1 2 3 4
Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/7/16 5:15 a.m.
irish44j wrote:
markwemple wrote: My parents just sold a 2011 legacy with 80k that was starting to rust
strange, my 09 WRX has 130k miles and a lot of winter driving and no rust anywhere except in the paint chips on the hood (subaru paint sucks...)

You live in DC. Your cars don't see salt with the same frequency as those up in the rust belt do.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
4/7/16 7:28 a.m.

What are the differences between AWD systems in the V70R and an AWD V70 T5?

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
4/7/16 8:22 a.m.
Woody wrote: What are the differences between AWD systems in the V70R and an AWD V70 T5?

If anyone answers this can they comment on the XC70 too? I love the way they look with the cladding and think a lowered one would be awesome.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture PowerDork
4/7/16 8:36 a.m.
Woody wrote: What are the differences between AWD systems in the V70R and an AWD V70 T5?

The AWD system itself is the same between the R, T5 AWD, and XC70. All Haldex with a FWD bias. The later Rs had a beefier 6-speed auto transmission (the T5 and XC70 only ever got a 5-speed, IIRC) but that's about it. They just have different suspension setups and engine options. The XC70/T5 actually has a better turning radius than the R, because the steering stops are set waaaay out from the factory on the R to compensate for the wide wheels and prevent rubbing.

Shaun
Shaun HalfDork
4/7/16 10:48 a.m.

As a happy owner of a V70R I ponder this as well.

Woody wrote:
Huckleberry wrote: That would be fine if bmw didn't make an e46 wagon with a zf transmission and rear biased awd. Or, rwd.
As I continue to ponder this, I am more and more intrigued by this idea. As a bonus to my Inner Cheapskate, I already have an extra set of BMW wheels. Stand by for another *Learn Me* thread...
Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/7/19 3:50 p.m.

I am bumping my own three year old thread with another question.

Do the earlier, less powerful first generation cars tend to be friendlier to the all wheel drive stuff?

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
8/7/19 4:26 p.m.
Woody said:

I am bumping my own three year old thread with another question.

Do the earlier, less powerful first generation cars tend to be friendlier to the angle drive?

What do you mean by "first generation"?

I sought out an '06-07 because it has the precharged Haldex that can transmit torque instantly instead of with a delay.  The '06-07 also has a larger rear stabilizer (at least, the sedan does).  Also, because of reasons beyond what I feel like justifying, I instsed on an automatic, and the '06-07 auto has no torque restriction like the frankly-kinda-weak 5 speed auto and has the beefier angle gear design from the V8 XC90, although it still only has the 1000n-m Haldex and not the 1500n-m unit the big SUV got.  (I guess it's too physically large to fit).

People make 600+ wheel horsepower on the manual trans and '04-05 drivetrain no problem.  I don't think the Haldex can transmit enough torque to hurt the infamous drive collar, unless it is worn out.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/7/19 4:49 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

98-2000

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/7/19 5:55 p.m.

The early ones, up to 02, use a viscous clutch on the front of the diff.  It makes tire matching critical, and doesn't change much as far as the drive splines to the angle drive.  Mismatched tires front to rear on the viscous cars, like worn ones on the back and new ones on the front in the same size, will kill something in no time at all.

The rest of them would be just fine if people would drop the angle drive every few years, and grease the splines.  The R uses a bigger drive on the later ones, but it makes it far easier to buy the wrong parts.  R?  Not R?  Auto?  Manual? which version...It was a pain, because even the Volvo parts listings are vague.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
8/7/19 5:55 p.m.

In reply to Woody :

Weren't those front wheel drive?

Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/7/19 7:40 p.m.
Knurled. said:

In reply to Woody :

Not in the US.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/7/19 8:59 p.m.
Duke said:

That car in the OP is pretty much my ideal vehicle... I need a moment.

Heh, 3-1/2 years later, I bought its modern equivalent!

Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/8/19 6:23 a.m.
Duke said:
Duke said:

Heh, 3-1/2 years later, I bought it’s modern equivalent!

Wow, you really did, didn't you?!

Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/8/19 6:29 a.m.

For those who have made the case for the FWD T-5 over the V70R...believe me, I get it. But it seems that the T-5/FWD combo is impossible to find around here. And when one comes along, the price is either sky high ("I know what I got") or they disappear moments after being listed.

It's sort of the same thing with BMWs up here. It's not that hard to find an AWD wagon, but if you want RWD only, forget it.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/8/19 6:31 a.m.
Woody said:
Duke said:
Duke said:

Wow, you really did, didn't you?!

Yeah, but I wish it had those R wheels - and the squarer roofline.  But close enough!

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
8/8/19 7:02 a.m.
Duke said:
Duke said:

Joooin uuuus....   laugh

Volvos are like Subarus that don't rust.  They're fun enthusiast-nerd cars.

Wiscocrashtest
Wiscocrashtest New Reader
8/8/19 11:12 a.m.
Knurled. said:

In reply to Woody :

After one or two hard launches, yes.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
8/8/19 11:19 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

The early ones, up to 02, use a viscous clutch on the front of the diff.  It makes tire matching critical, and doesn't change much as far as the drive splines to the angle drive.  Mismatched tires front to rear on the viscous cars, like worn ones on the back and new ones on the front in the same size, will kill something in no time at all.

It blew my mind when I found out that tire wear largely won't affect a Haldex, and you can tow them rear wheels down.

You post jogged something in my memory - supposedly around that time, the ratio in the angle gear changed.  I wonder if that coincided with the switch to Haldex.  Volvo being a smaller company would probably aim to alter the angle gear ratio so they could use a more common component from an outside supplier, and everyone and their brother uses Haldex.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/8/19 9:05 p.m.

There has been a notable development...

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
8/8/19 9:10 p.m.

In reply to Woody :

Exciting! I have to say, this thread makes me think to myself, "Why exactly wouldn't a Volvo V70R be the perfect car for me?"

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
8/9/19 6:57 a.m.
Woody said:

I saw a CL link for a 2004 V70R 6 spd in CT posted on Facebook yesterday.  Somewhat rare turquois color.  Over $17K asking price, tho... which seems kinda high for a 15 year old Volvo.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/9/19 7:51 a.m.
Ian F said:
Woody said:

I saw a CL link for a 2004 V70R 6 spd in CT posted on Facebook yesterday.  Somewhat rare turquois color.  Over $17K asking price, tho... which seems kinda high for a 15 year old Volvo.

Nope.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan Reader
8/9/19 7:56 a.m.
Wiscocrashtest said:
Knurled. said:

In reply to Woody :

After one or two hard launches, yes.

Funny, not funny.  

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
8/9/19 8:17 a.m.
Woody said:

And where are the pictures of said development?

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
8/9/19 8:51 a.m.
Ian F said:
Woody said:

Confluence of R, wagon, manual trans, and that color...  $17k is about right if it is maintained.

Volvo pervs love them some wagons.  And manual trans is a very valuable option.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vbvdLYwGKcSiKhGl7ecCfQCjwQ7kGfenFH5YCO14SxrPrQcIXt0rKoCUJ28rIDuB