). Hoping to get it to a point where I can just drive it for a bit, been doing a lot of autocross, but looking to do more HDPE with a look towards some TT competition at some point. I'm sure I'll start a build thread with a bit more details on the XR, for now I'll just say hello.

Grassroots Motorsports is one of the few magazines I can pick up and read cover to cover, the content is great and interesting. Great value for money.

I love the merkur. Really want to own one with the dual wing

orpheusnyc
orpheusnyc None
6/24/19 3:22 p.m.

Hey I'm a new guy.

I grew up around cars because my dad was an amateur drag racer in the 60s and 70s, then got into restoring classic cars and building race engines at a local shop. Learning to drive stick on a Roadrunner with a bored out Hemi is a harrowing experience when you're 17.  I've always loved and followed car culture, but could rarely engage in it in any kind of hands on fashion because money is a thing that exists (apparently, but I've only heard about it). Now I'm in my 30s, teaching music in NYC, and finally took ownership of my first real "enthusiast" car in the form of a 2015 GTI. I just did my first autocross last weekend and have my sights set on making up for the lost time. I'm also a giant Star Wars nerd, which probably didn't need to be said.

robertauclair
robertauclair New Reader
7/5/19 10:24 a.m.

I was finally compelled to register so I could comment on the Datsun 240Z article. I'm a big guy who likes tiny cars. 

robertauclair
robertauclair New Reader
7/5/19 10:25 a.m.

In reply to robertauclair :

Skatulaki
Skatulaki None
7/5/19 1:42 p.m.

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

I'm Skatulaki, a greek word that means littleE36M3,  I'm from Florida and I work in road construction, namely Striping, ( I paint the lines in the road).

I've always wanted to rebuild cars but never really had much opportunity until recently. 

I bought a 2002 Dale Earnhardt Edition Monte Carlo for cheap, and have been slowly getting it back together. I also belong to the Monte Carlo forum where I have a detailed post and pictures of my project. I may later incorporate them here.

I hope some new friends and contacts!

Skatulaki
Skatulaki New Reader
7/5/19 1:45 p.m.

oops I'm new here I dont think either post went to the right place, I hope this can be corrected.

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 New Reader
7/7/19 11:31 p.m.

hey everyone. i am new here. competing in the $2000 challenge this year with a 92 mustang notchback i got cheap. i also have another 92 coupe that i have swapped just about all the parts over from an 03 cobra. its my rized posession at the moment. big into cars and wrenching on things. currently looking for a good challenge car for my wife at the moment. might go grab an svt focus i found cheap, or maybe a miata. i personally want to find an LSC mark viii but we will see. any way i have attached pics below and here is a link to my youtube for anyone interested. thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW1oW9XMLlcOY28etgoK0Pg

slowbird
slowbird Reader
7/7/19 11:32 p.m.

Dude, Mark VIII would be a sweet challenge car. Good luck in your search, I see some for sale cheap every now and then.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
woG4Ma2WbSO7uWntcR20DrIMXHFflaHbsQN5FXko5GUrtmKDsVe82ABjLnjNv5CO