1 2 3
Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
8/10/17 11:28 a.m.
feature_image

We just got this press release in out inboxes and thought you might be interested:

Skip Barber Racing School has received U.S. Bankruptcy Court approval to sell all their assets and intellectual property to Liquid Asset Partners. The school is one of the largest racing institutions in the world. It…

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/10/17 2:06 p.m.

What, no comments? Last time we were at Road Atlanta, we saw a pile of NC Mazda MX-5s. I'm guessing that some might be available for scrap metal values.

Robbie
Robbie UberDork
8/10/17 2:09 p.m.

Oh, I'll be checking out the auction for sure

David S. Wallens
8/10/17 2:12 p.m.

And there are some photos here.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
8/10/17 2:43 p.m.

what formula cars (if any) would skippy school have in this?

Fr3AkAzOiD
Fr3AkAzOiD Reader
8/10/17 2:50 p.m.

Always liked running formula skippies in iracing.

Would it be hard to find a way to track one not competitively?

I am pretty sure no hpde groups would allow them.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
8/10/17 3:02 p.m.

Shouldn't the thread title be: Who Wants a Skip Barber Racing School LLC Car?

itsarebuild
itsarebuild Dork
8/10/17 3:07 p.m.

I now have plans for the 29th.

What's the hove's ipinion on the value of a former track school owned mx5, 911, or mustang?

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
8/10/17 3:13 p.m.

I didn't think that things rusted in Georgia, quoting from the Miata junkyard.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
8/10/17 4:30 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: What, no comments? Last time we were at Road Atlanta, we saw a pile of NC Mazda MX-5s. I'm guessing that some might be available for scrap metal values.

We Kind of already discussed this

freetors
freetors New Reader
8/10/17 5:22 p.m.

Wasn't there a thread on here not too long ago stating that all their cars are rolling heaps and constantly breaking down? Or was that another school? I wouldn't mind having a small open wheeler for autocross duty.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
8/10/17 5:52 p.m.

I'm definitely interested.

Stampie
Stampie SuperDork
8/10/17 5:54 p.m.

Any link to the actual auctions yet? I wanna do some real nasty things to a Miata.

captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
8/10/17 6:16 p.m.

If you get a Miata, also get a mustang GT, stir...

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
8/10/17 6:18 p.m.

Am I the only one who wants a semi and race trailer?

Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/10/17 6:33 p.m.

I tried to buy a Skip Barber School formula car a few years ago. It was a bare chassis with bodywork outside of the race shop at Lime Rock. To my eye, it was way better than the vintage Formula Ford chassis that I had at the time. When I finally found the guy in charge, he said, "I keep telling them to cut that thing up. Somebody's gonna get killed in that car." It looked fine to me, which really got me thinking about how little I know about that kind of thing.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
8/10/17 6:41 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: What, no comments? Last time we were at Road Atlanta, we saw a pile of NC Mazda MX-5s. I'm guessing that some might be available for scrap metal values.

IIRC, those cars basically are scrap metal.

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
8/10/17 6:57 p.m.
trigun7469 wrote: I didn't think that things rusted in Georgia, quoting from the Miata junkyard.

Really things rust badly here... those are new enough that they shouldn't be an Issue.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
8/10/17 7:08 p.m.
GTXVette wrote:
trigun7469 wrote: I didn't think that things rusted in Georgia, quoting from the Miata junkyard.
Really things rust badly here... those are new enough that they shouldn't be an Issue.

Considering that I had a 2011 vehicle partially collapse on a lift today because its jacking points were more theoretical than structural, I am thinking that maybe the concept of "rust" needs to be defined before further conversation can happen.

Also, when will Japanese manufacturers figure out rust prevention? I mean, okay, Nissan seems to have severe rust as one of its core policies, and Mazda isn't much better, but aren't NCs pretty much gone from the roads anymore because Mazda put cardboard in the front chassis rails which makes the front end just sort of fall off after a few years?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
8/10/17 7:17 p.m.

Haven't come across that. There were never all that many NCs to start with. It wasn't a huge seller.

All the cars parked in the Skip Barber graveyard were put there by accidents, then stripped of useful parts.

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
8/10/17 7:45 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: And there are some photos here.

From the looks of all those shells, Skip went bankrupt because they couldn't dial the under steer out of the NC cup chassis.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
8/10/17 8:33 p.m.
kazoospec wrote:
David S. Wallens wrote: And there are some photos here.
From the looks of all those shells, Skip went bankrupt because they couldn't dial the under steer out of the NC cup chassis.

When we ran our Miata salvage operation, 95% of the cars - all generations - had suffered front hits. We never got intact hoods, but the trunklids were always cherry. I think it's a target fixation thing.

David S. Wallens
8/12/17 5:03 p.m.

The liquidation company has posted some photos on their Facebook page.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
8/12/17 6:17 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

Funny that an auction facility from here in little Grand Rapids, Mi is is charge of a GA auction.

logdog
logdog UltraDork
8/12/17 8:32 p.m.

Apparently they already sold all the computers. They never sent an email telling me "tough luck, the class we rescheduled you for after we cancelled your class in March, has been cancelled. Sucka!". After the court date was scheduled we called to check the status and they said they were trying to restructure, but were honoring classes scheduled through the end of the year. A week before the court date I got an email offering an upgrade to the 4 day class for a discount (I ignored it). So it would appear they wanted to shake us down for more money right to the end.

Luckily, after over an hour working with the credit card company yesterday, we were given a tentative credit for the money. We have to wait for another case worker to call next week.

I wonder if I can cash in the 1000 "Skip Barber Bucks" they gave me for the last minute cancellation on some used car parts.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VsrQBmSOzeWqRtqqfDEYa54GSYwfA5cYmJ1XXe1KVyqoWv1gAEdylT0vMEEm4c3F