4 5 6
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/25/20 10:50 p.m.

FM has AC tools and I have coworkers with the necessary skills. They're just not in my garage!

My green car has an intact system and I think it's even been converted - it was done a couple of years ago. So it should be possible. In the meantime, we just drop all the windows and enjoy the pillarless hardtop :)

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/26/20 11:27 a.m.

This is turning in to the Keith Tanner car blog. I am digging it!!!  

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/2/20 5:30 p.m.

Gratuitous Cadillac update. I had to run over to a different location to shoot this week's FM Live video. It's 90 degrees outside. I thought about taking the MG but decided on the Cadillac. It became obvious that the AC does not work, but four windows down and parking in the shade is a fully acceptable substitute.

Also, those who have suffered through all of this thread may remember that the car had a shake that I was blaming on flat-spotted tires that hadn't been warm yet. Well, turns out I was right. There's no indication of any shake. Just smooooooth cruising.

I really need to fix the radio or arrange for some other tunes.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
11/5/20 7:55 p.m.

Random update for no real reason!

The car has become our "let's take a special car" car. We have the noisy little sports cars...but this is the one that feels like a treat instead of abuse. So it gets the nod when it's time to go get ice cream or I need to go to the shop or it's just a nice day. I still have a to-do list for it but it fires up every time and just cruises around. It also gets big thumbs up from other drivers on a regular basis. Everyone loves a big old Cadillac.

And unless someone filled it up when I wasn't looking, we got nearly 17 mpg on the last tank. I think someone forgot to reset the odometer. That seems implausible.

I sent a couple of pictures to the guy who sold me the car - remember, it was his grandfather's and the whole family came out to wave goodbye when I took it away. He seemed pretty happy that it was out majestically touring the roads again.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
11/6/20 9:31 a.m.

Took the Caddy over to a friend's house to pick up some parts. His wife looked out the window when I pulled up and said "The longest car in the world is here!"

Jesse Ransom (FFS)
Jesse Ransom (FFS) UltimaDork
11/6/20 1:26 p.m.

This thread makes me want a cool cruiser every damn time I open it.

Caddy, Galaxie, Jaguar, something...

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/5/21 11:05 a.m.

Gratuitous Cadillac update for those who like gratuitous Cadillac updates. The rest of you can move along.

Spent some time looking at how to replace the pulsing drum on the left front over the weekend. Turns out I need a press to remove the old hub from the drum and new studs. Studs are cheap and readily available but not at my house. Nor do I have a press. So I just reinstalled. I can live with it for now.

Had to do tech at a track day on Saturday but I couldn't run, so the Cadillac got the nod for transport. There were many jokes. I did point out I had the largest engine there.

And I gave it a wash. She scrubs up good. It's sure not perfect paint but it's good enough. I still have a big to-do list to continue to restore the beast but it's 100% useable right now and that's what I want.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
4/5/21 11:19 a.m.

I love it , its such a BEAST , and to some people so anti-social :)

Do you have your Black flag bumper sticker on the back ?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/5/21 11:22 a.m.

I don't know what a black flag bumper sticker is.

I have yet to come across anyone who finds it anti-social. Reactions range from random thumbs up to amused comments about acreage, but never disapproval.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/5/21 11:46 a.m.

Ah, figured it out. The Atari remake of The Boys of Summer, they changed the lyric "...a dead head sticker on a Cadillac" to "...a black flag sticker on a Cadillac" because of some punk band.

Not for me. I'll leave that to the guys who pull out the springs and do rattlecan paint jobs. This car is a survivor and is very enjoyable as-is.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
4/5/21 12:15 p.m.

Yeah Black Flag was the local Punk band  that  plastered bumper stickers all over the area , 

They became  semi-famous in the Punk world

4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Q2E0wPPc8PQQhyQ51tuqZOnXnoLTdSPeZ3g1SgeY6QbX7uYEc1ymTAL9oz614ibi