unevolved
unevolved Reader
2/22/10 2:50 p.m.
Vigo wrote: Im lucky to be able to use space at my parents' house to work on my projects. Unfortunately, its 60 miles away from where i actually live. Considering everything else i do with my time, i only work on cars on one day of each weekend, and sometimes i miss a weekend. Looking at it that way, my 2009 car was built by two people in about 30 workdays (~8 hrs).

I'm lucky our car is a school project, else I'd never be able to spend as much time on it as I do.

unevolved
unevolved Reader
3/13/10 12:59 a.m.

Found a very challenge-friendly wideband unit I thought I'd share:

http://14point7.com/Widebands/JAW_1_041/JAW_1_041.htm

924guy
924guy Dork
3/13/10 6:38 a.m.

"jaws" have mixed results, though i am not sure if those results are due to assembly or user errors (i lean this way) or to the unit itself. either way its been on my buy one list for awhile...

in other news, i picked up a set of four khumo's last night on my way home from work, that have a bit of life left in them for $60. The guy selling them has a Ferrari 328 GT in his garage. One of which hes completely going over from the ground up, hes taken over 600 pounds off it so far , ditched the cis and built an ITB injection system, and tubbed the rear for 10" wide wheels, among many other things. Its the first "grassroots" ferrari project i have ever seen, and its stunning. the tour itself was worth the tire price, and we talked about combining forces in a Lemons (miami) effort!

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
3/13/10 9:56 p.m.

"jaws" had an initial release with special group pricing for Challenge participants. I bought one, but my car didn't make it that year.

I'm not sure if any of the Challenge JAWS made it.

bluej
bluej HalfDork
3/14/10 9:25 a.m.
SVreX wrote: "jaws" had an initial release with special group pricing for Challenge participants. I bought one, but my car didn't make it that year. I'm not sure if any of the Challenge JAWS made it.

i had one for toyzilla but of course didn't get to utilize it. according to his site, the JAW you linked which is the same or a little refined version of the one we have is discontinued. he's got an update version that looks nice and can still be put together with sensor for less than $120

he's also got a new unit (SLC_OEM) that looks interesting for combining with a megasquirt. really, you could do either.

White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy Reader
3/14/10 10:10 a.m.

This morning my gf brought up the concept of bringing her, her son, and my recently acquired $1k Sentra SE-R with a few basic mods to the Challenge - not to win, not even to be competitive, just to have fun. I like her thinking. Will just have to see if the trip itself would be in our budget this year.

924guy
924guy Dork
3/14/10 10:23 a.m.
White_and_Nerdy wrote: This morning my gf brought up the concept of bringing her, her son, and my recently acquired $1k Sentra SE-R with a few basic mods to the Challenge - not to win, not even to be competitive, just to have fun. I like her thinking. Will just have to see if the trip itself would be in our budget this year.

Dont even think about it unless you can swing Disney for a day for the kid, especially if hes pre teen and never been there. that alone will cost more than the challenge, but hell never forget it...

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports Dork
3/14/10 2:28 p.m.
White_and_Nerdy wrote: This morning my gf brought up the concept of bringing her, her son, and my recently acquired $1k Sentra SE-R with a few basic mods to the Challenge - not to win, not even to be competitive, just to have fun. I like her thinking. Will just have to see if the trip itself would be in our budget this year.

Sounds like you and I are on the same page. I'll be bringing a recently acquired CRX with a few basic mods this year. On the plus side it's prettier than last years car was. On the down side it won't be any faster.

In other news, I did pick up a set of cheap wheels this morning for my autox tires.

junpower
junpower New Reader
3/15/10 5:16 a.m.

Humm?!?! Should I bring my $700 dollar 1990 Mazda RX7? Getting it out to FL from Cali seems like a PITA.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Reader
3/20/10 9:08 p.m.

Got the (one coil cut off) front springs back in the car today, pretty much by myself. I hate doing that stuff, wondering if its gonna pop out and kill me. Also, had to cut about 5" off my spring compressor. Hope I never need it again on a larger car...

