1 2 3 4
T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
1/8/13 9:23 p.m.

Because Mustang.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
1/8/13 9:30 p.m.
Vigo wrote: To be honest, a stock 5.0/5spd sn95 is closer in acceleration to a 3.8/5spd camaro than to a 5.7/6spd camaro.

Having driven many examples of all three, I agree with this. Also, a 3.8 4th Gen makes a great project car. A guy in our 3800 Club has one that he had swapped a GTP blower onto, and now a custom turbo kit, that's deep into the 12's.

dean1484
dean1484 UltraDork
1/8/13 9:51 p.m.

I have a 94 v6 and it is nothing more than an appliance that looks good. If I was shopping for another I would get a 94 gt due to them being emissions exempt. 95 and up are obd2 and get emission testing here in ma.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
1/8/13 9:52 p.m.

V8 cars went OBD2 in 1996.

dean1484
dean1484 UltraDork
1/8/13 9:57 p.m.
pres589 wrote: V8 cars went OBD2 in 1996.

Good to know I thought the change was for the 95 v8. The interesting thing is my 94 v6 is obd2 but because it is a 94 it is exempt.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver SuperDork
1/8/13 10:07 p.m.
Javelin wrote:
Vigo wrote: To be honest, a stock 5.0/5spd sn95 is closer in acceleration to a 3.8/5spd camaro than to a 5.7/6spd camaro.
Having driven many examples of all three, I agree with this. Also, a 3.8 4th Gen makes a great project car. A guy in our 3800 Club has one that he had swapped a GTP blower onto, and now a custom turbo kit, that's deep into the 12's.

Here you go. (Local to Slick, too)

Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
1/9/13 7:33 a.m.

For suspension upgrades on an SN95, just go to Maximum Motorsports.

dean1484
dean1484 UltraDork
1/9/13 7:52 a.m.

Thee is a HUGE amount of info over on cornercarvers about making mustangs handel, stop and go.

dj06482
dj06482 Dork
1/9/13 7:58 a.m.

Most of the talk so far has been engine-related, but the SN-95s and New Edges have some big advantages over the Fox body Mustangs, as well:
- 4 wheel disc brakes, including some pretty cheap upgrade paths to Cobra parts (compared to the Fox).
- Better front wheel bearing design, more reliable for Track work.
- 5 lug wheels vs. 4 lug. Many, many good wheel options are out there.
- Can run wider tires without modifications than the Fox Mustangs
- Chassis is marginally stiffer

94-95s are the last two years of the 5.0 motor, as many have mentioned. There's not as large of an aftermarket for the '94-95 (relative to the Fox and New Edges), and the tuning can be more difficult. The '96-98s are generally unloved, as has been mentioned here. I would consider the PI motor to be roughly equivalent to the 5.0, a bit less low-end, but with a better top-end pull. Don't fear a higher rear axle ratio on the modular motors, as it's often the best bang for the buck modification.

As with the Fox bodys, chassis stiffening with full length, weld-in subframe connectors should be your first priority. From there I'd upgrade the brakes, and then work on locating the rear axle better. Some additional camber up front will help, and even though they sound great from the factory, a cat-back exhaust on the modular motors sounds wonderful. An aftermarket X or H-pipe will also wake things up a bit, and they respond very well to tuning.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler Dork
1/9/13 8:16 a.m.

Having owned two Fox bodies, two SN95s, and a 95 Z28, I think I can speak with some authority on this subject. dj06482 nailed the SN95 advantages over the Fox. But one thing to keep in mind is that the Fox chassis can be stiffened, the SN95 brakes and bearings are a pretty straightforward upgrade, and it will always be lighter.

I simply don't see any reason to buy a 96-98 car. A 94-95 will be cheaper, have much more aftermarket and potential, no OBD2 to worry about. The exception being a 96-98 Cobra.

My last SN95 was a 95 automatic convertible. What a dog. I mean, it was slow. It would have been lucky to break into the 15s in the quarter, no exaggeration. The automatics are hopeless, avoid, avoid, avoid.

The early 4th gen F-body is a superior car in most performance-related ways. The LT1 has the 5.0 beat pretty handily with 48 more cubic inches, aluminum heads from the factory, etc. There is the Duraspark thing, but I understand there are workarounds these days. You also get a T-56, SLA front suspension, and a factory torque arm/panhard bar rear. The Mustang simply has no answer for most of that. But, on the other hand, they are a king-size PITA to work on, it took me 12 hours to do a plug change on mine. There is a pretty good aftermarket, but it's not as big as the Mustang one, and not nearly as cheap. I was spoiled by $150 headers for Mustangs, that was part of the reason I sold my Camaro. The seating position is a love-it-or-hate-it thing, you sit practically on the ground. The doors are f-ing huge. It's a big car, and it's heavier than a Mustang. In the end, it was a great car, but it just wasn't "me", I felt more comfortable in the Mustang world. But I'm a Ford guy at heart, so take that into consideration.

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
1/9/13 10:48 a.m.

KATYB
KATYB Dork
1/9/13 11:24 a.m.

i apologize for my error. however i now have a want for a 5.0 powered sn95..........

