Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar Reader
2/13/10 10:32 p.m.

Schedule

jwdmotorsports wrote:

wheels777 wrote:
jwdmotorsports wrote: Anybody in PA know if the Carlisle Import&Kit Nationals would be worth going to to pick up challenge parts?
Don"t know about Carlisle, but Maple Grove on 4/10-11 is really a good one.

Do you have a link for this swap meet?

Here you go for the Grove: Maple Grove 2010

My wife & I hit the Carlisle Import & Replicar show on Friday for fun even if there isn't anything for us in the swapmeet (no Mopar parts at that one!).

The show is pretty light on Friday, don't know about the rest of the weekend. I can't give accurate feedback for parts deals at that show, but I've done well at the Mopar show. We've done pretty good at the Grove, and that's closer to home too.

-Rob

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
2/14/10 8:28 a.m.

I don't have the space problem. I've got an incredible shop, with most of the tools and space a guy could ask for.

My problem is finding good team mates.

I'd take a good bunch of guys to lend a hand and share in the insanity over a nice shop any time.

wheels777
wheels777 HalfDork
2/14/10 10:05 a.m.
SVreX wrote: I don't have the space problem. I've got an incredible shop, with most of the tools and space a guy could ask for. My problem is finding good team mates. I'd take a good bunch of guys to lend a hand and share in the insanity over a nice shop any time.

Well if you weren't such a mean ol' grouch. I mean Man, do you ever smile or what? Come to Pennsylvania, be a teammate, help shovel snow, join the fun, help shovel snow, we always have room for more teammates, help shovel snow, bring the thing......

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
2/14/10 2:23 p.m.

I have no space (live in an apartment) and no teammates. I WILL prevail!!!

BoneYard_Racing
BoneYard_Racing Reader
2/14/10 9:16 p.m.

Left for the shop at 9am got home an hour ago. Most of our welding is done. A few junk turbos have been combined into one super mega awesome turbo we even did a little pluming.

A quick budget question: If you buy a part say a set of rings and manage to do a stupid while installing them that requires you to buy another set of rings do both sets have to be counted?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
2/14/10 9:22 p.m.

Only parts that are on the car are included, so no. IMHO

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports HalfDork
2/14/10 10:04 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: Only parts that are on the car are included, so no. IMHO

+1

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 New Reader
2/16/10 9:46 a.m.
BoneYard_Racing wrote: Left for the shop at 9am got home an hour ago. Most of our welding is done. A few junk turbos have been combined into one super mega awesome turbo we even did a little pluming.

Going to be ready for the autocross season, or are you going to buy another car for that (or use the SRT)?

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Reader
2/16/10 4:44 p.m.

Just realized I haven't used power tools on my car yet. Its carb'd. If I'm willing to forgo welding up my headers for a pair of shorties I traded for, willing to do exhaust work with a hacksaw, file, and muffler clamps instead of a welder and cutoff wheel, cut springs with a hacksaw instead of a cutoff, forego stitch welding the chassis, and find an animal skin to add to the car, it could compete in the Caveman class. Anyone else aiming for it this year?

I already have a few hand drills my father gave me from his stash when he moved to Florida several years ago.

BoneYard_Racing
BoneYard_Racing Reader
2/16/10 10:38 p.m.
camaroz1985 wrote:
BoneYard_Racing wrote: Left for the shop at 9am got home an hour ago. Most of our welding is done. A few junk turbos have been combined into one super mega awesome turbo we even did a little pluming.
Going to be ready for the autocross season, or are you going to buy another car for that (or use the SRT)?

The SRT will be at Hershey hopefully the omni will be done for the park city event but no promises

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
2/16/10 11:30 p.m.
wheels777 wrote:
SVreX wrote: I don't have the space problem. I've got an incredible shop, with most of the tools and space a guy could ask for. My problem is finding good team mates. I'd take a good bunch of guys to lend a hand and share in the insanity over a nice shop any time.
Well if you weren't such a mean ol' grouch. I mean Man, do you ever smile or what? Come to Pennsylvania, be a teammate, help shovel snow, join the fun, help shovel snow, we always have room for more teammates, help shovel snow, bring the thing......

I've been called a lot worse, by a lesser man than you!

