2 3 4 5
Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
1/12/13 11:35 p.m.
I almost got out accelerated by a mid 90's Cutlass Supreme on a merge lane.

Well, the ones with the DOHC 3.4 were kinda quick.

Caleb
Caleb Reader
1/13/13 7:49 a.m.

The 96-98's gt's have the non PI head 4.6 and are so slow, there rated at 215hp for the 96-97 and 225 for the 98 but from the dyno's i've seen 165-170 is all you get at the wheels with 190ish torque.

The 94-95 gt's on the other hand are "rated" at 215 but dyno at 190ish and 270ish torque

Both would be with a manual trans the factory autos in these cars are terrible, and eat so much power.

Enyar
Enyar Reader
1/14/13 9:34 a.m.
stanger_missle wrote: In reply to Enyar: Are you referring to the fender extensions? The piece behind the front wheels? Yeah, the kit is complete but it's not a genuine Saleen kit. Its an ABC Exclusive fiberglass kit. The previous owner put it on poorly. I also have a S351 wing that I took off. It was gaudy and blocked half of the rear window...

No, actually on the door there is a piece of molding that is supposed to make it flush with the side skirts.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
1/14/13 10:28 a.m.
Caleb wrote: The 96-98's gt's have the non PI head 4.6 and are so slow, there rated at 215hp for the 96-97 and 225 for the 98 but from the dyno's i've seen 165-170 is all you get at the wheels with 190ish torque. The 94-95 gt's on the other hand are "rated" at 215 but dyno at 190ish and 270ish torque Both would be with a manual trans the factory autos in these cars are terrible, and eat so much power.

This, there is a reason why the SHO's had a reputation for beating mustangs while roll racing....

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/14/13 10:35 a.m.
Gasoline wrote:

I don't really like Mustangs much, but i still want one of these.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/14/13 10:36 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: The problem with the Mustang is that there are too many other models and options to compare it against. A $2K Mustang is not going to be as good as a new Boss 302, duh. Compare it to other options available for 2K, and the Mustang is an easy choice.

Gimme the Corolla, i'd love to have a clean 2dr ~94 'Rolla.

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
1/14/13 10:45 a.m.

In reply to Swank Force One:

2 door '94 rolla? I don't believe such a thing exists in the states.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/14/13 10:56 a.m.
singleslammer wrote: In reply to Swank Force One: 2 door '94 rolla? I don't believe such a thing exists in the states.

Good point. I am now sad. Thanks.

Teggsan
Teggsan Reader
1/14/13 10:57 a.m.

To make an SN95 tractable, you pretty much have to replace/beef up/reconfigure the entire suspension. Way beyond sway bars and shocks.

If you look at the American Iron leaderboards, you'll see that most of the fastest guys are running S197s, the next fastest guys are running F-bodies, and then there are some SN95s.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
1/14/13 11:27 a.m.
Teggsan wrote: To make an SN95 tractable, you pretty much have to replace/beef up/reconfigure the entire suspension. Way beyond sway bars and shocks.

I kinda think your exaggerating the case here.

There are many people who say that you have to throw a ton of stuff at them for the suspension to be any fun at all. (new K-member, geometry fixes, torque arm, etc..) This is UNTRUE.

Don't expect it to handle like an M3 out of the box, but its not as bad as people want you to think.

Springs, Sways, shocks, and CCplates have mine to a point that its a lot of fun. Are there areas to improve? yes. Doesn't mean its not fun or fast.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
1/14/13 11:59 a.m.

In reply to Teggsan:

What's "tractable" mean here and then why are you using that word in comparison with the leader-board of a national racing series?

Here's my plan that I hope to slowly accomplish on my convertible street driven SN95; adjustable tie-rod ends to diminish bump steer. '03-04 Cobra control arms on the front. Subframe connectors, weld-in. MaxMotorsport torque arm and panhard rod. Springs with corrected rates for changes to rear, and lower the car slightly. Bilstein shocks.

