1 2
BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim PowerDork
5/31/14 5:23 p.m.

... and can tell my why I shouldn't go look at this one (and what to look for if I do go look at it):

http://reno.craigslist.org/cto/4442288341.html

Advertised as a 1979 Lynx.

gjz30075
gjz30075 Reader
5/31/14 5:58 p.m.

Cool! Going vintage racing? Autocross?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
5/31/14 6:09 p.m.

Whoa, it sure looks good!

bentwrench
bentwrench Reader
5/31/14 6:29 p.m.

That looks like a really old build, it might still be legal but may not be competitive. That class is very restricted, and even the smallest advantage must be capitalized on to remain competitive. I have a friend that may still be building those motors and can make one sing. I know some of his tricks but I am sworn to secrecy. You will not beat one of his motors. PM me for contact info.

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
5/31/14 7:16 p.m.

SCCA vees are crazy. A good motor is like $8000, intake manifolds are a grand, setup is done with a dial caliper and has to perfect along w/ your driving to have a prayer of running at the front. They consume tires as quickly as anything, and still require all the maintenance of any 1960s carb'd car that was made to go a whole lot slower.

They don't have a run group for them and the F500/F600s anymore in our regional series so they're in w/ the Formula F/Continental/Enterprises/Mazda/P2/P1 cars.

Here's a race video from on board a vee. I'm in the white #51 P2 that comes by at 9:47 being pursued by a faster P1 car.

Vee @ MARRS 1 - Summit Point

Woody
Woody MegaDork
5/31/14 7:57 p.m.

I really, really, really, really, really want an old Formula car...

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
5/31/14 8:47 p.m.

There's a big group of them in our vintage club and they are one of the most fun groups. They don't take it near as seriously as the SCCA folks, which is why they have so much fun and costs seem low. However, some of the vintage clubs throw them in with small bore production cars, which seems scary to me. So YMMV. I've heard that parts for the motors are getting scarce and therefore expensive.

Type Q
Type Q Dork
6/1/14 1:52 a.m.

That particular car looks like a fun way to go vintage racing.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim PowerDork
6/1/14 12:13 p.m.

In reply to motomoron:

After you posted that I started looking into drivetrain prices and was a little surprised that something like an SRF seems to have lower costs for some consumables like engines. I'm beginning to think a Formula Vee might not be such a smart idea after all and while it should be possible to convert this one to a Formula First, it means that it would be even more of a project than it already is (this particular car hasn't seen a track for almost eight years) and I'd end up with a mongrel that's not really that useful for anything.

The original idea was to use it for time trials with the local SCCA chapter and maybe some vintage racing, but most of the closer VARA events (car has a VARA logbook) seem to be in SoCal.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim PowerDork
6/1/14 12:14 p.m.

In reply to Type Q:

That was part of the idea.

In reply to Basil Exposition:

Yes, I've heard/read the same thing about the parts situation (which is why in Europe, you can use later parts) and I believe that's what spawned Formula First. Converting the car would be fairly expensive, though.

grafmiata
grafmiata SuperDork
6/1/14 12:59 p.m.

For what you want to do with the car, it may ultimately be less expensive to get an older Formula Ford. Auto-x, vintage and regional races as Club-Ford.

However, the Kent engine is facing the same issues as FV, as far as parts availability, hence the Honda Fit engine now being legal.

Right now is probably not a good time to be looking for an "inexpensive-to-run" formula car.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
6/1/14 1:09 p.m.

@BoxheadTim, Wanna go splitsies?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim PowerDork
6/1/14 1:34 p.m.

In reply to Maroon92:

If you're serious, I might well consider that .

fiesta54
fiesta54 New Reader
6/1/14 4:12 p.m.

I don't believe this car is vintage legal, at least not in the group I contacted. I was told 1975 was the cutoff, as this is when there were some significant rule changes (no more fan, zero roll suspension)

ryanty22
ryanty22 HalfDork
6/1/14 4:21 p.m.