I'd actually ENJOY shoveling some snow!

wheels777
wheels777 HalfDork
2/17/10 4:00 a.m.
SVreX wrote:
wheels777 wrote:
I've been called a lot worse, by a lesser man than you! I'd actually ENJOY shoveling some snow!

Shoveling snow sucks. Makes me grumpy. Don't forget to bring the thing

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
2/17/10 6:47 a.m.

I think I already forgot...

...What thing?

924guy
924guy Dork
2/18/10 7:57 p.m.

?????

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
2/18/10 8:04 p.m.

That's actually what I was thinking...

wheels777
wheels777 HalfDork
2/19/10 5:39 a.m.
SVreX wrote: I think I already forgot... ...What thing?

Fits in a truck bed.....

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports HalfDork
2/19/10 9:59 a.m.
wheels777 wrote:
SVreX wrote: I think I already forgot... ...What thing?
Fits in a truck bed.....

Wasn't the Fiat 500 brought in a truck bed last year?

Spinout007
Spinout007 HalfDork
2/21/10 3:05 p.m.

Yup got pictures to prove it. That was AWESOME!

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
2/21/10 5:15 p.m.

30 feet of wooden ramps to prove it.

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports HalfDork
2/21/10 9:36 p.m.

Budget question:

if I trade something I got with the challenge car for something that's not going to be used on the challenge car, is there any method of recouping that part in the budget?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair SuperDork
2/21/10 9:46 p.m.
jwdmotorsports wrote: Budget question: if I trade something I got with the challenge car for something that's not going to be used on the challenge car, is there any method of recouping that part in the budget?

you can only recoup what you sell. you are allowed to trade parts to yourself, as long as you assign reasonable values to each part.

remember to never sell anything down to zero, as the trade rule says (loosely paraphrased) "once the recoup limit has been reached (on a car or parts), no more trading is allowed."

exST165
exST165 New Reader
2/21/10 10:32 p.m.
unevolved wrote: We're all full-time students taking at least 12 hours (I'm taking 17). We're all (with the exception of one driver) undergraduate students, most engineering.

Wow, when I was in school the engineers celebrated when they had less than 30 hours of classes and labs a week. In first year it was closer to 40 hours, but at that point they were just cannon fodder. We (Faculty of Science) thought we had it soft at around 15 hours.

Just an observation, you can file it under grumpy old men: "yep, kids these days .... "

Thomas

unevolved
unevolved Reader
2/22/10 12:18 a.m.
exST165 wrote:
unevolved wrote: We're all full-time students taking at least 12 hours (I'm taking 17). We're all (with the exception of one driver) undergraduate students, most engineering.
Wow, when I was in school the engineers celebrated when they had less than 30 hours of classes and labs a week. In first year it was closer to 40 hours, but at that point they were just cannon fodder. We (Faculty of Science) thought we had it soft at around 15 hours. Just an observation, you can file it under grumpy old men: "yep, kids these days .... " Thomas

40 hours of class? Did they have a "study hall" to do homework and get credit for that, or something?

I hardly have time to work on my OWN car, there's no way they took 40 hours calculated the same way we do.

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports HalfDork
2/22/10 6:41 a.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: you *are* allowed to trade parts *to yourself*, as long as you assign reasonable values to each part.

How does this get recorded on the budget sheet? Just "traded to self" and an explanation of the parts and a dollar amount work?

Vigo
Vigo Reader
2/22/10 2:20 p.m.
I hardly have time to work on my OWN car, there's no way they took 40 hours calculated the same way we do. I hardly have time to work on my OWN car, there's no way they took 40 hours calculated the same way we do.

Absolutely true. NOONE could take 40 hours the way it works these days. Not only that, but the schools wont let you. Because its obviously a stupid idea, and all you would do is drag down their success rate with an incredible spate of failures.

Im lucky to be able to use space at my parents' house to work on my projects. Unfortunately, its 60 miles away from where i actually live. Considering everything else i do with my time, i only work on cars on one day of each weekend, and sometimes i miss a weekend.

Looking at it that way, my 2009 car was built by two people in about 30 workdays (~8 hrs).

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
y5HLJCGKrr6DjdQOHFl5KcStFJARdks81ndpqbqfO9MIFY9KUpPZDMNI4tiRji9Q