1 2
NickD
NickD PowerDork
7/12/19 9:05 p.m.

Haven't had assistance to try and find the sound, but noticed that my header-to-test pipe gasket was blown the berkeley out. Took the test pipe to the belt sander to get the flanges flat and put new gaskets in, hoping that was the issue. No dice, but the exhaust sounds a bit better and the off-idle stumble is better.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
9/11/19 9:10 a.m.

Finally solved this one, and boy was it a strange one.

A few years back I put on a Carbonmiata rear finish panel, which fits like E36 M3 like all their products. The two holes for the Phillips-headed bolts in the lower license plate area that hold the finish panel to the body weren't even remotely close to lining up, so I threaded the bolts in a little bit on the inside so that I didn't have holes into the trunk. Somehow, the one tightened up a little so that it was just barely contacting the back of the finish panel, and at the right RPMs would vibrate the finish panel against it and the empty trunk would magnify the sound. I have now gone and bought some M6x1.00-12 bolts and installed those instead.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
9/11/19 9:26 a.m.

Well that's bizarre

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane SuperDork
9/11/19 9:43 a.m.

Wow....  Good diagnostic work, I'm sure it's been a lloooooonnnnggg 3 months, though!

NickD
NickD PowerDork
9/11/19 10:14 a.m.
WonkoTheSane said:

Wow....  Good diagnostic work, I'm sure it's been a lloooooonnnnggg 3 months, though!

Oh, it has been. Now, if I can just get the tune sorted to make it less grumpy, I'll be back on the path to enjoying it again. Still considering retiring it from racing though.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KswHFTapPF5CQIiAmdpsohfAJMNiRLcMIQpbYIFTUe0sMTOBKMz21A4nsLy9bKUT