The only other change would be Cobra front brakes. Right now I'm still collecting parts, as it doesn't make a lot of sense to do some of these then remove or open these parts back up to accomplish another task later. But the car isn't horrible as is, it just isn't all that hot. And it's still an enjoyable drive.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/14/13 12:03 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
singleslammer wrote: In reply to Swank Force One: 2 door '94 rolla? I don't believe such a thing exists in the states.

Hey, Slammer. We've got access to a plasma cutter and welders. Lets make one just to piss him off.

Gasoline
Gasoline Dork
1/17/13 7:27 a.m.

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
1/17/13 8:37 a.m.

In reply to N Sperlo:

How 'bout no Scott.

Woodward_Dreams
Woodward_Dreams New Reader
1/17/13 6:25 p.m.

I've owned both.

My 96 Camaro Z28 was very quick (for a $3700 car) and handled great. The seating position was much better for my 6'5" body and you actually felt like you were driving something cool. I miss that car.

My current 03 Mustang GT is much slower (despite being 7 years newer) has a much worse seating position, has weird and light steering, and has very 'floaty' suspension. The brakes are a million times better than the camaro's brakes.

With all that said, either car can be turned into something truly special and fun. Parts are relatively cheap for both and they are both dependable (except for the camaro's Opti which is occasionally dumb). I honestly think that both cars look good with the right wheel, tire, spring combination.

Between the two, it just comes down to preference and what you want to do with the car.

M030
M030 Dork
7/5/16 3:59 p.m.

Is it fact or myth that the entire rear subframe, IRS and all, from a +/- 1994 Thunderbird bolts right in place of the original Mustang live axle and suspension?

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
7/5/16 4:14 p.m.
M030 wrote: Is it fact or myth that the entire rear subframe, IRS and all, from a +/- 1994 Thunderbird bolts right in place of the original Mustang live axle and suspension?

Myth.

The entire subframe and IRS from a 99, 01, and 03-04 Cobra bolts-in to any fox-body though.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
7/5/16 4:16 p.m.

Also, my response in this thread was some hilarious foreshadowing.

So, yeah, SN95 is the answer. Just buy a way over-modded Cobra for nothing.

I should also point out that I bought a 4th gen Z28 LT1 car last week like the one I hotlinked. It's almost like I'm predictable!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair UltimaDork
8/25/16 3:19 p.m.

In reply to jj:

There's always interest in that stuff here!

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
8/25/16 4:33 p.m.

Its been said that I am an instigator of expensive projects for my friends, and so I tried another today. Local insurance salvage has a 02 GT convertible that is quite badly sideswiped, and a friend has been casually looking for a powertrain donor for a Model A coupe for some time. 4.6, 5 speed, 8.8 would all work quite nicely. Front suspension, being strut, wouldn't be ideal. Still...

Problem is, this project would probably involve several hundred hours of my very own personal labour. This is the downfall of my project inspirations. They almost always involve a great deal of work on my part.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy PowerDork
8/25/16 5:50 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote:

The two door was called a Paseo, wasn't it? Kind of like the 200sx was the two door Sentra.

I like the look of the older SN95s, and every once in a while I consider buying one. However, the newer cars are so much better overall, I always come to my senses in time.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture PowerDork
8/25/16 6:28 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy:

The Paseo was more Tercel than Corolla, IIRC.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy PowerDork
8/26/16 9:12 p.m.

Yep, you're right.

96BlacGt
96BlacGt New Reader
1/31/24 11:07 p.m.

In reply to Caleb :

A stock 5.0L cannot beat a stock 98 4.6L GT.

camopaint0707
camopaint0707 Reader
2/1/24 6:49 a.m.

my v6 sn95 seems to be the answer for local rallycross, so long as it's not muddy.

2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3D7S89tJlhbdny3zVmAst35EhyTCOXbVqxKqyvgUxH6dIWJRd7I7dAqJAFIpJBnQ