1 2 3
CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
4/20/19 3:59 p.m.

I have a 2008 Mazdaspeed3 that I've owned since new and I think it might be the best car in the world.   It's a fast/fun daily driver, does well in snow, handles the occasional autocross or track night with no complaints, and has lots of space in the back for friends or Home Depot runs.  Since the car now has 160,000 miles I'm thinking about what to replace it with.  Ideally, I just want the newest version of the same car.  Everytime I open a car magazine I read about how we're in a golden age of horsepower and performance; so why can't I find a car that even matches my car from over 10 years ago?  My Speed3 has 4 doors, seats 5, has a manual with mechanical LSD, 263hp, and 280ft-lbs of torque.  The sticker price in 2008 was $23,000 which is about $27K in today's dollars (accounting for inflation).  Shouldn't I be able to find something better than my current car for around $27K after 10 years of engineering progress?  Everything I know of is either way down on power (Civic SI) or costs many thousands more (Golf R).  The Veloster N is pretty close but it's still down 10hp and 20ft-lbs and is quite a bit smaller.  What am I missing here?  Where's my progress?!?  The Mustang GT is up over 100hp since 08 and the MSRP is almost exactly the same as it was back then when accounting for inflation. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/20/19 5:06 p.m.

Same boat, wife has a 2007.  Only 110,000 though.  

The Focus ST is very close but has known issues, and is going away.  Of course the recent rumors of a new Speed3... who knows, and could be years away.

It is a bit strange there is not much of a comparable car, then again it not like they sold millions of them, it was more of a halo car (along with the RX8 I guess).

We may end up with a normal 3 since we don’t race the Speed3, but that crazy boost power will be missed.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
4/20/19 7:30 p.m.

How about searching for a lower-mileage Mazda just like yours? Doesn’t answer your (good) question though.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
4/20/19 7:33 p.m.

You can easily get that power with an LSD in a Fiesta ST with some mods.  The interior will not be as nice as your 11 year old design and it is smaller inside, but it will be cheaper overall and more fun to drive.  Other than that, there is a gaping hole that Mazda and Subaru refuse to fill.  

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/20/19 7:43 p.m.

2007 here. Focus st is the closest thing I've driven since. 

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
4/20/19 7:57 p.m.

A regular (SE) GTI pretty much matches up with most of what you listed...4doors, seats 5, very good manual (6-speed), hatchback, LSD (granted it's a Haldex-style setup but it is really, really good in my experience). A bit less power stock for stock, but with just a safe ECU tune it's easy to bump it up. Plus the interior is far ahead of the MS3.  Price-wise, mine was $28k new out the door last winter (including taxes, tags, etc) with LSD, LED headlights, etc. They only get pricier if you get the all-decked Autobahn edition. 

You're gonna like what you like, and the GTI may not be as exciting to drive as the MS3, but on paper it's the comparison you're looking for.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
4/20/19 8:14 p.m.

I think as a total package the MS3 was a high point of its time period. I dont think you're overlooking anything, it's just hard to find something that much better. If you'd bought a crappy car in 2008 it would be a lot easier! 

You could hold out for a rumored upcoming MS3 but as i said in the other thread on that topic, there's no guarantee it will even be AS good of a total package by 2019 standards. 

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
4/20/19 9:00 p.m.

What issues would the Focus ST have that the Mazdaspeed3 doesn't have?

I'm asking for a friend.

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
4/20/19 9:19 p.m.

The Civic type R seems like a good spiritual successor, just more expensive and better in about ever way other than looks. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/20/19 10:33 p.m.
Knurled. said:

I'm asking for a friend.

I have heard they had some issues.  A quick search seems to indicate blown engines possible caused by low RPM pre-ignition and electrical issues. A friend of my wife has one and it has been back at the dealers numerous times and was considering some sort of lemon law.  Not sure how common issues are though.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
4/20/19 10:37 p.m.
aircooled said:
Knurled. said:

I'm asking for a friend.

I have heard they had some issues.  A quick search seems to indicate blown engines possible caused by low RPM pre-ignition and electrical issues. A friend of my wife has one and it has been back at the dealers numerous times and was considering some sort of lemon law.  Not sure how common issues are though.

That isn't specific to the ST though.  When I was in the market for a Mazdaspeed6, it was "Internet knowledge" that you should never go into boost with a DISI below 3500rpm or you'd break some connecting rods.

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
4/20/19 10:44 p.m.

All I remember is that eveyrone I knew who had MS3s repeatedly broke motor mounts. 

MTechnically
MTechnically New Reader
4/20/19 10:56 p.m.

