1 2 3
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
4/8/21 11:28 a.m.
feature_image

In case you missed it, the Kia Sedona is no more, replaced with the much more exciting-sounding Carnival (which is what overseas markets have been calling the Sedona since it was introduced many years ago) for the 2022 model year.

And now, Kia has introduced its marketing campaign for the Carnival…

Read the rest of the story

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/8/21 11:45 a.m.

SUVs and minivans have been converging for a while into a form factor people like. Maybe it's the labels that are outdated.

Although it's hard not to attach the term "van" to something with a sliding side door.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/8/21 11:53 a.m.

I'm glad they did not cave and get rid of the sliding door.  Looking at you, Chevy Traverse.  

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
4/8/21 12:03 p.m.

I got all hot and bothered when I saw the commercial showing it towing a big boat, as lack of towing capacity was the only complaint I had with my Sienna. Yeah, 3500 lb capacity- same as my Sienna. Apparently big boats are weightless in Marketing World. 

spandak
spandak HalfDork
4/8/21 12:07 p.m.

The front end reminds me of an Explorer.

i think they have a winner on their hands. I totally get the appeal.

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/8/21 12:08 p.m.
spandak said:

I had the same thought.. and Keith is right.. the styling is converging.. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/8/21 12:08 p.m.

Anything named Carnival should have a deep fryer in the center console. 

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/8/21 12:09 p.m.

Perception is everything. 

Marketing is all about perception.

If it works for them, congrats.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/8/21 12:15 p.m.
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) said:

I got all hot and bothered when I saw the commercial showing it towing a big boat, as lack of towing was the only complaint I had with my Sienna. Yeah, 3500 lb capacity- same as my Sienna. Apparently big boats are weightless in Marketing World. 

I sent to video to my powerboat expert to ask him what kind of boat/trailer that is.  

How much does an small Airstream weight?  There is one of those too. 

A 1999 Airstream 19' Bambi weights 3,600 lbs...empty!  So, that doesn't work either. 

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) UberDork
4/8/21 12:29 p.m.

I like it, but am not so sure about their marketing department. Carnival? Sonata? Maybe they'll buy the rights from Nissan for the Fairlady while they're at it. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
4/8/21 12:30 p.m.

The new Kia styling language looks like a Skoda.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/8/21 1:31 p.m.
NickD said:

The new Kia styling language looks like a Skoda.

I'm really really uneasy about the new Hyundai / Kia design direction.  They were solid for a while and seemed poised to knock it out of the park, but so far they have all been foul tips.  The rear designs are spectacular on some of the new Hyundais but the fronts are headed down the gaping fish maw path that I would have figured we had all gotten tired of by now.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/8/21 1:44 p.m.

2021 Hyundai Elantra N Line

I LOVE YOU - rainbow spongebob - quickmeme

2021 Hyundai Elantra N Line

Spongebob Mocking Meme Template - Album on Imgur

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
4/8/21 1:47 p.m.

When does a minivan  change into an SUV ?

I think of a minivan as a low loading area in the back and a sliding side door , 

Chevy Astro Van  is what I have , 

But is there a list of what makes a Mini Van ?

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltimaDork
4/8/21 2:01 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

Anything named Carnival should have a deep fryer in the center console. 

Or a swimming pool on the roof and a 24/7 buffet. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UberDork
4/8/21 2:40 p.m.

My wife's first question when I ask about changing cars is, "Does it have a sliding door?" 

It's a non-negotiable requirement.

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
4/8/21 3:35 p.m.

Meh. I’m way more excited about the actual mini van Hyundai is going to build. Can’t remember the name, but it’s like a modern take on the space ship van and is the coolest looking Hyundai I’ve seen.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/8/21 3:39 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

I think of a minivan as a low loading area in the back and a sliding side door , 

I can tell you that Honda Element owners get quite excited when you refer to their rides as a minivan. This is based on a fairly small sample size of one, but boy was it fun to push that button.

So, whatever a minivan is, a Honda Element is not one. I have been so informed enthusiastically and repeatedly.

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
4/8/21 4:25 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

Anything you can do in an SUV—taking the dirt bikes out for a spin, going off the grid in a trailer, bringing the boat down to the lake—you can do with the Carnival.

So it's exactly the same as the current Sedona. 

After all that hype, I was briefly hopeful for more of a substantial revision and less of a superficial facelift... Particularly hoping for somebody to finally give one of these a towing capacity closer to the (same platform) 3-row S(C)UV's. I came in worried I would want to trade mine in for one, and am surprised to be more disappointed than relieved that I actually have absolutely zero desire to. 

And then there's reverting to the (more failed than 'minivan') MPV designation and calling it the Carnival. Is anybody, especially those concerned about the minivan image, going to be able to tell people with a straight face that they drive a Carnival? And I thought Palisade was bad...

John Welsh said:

How much does an small Airstream weight?  There is one of those too. 

A 1999 Airstream 19' Bambi weights 3,600 lbs...empty!  So, that doesn't work either. 

I believe the 16' Bambi weighs in right around 3k, with a 3.5k GVWR. So that would be just fine. Then again, empty weight is the only one that has ever even come close to mattering for automotive marketing departments and RV sales departments.

glueguy (Forum Supporter)
glueguy (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/8/21 4:41 p.m.
John Welsh said:
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) said:

I got all hot and bothered when I saw the commercial showing it towing a big boat, as lack of towing was the only complaint I had with my Sienna. Yeah, 3500 lb capacity- same as my Sienna. Apparently big boats are weightless in Marketing World. 

I sent to video to my powerboat expert to ask him what kind of boat/trailer that is.  

Well, it's on a dual axle trailer, so that's telling.  In new boats, single axle trailer up to around 3000lb boat weight, tandems for 3500 and up.  Not including the weight of the trailer......

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/8/21 4:42 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
californiamilleghia said:

I can tell you that Honda Element owners get quite excited when you refer to their rides as a minivan. This is based on a fairly small sample size of one, but boy was it fun to push that button.

So, whatever a minivan is, a Honda Element is not one. I have been so informed enthusiastically and repeatedly.

That is pretty funny. Ignoring that it can only hold 4 people, it is probably the most 2nd most useful vehicle for those that don't need to tow... Behind the minivan. 

For me, however, a requirement for a minivan is sliding doors. This one has it. It is a minvian. It is a good thing. We also have a Sedona, FWIW. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/8/21 4:46 p.m.

I will just add that this is a station wagon. It says so right on the package. It will also seat 7. Labels are hard :)

The badge on the back...

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
4/8/21 8:03 p.m.

A Sport Utility Van. SUV. 

Wait .. 

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
4/8/21 8:08 p.m.
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) said:
spandak said:

I had the same thought.. and Keith is right.. the styling is converging.. 

I actually thought the front end looked like a mini-van and the rest of it looked like an explorer.  Weird.

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/8/21 8:41 p.m.

IDK, looks like a minivan to me. 

I got excited for a moment thinking it could actually tow substantial stuff, but 3500# is pretty much what other minivans can tow.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fzWzmH041US1Gis3Gnwgm5qFJiTYHTIdyRbeUbHE8s2A0Kc7fDucEfDjM22E2v75