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
1/9/13 11:51 a.m.

You could always be a dick and swap the 3.8L s/c from a supercoupe into a 94-5 v6 SN.....The only one I've seen that done to did run 12's at the strip.

That said, with 4th gen f-bodies, yes the lsx cars make power easier than pretty much any mustang(still a PITA to work on), the LT series cars, not so much(plus an immense PITA to do anything on) I'll take a SN 5.0L anyday just due to engine bay design and accesability. But what do I know, I only worked on 4th gens when I was in college.

dean1484
dean1484 UltraDork
1/9/13 12:35 p.m.

V6's have there own set of problems. Get a GT with a motor that is toast and do the sc swap. The v6 cars are nothing more than a glorified appliance.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
1/9/13 2:39 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: V6's have there own set of problems. Get a GT with a motor that is toast and do the sc swap. The v6 cars are nothing more than a glorified appliance.

You'd need the gt stuff, but wiring and such would be easier to start with IIRC. If I see the guy again up here, I'll ask for the creamy details. His is a V6 shell though.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UberDork
1/9/13 2:48 p.m.

The 3.8 is notorious for headgaskets not lasting (we had one.. 94 v6 auto, blown HG at 80k miles)

V6 cars come with poor brakes, 7.5" rear end, plus an engine and trans that you won't enjoy. If you are going to full build, it might be ok and end up slightly lighter... but at more effort.

Why supercharge the 3.8 when you can supercharge the 5.0? Kits for the 302 are cheap.

A few tips on SN-95 mustangs..

There is a rubber snorkel on the airbox.. remove it for better flow.

On some convertables there is a ballast weight bolted to the inner right fender used to dampen cowl shake, remove for a good weight reduction.

If you have something heavy in the trunk shift around then the car stops, the fuel impact shutoff is behind the drivers taillight in the trunk. hit the reset button.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler Dork
1/9/13 2:51 p.m.
Apexcarver wrote: The 3.8 is notorious for headgaskets not lasting (we had one.. 94 v6 auto, blown HG at 80k miles) V6 cars come with poor brakes, 7.5" rear end, plus an engine and trans that you won't enjoy. If you are going to full build, it might be ok and end up slightly lighter... but at more effort. Why supercharge the 3.8 when you can supercharge the 5.0? Kits for the 302 are cheap. A few tips on SN-95 mustangs.. There is a rubber snorkel on the airbox.. remove it for better flow. On some convertables there is a ballast weight bolted to the inner right fender used to dampen cowl shake, remove for a good weight reduction. If you have something heavy in the trunk shift around then the car stops, the fuel impact shutoff is behind the drivers taillight in the trunk. hit the reset button.

I agree with everything in this post except for one caveat: V6 and GT have the same brakes. The Cobra is the only one that's different.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UberDork
1/9/13 2:58 p.m.

Huh... didnt realize that. My V6 didnt have ABS so thats what my disconnect was.

Still.. your really going to want the 8.8 rear for any power.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle Reader
1/9/13 6:41 p.m.

You guys aren't making any easier for me to get rid of my 1995 GT. It lives in the garage because I hardly ever drive it. I have a TON of parts including GT40 heads, Explorer intake, Trickflow Stage 1 cam, MM caster/camber plates and Tokico D-Spec shocks (couldn't afford Bilsteins), all still in the box!

I have been through 3 exhaust systems. Flowmaster, MAC and now SLP (on the car now). Coupled with an offroad X-pipe, it sounds like impending doom approaching.

I need to get off my ass and drive it

Will
Will Dork
1/9/13 6:48 p.m.
yamaha wrote: You could always be a dick and swap the 3.8L s/c from a supercoupe into a 94-5 v6 SN.....The only one I've seen that done to did run 12's at the strip.

Buying a good 5-speed Supercoupe might be cheaper, and to my mind, would be cooler. I know not all will agree, and that's fine.

Caleb
Caleb Reader
1/9/13 9:00 p.m.

The wife in our 95gt

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
1/10/13 8:15 a.m.

In reply to stanger_missle:

TFS stage 1?

Idle and rev video or it didn't happen!

I had one of those in a '91 LX. I LOVED that rumpity-rump!

Gasoline
Gasoline Dork
1/10/13 9:08 a.m.

I've been a big fan of the "The Banana" at KOTS for a long time.

If I was going to build a street legal Mustang, here in Atlanta, I would have to consider 2 other things.

1) What year is emission exempt? 2) Insurance - The older a car is, the easier to insure.

The Fox Body would be a better choice (at the moment).

As the SN95 platform ages, the more consideration it would get.

Gasoline
Gasoline Dork
1/10/13 9:10 a.m.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle Reader
1/10/13 10:03 a.m.

In reply to The_Jed:

Yes, TFS Stage 1... I would totally make a video but the cam is still in the box along with every other part hahaha... I agree that that cam sounds amazing in a SBF... Someday I might install it

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
If0LkRiiOQGExjFftueTXlemFPiSRe8IvZW5BECf7aHkoOtLHP3wGpFuZzrAeBP7