In reply to CrashDummy :

Did I miss something? What exactly is wrong with the current MS3? Maybe I've been dealing in old cars too long, but 160,000 miles doesn't sound like that much to me. Why not just keep it if you still like it as much as you clearly seem to? Wouldn't it be cool to see your MS3 hit 200, 300, or even 500k miles?

chandler
chandler PowerDork
4/21/19 7:51 a.m.
irish44j said:

All I remember is that eveyrone I knew who had MS3s repeatedly broke motor mounts. 

Yeah, but, everyone who has a mz3 or a mz5 also repeatedly break motor mounts. It seems to just be a weak spot in the chassis. Do focus and escapes eat them also?

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
4/21/19 7:59 a.m.
chandler said:
irish44j said:

Yeah, but, everyone who has a mz3 or a mz5 also repeatedly break motor mounts. It seems to just be a weak spot in the chassis. Do focus and escapes eat them also?

Basically everything with a Duratec eats engine mounts.  They don't break, but they sag and it feels like you're driving a cement compactor.  Aftermarket ones last a couple weeks if they aren't bad out of the box, genuine Ford seem to last the longest but they are still short-lived.

My favorite was the Milan that would make hard metal to metal contact only when cornering to the left, sounding almost exactly like a bad wheel bearing but it was too abrupt.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
4/21/19 8:05 a.m.

Someone discovered that the electric focus mount was nearly solid; that one lasted 60,000 which is the most I got out of one.

joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
4/21/19 8:58 a.m.
MTechnically said:

In reply to CrashDummy :

Did I miss something? What exactly is wrong with the current MS3? Maybe I've been dealing in old cars too long, but 160,000 miles doesn't sound like that much to me. Why not just keep it if you still like it as much as you clearly seem to? Wouldn't it be cool to see your MS3 hit 200, 300, or even 500k miles?

Automotive add. I don’t know what my problem is but I’ve been switching cars every six months!

MTechnically
MTechnically New Reader
4/21/19 9:24 a.m.

In reply to joey48442 :

Admittedly, I am a bit of a serial monogamist, but I don't see the point of getting rid of something you love for something you see as a compromise.

I'm all for moving on when the spark is well and truly dead, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/21/19 10:36 a.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

OMG. 

I have a Mercury Milan that makes a noise I can not figure and only makes the noise when accelerating to the left.

I never thought of motor mount but at 105k, that makes sense! 

2010 Milan 2.5L with auto trans 

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
4/21/19 10:46 a.m.
John Welsh said:

In reply to Knurled. :

OMG. 

I have a Mercury Milan that makes a noise I can not figure and only makes the noise when accelerating to the left.

I never thought of motor mount but at 105k, that makes sense! 

2010 Milan 2.5L with auto trans 

If you have 105k on the motor mount, then it's probably 60k overdue.

For whatever reason, the 2.0/2.3/2.5 put a ton of stress on that mount.  There isn't very much vertical room for the mount so just a little bit of sag is enough to cause engine side to chassis side contact.

Me, I wonder if a cheapskate could get a die grinder in there and trim the metal parts of the mount for additional clearance.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 SuperDork
4/21/19 11:59 a.m.

My R53 Mini Cooper S went through 3 motor mounts in the 100k I owned it. Bought it new. What a POS...

Ozzy
Ozzy New Reader
4/21/19 12:11 p.m.

Yeah the new Veloster N probably comes close & it you got the performance option that bumps up the power but also puts the price closer to $30.  Though I have seen a few dealers that have some good buys on them but they are few & far between.  I have had a Veloster R-Spec for about a month & absolutely love it. But I will have to put winter tires on it once the weather turns.  I looked at the Fiesta ST but the tech was older & there were only a few new 2017s left in the US for sale.  After comparing I still would have gone with the Hyundai (never thought I'd say that about a hot hatch).  Ford, GM & Mopar aren't interesting in fun small cars anymore so there isn't a lot out there short of VW or Honda are the only ones I can think of but I don't know if they meet that $27K price point.  Maybe something used with low miles might fit the bill.

Ozzy
Ozzy New Reader
4/21/19 12:13 p.m.

In reply to Ozzy :

Just saw amg_rx7 post...  I forgot about the Mini Cooper.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/21/19 1:52 p.m.
Knurled. said:
aircooled said:
Knurled. said:

I'm asking for a friend.

That isn't specific to the ST though.  When I was in the market for a Mazdaspeed6, it was "Internet knowledge" that you should never go into boost with a DISI below 3500rpm or you'd break some connecting rods.

That was mostly fuelling  The cdfp couldn't keeps up with the fuel load needed to throw 16psi at 2800rpm. 

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
4/21/19 6:28 p.m.

Why isn’t the GTI the leading contender here?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4lyWVOpEfxXsxyqmrxXSOlJUfjeKygFKG7cWlfyPHsjwDAUgwl9Vaw3uNBfpzEfi