Now, reassembling the front suspension should be simple, an then I can finish cleaning the engine compartment, then its time for paint, and the drivetrain to go back in. Yay. Did get sidelined a bit today, the neighbor's daughter's boyfriend showed up in a new Nissan GT-R. First chance I got to check one out up close and personal. Neat car, I want one.

924guy
924guy Dork
3/20/10 9:15 p.m.

Test fit some parts today, Creating BadAssery! and did a mock up of fender flares Ill need IF i can find one more bbs ra 16x7 for the front. the 16x8's in the rear are HUGE on this car, but im liking it!

Challenge Porsche!

Challenge Porsche!

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid New Reader
3/27/10 7:15 a.m.

I am planning to enter the $2010 challenge with a '62 Studebaker Lark. Check it out at http://lark777.yolasite.com/

924guy
924guy Dork
3/27/10 9:24 a.m.
TheV8Kid wrote: I am planning to enter the $2010 challenge with a '62 Studebaker Lark. Check it out at http://lark777.yolasite.com/

very cool build!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair SuperDork
3/27/10 9:05 p.m.
TheV8Kid wrote: I am planning to enter the $2010 challenge with a '62 Studebaker Lark. Check it out at http://lark777.yolasite.com/

I think this is the earliest a PACC Racing challenge car has ever been let out of the bag. Usually we fear the unknown. Now, we can fear the known.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
3/27/10 9:12 p.m.

Crap-the next generation has begun.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair SuperDork
3/27/10 9:14 p.m.

Please tell me there's a sweet one-piece flip front end in this car's future!

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid New Reader
3/28/10 7:15 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair:

Maybe not for this car,but the Henry J will have one. Did you Notice the 327 we trade for a set of tires. Try and figure out what is wrong with it without reading the caption.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid New Reader
3/28/10 7:16 a.m.

In reply to MrJoshua:

Yes it has

wheels777
wheels777 HalfDork
3/28/10 10:05 a.m.

We traded a pair of tires for a 327 that only would turn 1/4 of a turn, "But, it was not siezed up". The PO wanted the intake off of the engine and had no interest in the rest. As you can see from the rust in the cylinders he was starting to tear it down and just left it sit. Grease was applied over the rust, but should sand out.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
3/28/10 10:37 a.m.

I have everything forward of the block off my car. Not a great feeling. The temptation yesterday to just rip the engine out of it for some major cleaning and some upgraded rod bolts was VERY hard to resist.

Also found out yesterday why it has a rebuilt title. It's been positively mangled in the front at least once. I'm missing a bumper support, and some of the supports up front are pretty twisted and beaten. Looks like it was repaired by a sledgehammer mechanic at some point. I'm hoping i can get it all flat enough to mount the much taller intercooler in there. Ugh.

Oh, and i snapped off an oil pan bolt. That was awesome. I think i'll just leave it there and see if it leaks.

Ran new oil and water feed lines to the turbo. I hate worm clamps.

Will update with pictures next time i touch the car. It's a bit depressing right now.

Next big decision will be whether or not to megasquirt and add larger turbo, or just spray the bejeezus out of it and invest in some better tires. I think i could hit 11s on spray.

bamalama
bamalama Reader
3/28/10 10:39 a.m.

I vote for spray, slicks, and an extra pair of axles.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
3/28/10 11:15 a.m.

Not the axles i'd be worried about. Mazda FWD transmissions are trash. Yeah, this is probably the strongest one they ever made, but it's still trash. I cringe everytime i hit full boost in 3rd gear with this thing.

bamalama
bamalama Reader
3/28/10 11:48 a.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote: Mazda FWD transmissions are trash.

My Protege wholeheartedly agrees.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
3/29/10 10:17 a.m.
bamalama wrote: I vote for spray, slicks, and an extra pair of axles.

Amen. Technically, it's only gotta make one run. Make it count.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
3/29/10 10:24 a.m.
poopshovel wrote:
bamalama wrote: I vote for spray, slicks, and an extra pair of axles.
Amen. Technically, it's only gotta make one run. Make it count.

Well... and drive home. This ain't no trailer queen. This is my DD.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FEk0VEVoU0GlKTrYIrFpU9l7oh2QkoE1Z4J9IAatFxSegPon4sIXppilHENcMNg4