8 9 10 11
midniteson
midniteson New Reader
10/11/12 2:49 a.m.

In reply to thunderzy:

I see,i am a bit biased i love and own a Firebird , i searched long and hard to buy a car that came with a 5spd stock. I dont think id love it near as much without the manual behind the V8. it just makes it a bit more fun! Your bird is sweet, I'd love a second gen that can handle, good luck either way you go, just keep those tires spinning!

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
10/11/12 6:00 a.m.

In reply to Javelin:

"And here he is right on time!!!!" Ding! Ding! Ding!
Man you are nothing if not predictable.
But here's something you really need to know - I don't care what you think. I was stating an opinion, which isn't wrong the last time I checked. And not to feed the fire, but for the record even PHR (which, BTW, I have subscribed to probably since before you were born) states that the goal with that car was to build a PT car that didn't "look" like a PT car. Street legal race car clones are nothing new, and PT isn't a genre that is defined in absolute terms, which means its open to interpretation, and that's mine. Seriously, give it a break. Your "Mr. Obvious - Internet Opinion Forum Nit Pick Police Chief" routine was worn out a long time ago.

ps - I'll also save you the trouble of responding with something like "who pissed in your eggs", and tell you now that obviously, Mr. Obvious, it was you.

jmthunderbirdturbo
jmthunderbirdturbo Reader
10/11/12 7:11 a.m.

one has to wonder what the two of you could accomplish if you were banned from GRM and were forced to interact with real people and live normal lives. or if we locked you both in a room full of sharp objects and didnt open the door till the noise stopped...

tootles!

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
10/11/12 7:22 a.m.

In reply to jmthunderbirdturbo:

You have a point, and believe me when I say I would love for it to stop. I'm just very tired of getting "corrected" by him on a large number of my posts where I am expressing my opinion. I usually try to ignore it, but am just getting fed up. He states his opinions as facts when they aren't, and then attempts to correct my opinions as though I stated them as facts when I didn't. When he's not doing that he's trying to teach me about something I learned many years ago.
I come here to enjoy myself, not get pestered by some guy that apparently has something to prove. If he would leave me alone, I'd be happy to do the same.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
10/11/12 7:38 a.m.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
10/11/12 8:21 a.m.
thunderzy wrote:
midniteson wrote: In reply to thunderzy: Keep the Bird! swap in a 4,5,or 6 speed and tear it up out there!
Much easier said than done. The 403 olds never came with a manual from the factory in any car. I did the research on it yrs ago. But it's a lot more involved than most cars.

I say keep the Bird. So much cooler than an a S10 anything. And they make TONS of chassis and motor upgrades for them.

Mine came with an Olds 403 too, but it's long gone now. For those who don't know, there's no provision in the 403 crank for a pilot bearing, so either you have to have it machined or you swap in an earlier 350 crank, but then (I think, I may be wrong, a little rusty on 403 knowledge) you lose some of the stroke. It's a total PITA for those who want a stick.

Personally, I'm not much of a 403 fan. Mine left a sour taste in my mouth with all it's issues. Plus, there's the whole windowed main nonsense. Yes they make main girdles, but power adders are still a no-no. For all the work you would have to put into one to make ridiculous and dependable power, you could just build a Pontiac motor, or even an LS motor, and you can go as fast as your wallet can carry you with those power plants.

You could always throw in a built TH200/4R for an extra gear if you want to keep the 403. Sticks are more fun (I wish my Bird had one) but you still can do well with one of these. They are more or less a direct swap, and they made them with B-O-P bellhousings. I have one in my future plans to go behind my 400.

Besides the motor nonsense.... How do you like the Pro Touring F-Body stuff? My car has the WS6 package, and I was wondering how much of an upgrade that stuff is over the stock stuff.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
10/11/12 8:44 a.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

Apparently you have no clue what the smilies mean, despite using them in your bait post. If you can't handle a joke, get off the internet.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
10/11/12 9:07 a.m.

In reply to Javelin:

I can take a joke, but there wasn't anything in your last reply to indicate a joke, and if I thought it was worth the time and effort I could also dredge up several replies you've made to me that were clearly not at all worded as a joke, and were in fact confrontational. Even your last reply used only the emoticon. You used that to identify it as a joke? Maybe try next time, except do it to someone else, not me.

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
10/11/12 9:21 a.m.

Yeah, a smiley's not an inoculation against being annoying.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
10/11/12 10:10 a.m.

Let's cool down and play nice here guys.........there is no prize handed out to the best internet debater.

Hey look! Another cool car we can all agree to like!

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/11/12 10:12 a.m.

In reply to Joe Gearin:

I disagree with you!!!!

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
10/11/12 10:25 a.m.

Liar!

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
10/11/12 10:43 a.m.

You guys should really get a grip. I just wish they had aluminum V8's readily available and cheap back when I had my V8 Vega.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
10/11/12 10:58 a.m.

Protouring Gbody cutlass? Yes please

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
10/11/12 10:59 a.m.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
10/11/12 10:59 a.m.

Steve Chryssos
Steve Chryssos Associate Publisher
10/11/12 11:01 a.m.

Gosh, I leave the party for a few weeks and my favorite subject finally comes up.

There are certainly no budget, marque, or country of origin requirements in Pro-Touring. And really the lowest common denominator is to make your old turd stop, steer and accelerate better than it did back in the day. Beyond that, there really are no rules. My own car has about $50K in it, but I've been building it since age 13, so amortize that number over 25 years.

As for the performance driving events, they were set up to drag people out of their lawn chairs, and away from that doo-wop music that infects typical street rod events. There really is no expectation of beating up on short wheelbase, low center of gravity, two-seat sports cars, just a directive to get your car done and use it.

During my stint at GRM, pro-touring cars were invited to UTCC and they finished about where one should expect: Mid pack. Behind the dedicated race cars and dedicated track-day sports cars such as tweaked M3's and STI's, but ahead of the tweaked small bore and front drive cars.

That's on a road course, t picture changes again on an autocross course where an H stock car might spank even a high end pro-touring car, unless of course that pro-touring car were some ingenious cross between a 370Z and a 68 Datsun Roadster, which reiterates that lowest common denominator mentioned earlier:

Classic style, modern performance - everything else is subjective.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
10/11/12 11:03 a.m.

and a few Notable Mentions gleaned from the search

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
10/11/12 11:03 a.m.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
10/11/12 11:05 a.m.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
10/11/12 11:07 a.m.

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz Reader
10/11/12 5:32 p.m.

Mary Pozzi's Camaro http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9Vz-42Kc2s

ransom
ransom SuperDork
10/11/12 6:14 p.m.

I don't want to like the Regals as much as I do...

I want my '64 Ranchero back. This seems like a good use for it...

nicksta43
nicksta43 Dork
10/11/12 9:18 p.m.

In reply to 4cylndrfury:

I noticed something in those pictures you posted.

All of them have bad ass front air dams.

jde
jde Reader
10/11/12 9:42 p.m.

Contributions from a big cruise-in I stumbled across while working in Boston...

Not really sufficiently PT, but dig that era stepside.

Darn, not as much PT as I thought there, on to other folders.

8 9 10 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WYXyKGGKDOQg6nJwK7ScWFnPlQP6IFAKg30F1yLUObYRGrLE5SPnyd3zQEwngf3x