1 2 3
alfadriver
alfadriver UberDork
5/25/12 9:06 a.m.

Seriously wondering.

So far, we have a friend of a poster. For all of the threads, one would expect a bunch of people who are going to the dealers and putting down money.

Javelin
Javelin UltimaDork
5/25/12 9:10 a.m.

Really? We talk about the Mustang all the time and you never ask who bought those. Or the FIAT 500.

Sour grapes?

alfadriver
alfadriver UberDork
5/25/12 9:19 a.m.
Javelin wrote: Really? We talk about the Mustang all the time and you never ask who bought those. Or the FIAT 500. Sour grapes?

Well, the Mustang sells in big numbers, in spite of it's faults and whatnot. The Fiat is totally going to image to get big numbers. And there are posters here who have bought new Mustangs- haven't seen too many 500's.

This one- with all the talk, and the fact that it's basically appeals to a very narrow band of buyers, who should be represented here, who are they? This car, by far, is got to be the most anticipated brand new car on the car chat boards.

We've now got a 5 page thread started when a friend of a poster got one. Who is going to be the first on their block?

How that is sour grapes is beyond me. I think it would be sad that Toyota and Subaru spent all this time and money so that they can see all of the 10's of posters stop by and get a car.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UberDork
5/25/12 9:22 a.m.

I'd do it if I had the money, but I don't, so I'll have to wait for some sucker to drive it around for a year or two and knock half the value off

Also doesn't NOHOME have a preorder?

Keep in mind that in my location this thing is going to cost as much as a new Elise does in the US initially. If I could get it for US-like prices I'd probably have a preorder myself.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox SuperDork
5/25/12 9:27 a.m.

I don't think any two door car is going to sell unless you get the young administrative assistants and receptionists into them. I am not sure this car is going to get them out of their Accord coupes and V6 Mustangs.

jrw1621
jrw1621 PowerDork
5/25/12 9:31 a.m.

Due to the nature of the community around here, I suspect that many, like myself, have the car on our radar for purchase in 5-7 years.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UberDork
5/25/12 9:35 a.m.

Yeah the fact that I'd even think about buying one of these new is a glowing endorsement.

Winston
Winston Reader
5/25/12 9:36 a.m.

If the FR-S/BRZ was being sold with a twin clutch gearbox, I would be speaking seriously to the wife about heading to the dealer this weekend. I just can't stomach 2 hours a day in gridlock with a manual transmission anymore

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
5/25/12 9:40 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver:

Man what do you have against the BRZ/ FR-S?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UberDork
5/25/12 9:40 a.m.

All the reviews say good things about the manually shiftable auto, but the taller gearing will make it non-competitive and make it feel like a dump truck going up hills. A lower diff might be an easy fix for that.

Winston
Winston Reader
5/25/12 9:48 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: All the reviews say good things about the manually shiftable auto, but the taller gearing will make it non-competitive and make it feel like a dump truck going up hills. A lower diff might be an easy fix for that.

I can't in good conscience buy a sportscar/driver's car with an auto. I already have an auto trans that's letting down a sweet powerplant ('06 Subaru Baja turbo). However, maybe I'm passing judgment too soon based on the decent-but-not-great shiftable autos that I've driven (Mini Cooper, my Baja).

Cotton
Cotton Dork
5/25/12 9:51 a.m.

I'm with alfa on this one. For YEARS a lot of people on this forum have been begging for a small 4 cylinder sports car. GM brought out the Cobalt SS and Solstice/Sky and a few forum members bought them (me being one), the Genesis came out and I don't think anyone bought one even though there was tons of talk. There were several good 6 cylinder offerings like the 370 and the Mustang. When the FRS/BRZ rumors started the forum basically exploded and I honestly thought quite a few people would go get one, but so far only one has put his order in. I think a lot of people want to talk about this ideal car in their head they would buy in a heartbeat, but the reality is most people have a hard time throwing the cash down for a new niche sports car.....so instead they complain about the cars and make excuses as to why they won't buy them, then usually bash the manufacturer in the process.

I'll admit, I really like the Toyota, but I'm in the camp of wanting forced induction eventually....that is my preference....even then I would not buy new. We've bought a couple of new 4cyl turbos and the next new purchase will be something different. I've had several NA Toyotas, including MR2s, Supras, and a GTS Celica, but the MKIV Supra I had was the last straw. From the day I bought it I wished I had saved a little more and got the TT. After years of owning NA and turbo sports cars I'm a pretty firm believer that boost makes everything better.

alfadriver
alfadriver UberDork
5/25/12 9:52 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: In reply to alfadriver: Man what do you have against the BRZ/ FR-S?

Nothing.

I'm not the one posting various mods that need to happen. I'm not the one posting that "I'll get one in 6 years" I'm not demanding that the car have AWD. I'm not the one posting "this would be a great car, BUT..."

You haven't figured out that I'm not insulting the car, I'm insulting this board. This board posts so much about how great this car will be, and it appears that nobody is going to put their money where their keyboard is.

I never had an intention to buy the car, but it's irksome that so many put demands on Subaru and Toyota, and when they put out some seriously great goods for posters of THIS BOARD- nobody is reaching for their pocketbook.

And that's also why i think it needed to look better, since image buyers are easier to find than driver. But, IMHO, Toyota and Subaru delivered the goods, stop posting and go buy it.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UberDork
5/25/12 9:55 a.m.