That formula is cool

Woody
Woody MegaDork
6/1/14 7:18 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim:

Timo,

You've got mail.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
6/1/14 7:24 p.m.

Will a subi boxer fit between the transaxle and tub? Sounds like a dangerously fun hillclimber.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
6/1/14 8:05 p.m.

Roller, $1000 obo

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62611&highlight=ohio

bludroptop
bludroptop SuperDork
6/2/14 8:16 a.m.

I have much love for air-cooled VWs so I would love to have one to tinker with.

I have never seen one with hubcaps, however.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
6/2/14 11:53 a.m.
fiesta54 wrote: I don't believe this car is vintage legal, at least not in the group I contacted. I was told 1975 was the cutoff, as this is when there were some significant rule changes (no more fan, zero roll suspension)

My club cuts off at 1972, though this thing currently has VARA eligibility. That's one of the big issues with vintage racing-- always pick the venue first, THEN the car. Rules, eligibility vary considerably.

Those hubcaps have got to be just for show in the paddock, or maybe OK for autocross. No decent tech inspector would allow you to run a road course with hubcaps.

fiesta54
fiesta54 New Reader
6/2/14 11:55 a.m.
Basil Exposition wrote:
fiesta54 wrote: I don't believe this car is vintage legal, at least not in the group I contacted. I was told 1975 was the cutoff, as this is when there were some significant rule changes (no more fan, zero roll suspension)
My club cuts off at 1972, though this thing currently has VARA eligibility. That's one of the big issues with vintage racing-- always pick the venue first, THEN the car. Rules, eligibility vary considerably. Those hubcaps have got to be just for show in the paddock, or maybe OK for autocross. No decent tech inspector would allow you to run a road course with hubcaps.

That's exactly what I am going through now. I believe the club I am looking at just changed from 72 to 75. I've been trying to get into vintage vees for awhile but they are hard to find

subrew
subrew Reader
6/2/14 2:41 p.m.

Unfortunately most of my digital shots of my '64 Autodynamics FV aren't up right now. Here is one in the garage:

Super fun to drive. I ran it locally in NorCal for about three years. I got the bug for more speed, and built up a big 1600cc motor for a non scca group I ran with. Lots of fun with 90hp. But after about three events, I overevved on a downshift and popped it. Unfortunately the car has sat since.

If you are actually interested, I'm at the point in life where I'm ok with taking a loss, just to get everything out of the garage. The basic car itself was completely gone through when I got it. It would be available right now as a roller with a short-box trans. Or I could get the original 1200cc engine freshend up and sold as either vintage legal (with cooling fan) or with the fan removed and ducts for the remote oil cooler.

I have several sets of wheels with decent dunlop vintage legl tires, and some with modern Hoosier slicks. Also have boxes of spares.

Shoot me a PM if you really are looking. I'm located in Chico, CA.

Chris H.

fiesta54
fiesta54 New Reader
6/2/14 11:02 p.m.

In reply to subrew:

PM'ed!

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim UltimaDork
6/21/14 6:57 p.m.

I went to look at it today as the seller had been out of town. The seller clearly knows his vintage race cars and made no bones about the fact that it at least needs recommissioning as it hadn't been used in anger for a fair number of years.

The good news is that it looks like it's all there and it seems to run OK, it does need some recommissioning work (cleaning, fluid changes, safety gear needs looking at, needs belts) but it does look like a cheap real race car with a straight chassis.

Main issue I have to work out for myself is if believe that I can make the car work for me in the medium term - I've got bad/damaged knees (osteoarthritis) and while I do fit the car pretty well, getting in and out wasn't that easy for me and once I was back in my car, my knees were complaining pretty badly. I have to noodle on that for a little while, but basically that might rule out any kind of formula car or sports racer.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT HalfDork
6/21/14 8:35 p.m.

Research their crash survivability before you pull the trigger.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
d0imeYBrLQANzLwfM9WW46RQqbmtf93FjnzWsSpsY9rQ5jEgFMuTf7L3STfAmNA2