1 2 3
ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
11/6/18 8:16 p.m.

We can leave Rangers destined for fleet use out of the equation.

Who makes cars that are relatively common with the fewest options/doodads? Manual transmission, roll up windows etc.

And whats the best way to find them? 

(I feel like I’ve asked this before)

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
11/6/18 8:17 p.m.

Mitsubishi mirage. Done. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/6/18 8:23 p.m.

Lada.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
11/6/18 8:25 p.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

Craigslist shows zero anywhere near me...

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/6/18 8:29 p.m.

Low option Corollas. 

Basic model Versa of about 2009 had AC as an option. Crank windows and radio was an option. 

The entry models of Kia/Hyundai are often crank window and AC optional. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/6/18 8:31 p.m.

When you say, "find them", if you mean used just open you favorite CL city and then with the filters on the left of page choose:

• Sales by Owner
  • Put in a price range
  • Choose manual trans only

See what comes up. 

No Time
No Time Dork
11/6/18 8:44 p.m.

Kia Rio:

Rio with Manual trans and crank windows

There are  quite a few of these on CL with prices ranging from $1k and up with your choice of auto or manual trans. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/6/18 8:45 p.m.

How about a well maintained Toyota Echo?

Sold by a guy who has another Echo in the background... 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
11/6/18 8:47 p.m.

Time machine to the 1970s and ticket to Europe?  le sigh. crying

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
11/6/18 8:50 p.m.

I’m kinda hoping the manual transmission “option” is the gateway into fewer options

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
11/6/18 8:53 p.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

I was going to accuse you of cheating but he never mentioned that they had to be good cars so you get a pass.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
11/6/18 8:55 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I was just looking at Echo’s. I’ll have to check into the long term reviews. This is a car I want to take EVERYWHERE 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/6/18 8:55 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

Mitsubishi mirage. Done. 

Close second, Nissan versa note. 

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
11/6/18 8:57 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I can’t take the looks of the Versa. The others you mentioned are on the list 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/6/18 9:04 p.m.

The Echo came first but it is the mechanical basis and same drivetrain as the original Scion xB and xA. Great 1.5L.

Nothing fancy. Nary a do-dad to be found. 

Super reliable and efficient. Via Scion there are even some mods available to make it sort of sporty. 

Echo as GRM Challenge car

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
11/6/18 9:06 p.m.

Low-option Corolla. Possibly some low-end minivan?

parker
parker Reader
11/6/18 9:15 p.m.

I had a Versa rental car once.  It was as if it was designed to make people hate driving and embrace autonomous cars.  Maybe it wouldn't have been so bad if it had been a manual.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette SuperDork
11/6/18 9:31 p.m.

Mazda 2 sport

stanger_missle
stanger_missle SuperDork
11/6/18 9:55 p.m.

Are all trucks forbidden? I was going to say a 4cyl Tacoma 2wd.

freetors
freetors Reader
11/6/18 10:07 p.m.

Out of all the things listed so far, the Mazda 2 seems the least penalty-boxish to me. I mean seriously, I have no problems with no frills cars, but those cars also leave a lot to be desired when it comes to things like ergonomic comfort, wind and road noise abatement, and steering/throttle/brake feel. Basically the entire human interface is terrible on every ultra cheap car I've ever been in. Sure you can save money and have a car with a simple and easy long life, but you are the one paying for it.

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
11/6/18 10:38 p.m.

A Lotus Seven?  

Jeep Wrangler?

or maybe you can accept that power windows are a pretty proven technology that can be lighter and less likely to fail compared to cheaply made manual window solutions.

Same with automatics, they just work as long as you take care of them and when they die, repair/rebuild them or replace the car (depending on the cost of the car itself).

That said, nearly anything made by Geo or Suzuki would likely fit your desire.  Daihatsu perhaps?  A Yugo, certainly.

Antihero
Antihero Dork
11/6/18 11:09 p.m.

My 00 explorer has power nothing, crank windows, manual locks, not even cruise control

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
11/6/18 11:13 p.m.
ebonyandivory said:

In reply to John Welsh :

I was just looking at Echo’s. I’ll have to check into the long term reviews. This is a car I want to take EVERYWHERE 

I keep hearing them

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
11/7/18 2:18 a.m.
stanger_missle said:

Are all trucks forbidden? I was going to say a 4cyl Tacoma 2wd.

Not forbidden but in my own mind, when I write or say “car” I mean car. It’s a pet peeve of mine when someone says “I brought my car in for brake work” and they’re referring to their Yukon or Pickup or Explorer.

If I didn’t have a big family, I’d have just the truck you mentioned or maybe another Ranger. Mine was an ‘88 with vinyl floors, bench seat, manual everything and the 2.0, not even the “upscale” 2.3! I miss that truck! 

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
11/7/18 2:21 a.m.
mad_machine said:
ebonyandivory said:

In reply to John Welsh :

I keep hearing them

Can you say that again?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rR1sI6FVIStbMiKaDNGaqkWEhNcAIiIYlKLElPcrDkMbvODbzn6GRXounD3Ue6eo