I agree it needed to look better, it's really too bad they blanded it up from the FR-S 2 concept. I care a lot less about looks than most people but I'd probably slap the TRD body kit and some aftermarket taillights on it, on top of different rims (but that's for track performance). Still, it's not painful to look at which is better than most new cars, I think it's at least on par with the other new sports coupes.

EvanB
EvanB UberDork
5/25/12 9:57 a.m.

And a lot of people on this board don't buy new cars.

I really like the FRS/BRZ, I'm not going to buy one since I can't afford it. That doesn't mean I can't say what I want it to be like if I have the chance to buy a used one in a few years.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
5/25/12 9:59 a.m.
alfadriver wrote:
93EXCivic wrote: In reply to alfadriver: Man what do you have against the BRZ/ FR-S?
Nothing. I'm not the one posting various mods that need to happen. I'm not the one posting that "I'll get one in 6 years" I'm not demanding that the car have AWD. I'm not the one posting "this would be a great car, BUT..." You haven't figured out that I'm not insulting the car, I'm insulting this board. This board posts so much about how great this car will be, and it appears that nobody is going to put their money where their keyboard is. I never had an intention to buy the car, but it's irksome that so many put demands on Subaru and Toyota, and when they put out some seriously great goods for posters of THIS BOARD- nobody is reaching for their pocketbook. And that's also why i think it needed to look better, since image buyers are easier to find than driver. But, IMHO, Toyota and Subaru delivered the goods, stop posting and go buy it.

I think the BRZ/ FR-S is as perfect as a car that you can get right now off the showroom floor (but I would still want to add a few mods (aka exhaust and better tires)) short of a few cars that cost over $50k. I just don't have the money to buy one right now. In a couple years I want to put my money where my mouth is but right now I have more important things to spend my money on.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Reader
5/25/12 10:00 a.m.

I would have bought one if I had one less kid. Did some thinking and decided that I'd rather have a Mazda2 that I could drive every day with the kids instead of a FRS that I could only drive on weekends. My wife even gave me permission to pre-order one if I wanted.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
5/25/12 10:01 a.m.

Alright i'll man up and say it:

1) I want it
2) I can't afford it (Well i can, but i'm not going to do it at this point in my life)
3) I don't want it bad enough for a new car payment.

I applaud Subuyota for bringing this thing out, and i'm mightily impressed, but i never really asked for it in the first place (I was perfectly comfortable thinking that Toyota sucked bad in all ways today), and i'm addicted to boost at the moment.

That said, this car IS the only car i could afford that i would actually be HAPPY about buying if i had to buy a new car today.

And assuming it stays around for more than 3 years, i will likely own one of each variety. (I like the Scion, she likes the BRZ.)

alfadriver
alfadriver UberDork
5/25/12 10:01 a.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic:

All I can say is that you should forgive the auto industry from ignoring you.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
5/25/12 10:03 a.m.

I was really impressed by the BRZ when I saw it in person. Pictures don't do it justice.

But very few people here buy new cars. I haven't spent more than $3500 on a car in a very long time. So it's unlikely you'll see great numbers of BRZ/FRS owners here until they've been out for a few years.

dj06482
dj06482 HalfDork
5/25/12 10:05 a.m.

It's on my radar, for sure. We're buying a new house within a month, so that's my first priority. I'm not planning to buy any car (new or used) in the near-term, but when I'm ready I will likely end up in a BRZ or FR-S. I commute 20k plus miles per year, so used will likely make the most sense for me.

If I was single or even married without kids, I would have one on pre-order. Married with three kids, however, my priorities are different and I have to be patient. It's tough sometimes, but it'll be worth it!

NOHOME
NOHOME HalfDork
5/25/12 10:06 a.m.

Yeah, I am waiting for mine.

To be honest, I think that the deographic on this board is wrong for this car. "Grassroots" has certain financial conotations that would preclude most of the posters from buying this car as a new vehicle. Things like depreciation and interest payments. That makes you smart people.

Besides, for many here, the whole point is to play with the car and modify it to reflect personal taste; who has the balls, bride and wallet to get away with that on a brand-new car still under warranty?

The car IS a well executed and beautiful handling rear drive platform. That alone has value for a large portion of gearheads. Give it a few years and if the car has the mechanical staying power, it will be adopted by the community of motorheads. If not, it will be another Del Sol in the history books.

Any bets as to when the first one shows up for the Challenge?

scardeal
scardeal Dork
5/25/12 10:09 a.m.

Since my Z died, I'll probably be looking at replacing it with something else next year.

It will be one thing I look at. I just worry that it's too similar to my RX-8 to bother with the extra cash layout.

Winston
Winston Reader
5/25/12 10:17 a.m.
alfadriver wrote:
You haven't figured out that I'm not insulting the car, I'm insulting this board. This board posts so much about how great this car will be, and it appears that nobody is going to put their money where their keyboard is.

That's because the majority of the folks on this board are broke-ass motherberkeleyers.

I'm not (most of the time), and I would be putting my money where my mouth is had they followed through with the original intention to offer a twin-clutch gearbox.

EDIT: Well, that was a little harsh and inaccurate. There are many users that aren't broke -- they are just tightwads

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UberDork
5/25/12 10:20 a.m.
Winston wrote: That's because the majority of the folks on this board are broke-ass motherberkeleyers.

Yeah that's a big part of it. The FR-S' US MSRP is more than my cars put together, plus all the mods I've put on them, plus all the tires I've gone through with them.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qhnjVx2F6M7FzcgWB5f7DpydPciVjmpHUHZPX8bp1GI4Abltz29uZwuf8TMyNuYL