2 3 4 5 6
noddaz
noddaz SuperDork
3/31/19 2:05 p.m.

Maryland has a front plate (As posted by others) and has had this since at least the 70's.  Is what it is.  After being pulled over a time or three in my youth I realized that it wasn't worth the time and money to attract the attention of the police.  I am sure the police had better thing to do at that time (late 70's early 80's) the ticket was $40 which I had better ways to spend.  

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
3/31/19 10:06 p.m.

I got pulled over for no front plate once. I got a ticket because I stupidly had illegal fireworks visible in the back seat (bottle rockets). The cop who pulled me over did not have a front plate on his crown Vic. I told the judge about that. Still had to pay the $300 fine for $10 worth of bottle rockets. Half the cops in my town don’t have front plates, which is bogus, but I have them on my cars. 

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago SuperDork
4/1/19 12:02 a.m.

I've gotten tickets in both Oregon and California for no front plate. But it's been from parking police every time. Pretty lame if you ask me. For some reason I'd be less upset if the tickets came from actual police. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/1/19 7:51 a.m.
rattfink81 said:

Yes PA talked about all the money it would save when it dropped the plate stickers then increased the yearly registration fee’s by quite a bit. 

I never had any delusions the general public would see any of the supposed savings. 

Registration fees are one of the reasons why I am pondering selling my 2006 MINI for another classic Mini.  Instead of the $80-something fee every two years (at least we have that option now), Classic/Antique registration is a $75 one-and-done payment. 

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
4/1/19 11:15 a.m.

In reply to barefootskater :

Police cars do not have to comply with all motor vehicle laws.   I think license plates ae one of them.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
4/2/19 6:48 a.m.
Ian F said:
rattfink81 said:

Yes PA talked about all the money it would save when it dropped the plate stickers then increased the yearly registration fee’s by quite a bit. 

I never had any delusions the general public would see any of the supposed savings. 

Registration fees are one of the reasons why I am pondering selling my 2006 MINI for another classic Mini.  Instead of the $80-something fee every

two years (at least we have that option now), Classic/Antique registration is a $75 one-and-done payment. 

You are misusing the antique plates. I don’t know about your state but in mine antique plates cannot be used for daily transportation. 

Roads cost a lot to maintain. Paying taxes and fees is supposed to cover that.  Every few dollars helps that.  

Have you noted the roads have been deteriorating?

Maybe too many people are cutting their operating costs, avoiding paying fees and taxes?   

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
4/2/19 7:28 a.m.
thatsnowinnebago said:

I've gotten tickets in both Oregon and California for no front plate. But it's been from parking police every time. Pretty lame if you ask me. For some reason I'd be less upset if the tickets came from actual police. 

I too have my issues with the police, but using a police officer to issue parking tickets would be a foolish waste of tax payer money.  

Parking police cost a lot less than police officers. At a minimum they are the newbie/ new hires, but in major metro areas they are a specialized position several rungs down the ladder from  police officers.  

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/2/19 8:34 a.m.
frenchyd said:
Ian F said:
rattfink81 said:

Registration fees are one of the reasons why I am pondering selling my 2006 MINI for another classic Mini.  Instead of the $80-something fee every

two years (at least we have that option now), Classic/Antique registration is a $75 one-and-done payment. 

You are misusing the antique plates. I don’t know about your state but in mine antique plates cannot be used for daily transportation. 

Roads cost a lot to maintain. Paying taxes and fees is supposed to cover that.  Every few dollars helps that.  

Maybe too many people are cutting their operating costs, avoiding paying fees and taxes?   

What are you talking about?  I absolutely use my classic cars within the PA guidelines for their registration.  That is one reason why I want to go back to a classic Mini from the 2006. I use the 2006 like a classic car, but I'm paying for it like it is a daily driver.

Please don't spew B.S. when you don't know what you're talking about.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
4/2/19 11:56 a.m.
Ian F said:
frenchyd said:
Ian F said:
rattfink81 said:

What are you talking about?  I absolutely use my classic cars within the PA guidelines for their registration.  That is one reason why I want to go back to a classic Mini from the 2006. I use the 2006 like a classic car, but I'm paying for it like it is a daily driver.

Please don't spew B.S. when you don't know what you're talking about.

Thank you for your clarification.  You did fail to mention that you were properly using the  license in your earlier post but that’s the problem of the internet. Not just you. We all strive for brevity and often leave salient details out.  

I come to this from a different position in that my daily life exposes me to a much broader perspective. Several times a week I see abuses. Daily drivers with vintage plates clearly being  as daily transportation. Or my personal one, Whiskey plates  used in violation of their restrictions.  

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
4/2/19 12:02 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Looks more to me that he "failed to mention" how he was using it at all and you just jumped to assuming the worst. That's not a problem of the internet.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/2/19 12:57 p.m.

I hate to ask this...

What restrictions are on a "Whiskey Plate"?

They appear to be a weird anomaly (perhaps unique to MN), but they do not appear to actually limit the driver in any capacity or have any restrictions in use.

I think they are a substitute tag for a driver who has had their plate impounded by a court after a DUI.  They appear to identify the driver to law enforcement as a potential risk, but do not have any actual restrictions.  The only restriction I can find is that a violator who has had their plate impounded is not permitted to drive another vehicle WITHOUT the whiskey plate.

Is there more?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
4/2/19 1:23 p.m.

I can understand state governments' interest in having an identifying tag on each end of a citizen's automobile.  What I find surprising is how many of you have an obsession with violating a reasonable law for the purpose of...???

While I understand the aesthetic objection to a front plate, I don't think it overrides government's mandate that it be present. 

Couldn't we just have covered this in a single post in the "first world problems" thread?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
4/2/19 1:25 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

I can understand state governments' interest in having an identifying tag on each end of a citizen's automobile.  What I find surprising is how many of you have an obsession with violating a reasonable law for the purpose of...???

While I understand the aesthetic objection to a front plate, I don't think it overrides government's mandate that it be present. 

Couldn't we just have covered this in a single post in the "first world problems" thread?

^All of this

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
4/2/19 1:49 p.m.

In reply to SVreX :

They are to be only used commuting to and from work  and restricted from other social activities ( can’t go bar hopping) ;-) 

And a couple of other restrictions. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/2/19 2:13 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

That’s not what it says online. 

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
4/2/19 2:37 p.m.
SVreX said:

In reply to frenchyd :

Interesting. No idea what the laws are now in FL but 25 years ago I knew a guy who was a DJ and had one he claimed restricted him from going anywhere other than work. He just carried a crate of records in the back and drove to whatever bar he wanted. Ended up getting a DUI while using his DUI plate IIRC.

Rear plate only in FL and they still caught him somehow. cheeky Heck, all those great "A Florida Man" quotes often happen in cars with rear plates only and they seem to be great at catching those guys.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/2/19 3:04 p.m.

In reply to MrJoshua :

The law definitely seems vary by state. In PA, getting one is not easy and there are a number of restrictions and exclusions.  I remember a former coworker who got a DUI along with the suspended license.  By the time he realized he could have qualified, he had already made a plea-deal that nixed it for some reason.

Shocking news: State DOT laws vary a lot. cheeky

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
4/2/19 4:09 p.m.
SVreX said:

In reply to frenchyd :

I’m not sure what state you are looking at. Last winter I had to sit through a case where the lawyer for the DUI got his client a Whiskey plate.  The Judge read the boiler plate stuff like he did it on a regular basis. •••• To be used only For commuting to and from work during normal warming hours. Not to be used for entertainment, shopping, or other recreational uses. 

Included in the deal was the 30 for 30 pledge , time served. 3 years suspended jail time. An installed breathalyzer. And a bunch of other stuff. ••••• 

(My case was dismissed and the sheriff scolded by the judge when I showed the judge the state handout about boating rules.) 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/2/19 6:49 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

I am looking at MN (where you live).

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ Dork
4/2/19 9:11 p.m.
frenchyd said:
Ian F said:
rattfink81 said:

It costs me over $16 in tolls to drive from Washington to Philly on I95.  And the road still berking blows.  They should be able to pave it in gold, heat it, and have titanium guard rails.  Maybe too many people are lining their pockets?

tux424
tux424 New Reader
4/2/19 9:37 p.m.

Ohio's Governor signed into law today to eliminate the front plate requirement. .

At the cost of an extra 10.5 cents/gal gas tax, and 19 cents/gal on diesel....

Link.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
4/2/19 9:44 p.m.
SVreX said:

I hate to ask this...

What restrictions are on a "Whiskey Plate"?

In Minnesota, drivers who get a DWI can sometimes get permission to drive on a limited basis, just to get to work and back.  They get issued special plates, colloquially called whiskey plates because their numbers start with a W. 

They are different than a collector or antique plate, of course.  Those are allowed for pleasure driving but not for a daily driver car (you do need to have at least one car registered with regular plates, in order to get collector plates on an old car.)  It may not be technically allowed, but driving a car with collector plates to work during the summer on an occasional basis generally won't get you in trouble but they will ticket people who abuse it...I used to have a neighbor who put collector plates on an old rusty Oldsmobile that she drove every day, and she got a ticket one day in January; the policeman correctly surmised she wasn't out for a pleasure drive with her beater in the snow.  :)  

noddaz
noddaz SuperDork
4/3/19 8:40 a.m.
tux424 said:

Ohio's Governor signed into law today to eliminate the front plate requirement. .

Link.

That sounds like a fair trade... frown

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/3/19 8:47 a.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

In Ohio, the DUI plates are often called Party Plates

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
4/3/19 9:51 a.m.
noddaz said:
tux424 said:

Link.

That sounds like a fair trade... frown

That's like an extra $190 a year if you drive your 20mpg diesel vehicle 20,000 miles.

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pACcmUINJiqiHw9z6W9Gpa2c0vpSf0F2JGoJgUlW3Koa4iA0RuTYdKjUQgBs4Qkc